Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Week-End Work

Registered
    Aug 2001

Week-End Work

Because I love my job so much, I am at work this week-end! Woo-hoo! [Ugh.]

Yeah, I'm blowing off time here on Cyburbia. Looks like Cardinal and I are the only ones around. I'll get back to real work real soon, I just know it!

Anyway, I am here because I spent all last week writing. I finished a draft of a 60-page plan that I got off to the client via e-mail before 5:00 pm on Friday! Whew! All charts, maps, images, and text were done by me! And yes, I had the support of my co-workers, they helped me through it all. One co-worker was especially helpful as she read the trickle of sections I gave her as they were completed. She rocks! [If you are reading this, you know I luvs ya, baby!] What a tough week! Now I have to catch up on all kinds of small matters that I let go while I was glued to my keyboard and going crazy!

And no, I don't do this all the time, but in the past two months, I've had to come in just about every week-end.

Who else goes in to work on the week-ends just to keep things on schedule?

[And as freaky as this sounds, I am actually enjoying being around here. I get to be at work and play my music LOUD - the way I like it! - and to a group that I love - the Chemical Brothers - music I am sure my co-workers wouldn't appreciate.]

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't regularly go into the office on the weekend, other than to just pick something up, but I often bring work home with me. The last few weekends have been especially bad that way. Last weekend I put in about six hours, and I put in about three this weekend. I suppose it helps that we have a downpour that is keeping me inside anyway.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I have put in my time on Saturdays to get the Comp Plan done.
    I had to have one day for myself.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Well, you KNOW my life doesn't remotely resemble that of the "9 to 5ers": my office is in my home and work is all around me, 24/7. Frankly, I tend to do a lot of work on weekends and often take some down time to goof off on Monday or Tuesday, before I get back to working.

On the other hand, some of my best work comes from goofing off with friends while we collaborate on something. Sample webpages will have a menu with a couple of actual pages listed and the rest of the slots will be filled with "etc", "Ad nauseum" "Yadda yadda" and "blah blah blah". But you have to know your partner in crime pretty well and respect each other to do silly stuff while still getting real work accomplished and not have them conclude you are just an immature twit. All that playing around let's you toss out more creative ideas -- some of which are completely Stoopid but some of which have a kernel of something really good that can be tweaked into an awesome new approach that you would have never tripped across while being Oh So Serious.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I only have to work on weekends if we have a trail event or have to set up a trails booth at the zoo or some such place for a "nature"-type event.

I put in my time for 15 years in zoning/land use so it's nice to have a break. My last job was in an old hospital turned county admin. building, it was a little spooky having to go in there on weekends (not to mention worrying about encountering the rats that ran around off-hours).

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I haven't been to the office on a weekend in a long time, but I have brought work home with me, especially when there's a looming deadline. My laptop is set up to log onto the office network so there's no real need for me to go into the office unless I need to use the printer, plotter or copier.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I have 24-hour access to the office, but I've never been in on a weekend. I usually always take something home to read/take notes/work on, but 90% of the time never get around to looking at it. Too much real work to get done at home!

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Wanigas?
    Because I love my job so much, I am at work this week-end!

Anyway, I am here because I spent all last week writing. I finished a draft of a 60-page plan that I got off to the client via e-mail before 5:00 pm on Friday!

Who else goes in to work on the week-ends just to keep things on schedule?
    Been there, done that, went back to the public sector.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Extremely rare for me to be in the office on a weekend.....the only work related things I can remember doing on a weekned were Town Meeting and a design charrette.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I rarely works weekends. Even his last weekend, when I probably should have, I couldn't bring myself to do it. I brought work home and blew it off. If caught in a deadline crunch I usually opt to stay late in the evenings. My weekends are sacrosanct! Though I will admit when our little Berserker is on one of his tears, it is tempting to say "Sorry, hun, gotta go to the office and get some work done."

I have a policy of not coming in on weekends or bringing anything home. Actually I could probably stand some more work to do during the week. When I was a consultant, we had some Saturday morning meetings with a rural town and they weren't bad.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I haven't been in the office on a weekend (yet), unless 6 pm Friday counts, but I have brought work home with me, did this weekend, in fact. And it was one of the nicest weekends of the year, too....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I never go into the office during the weekend. When I was first in the planning field, I used to do it all the time. I've learned not to in recent years, although I have taken a few things home from time to time.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man

I have a policy of not coming in on weekends or bringing anything home. Actually I could probably stand some more work to do during the week.

Wow! Mugbub was right about all you public sector folks!

Registered
    May 2002
    I used to go in a lot on weekends to get "caught up". Eventually I realized that you are never truly caught up. I work hard during the week and get done what I can get done then. If you are working on something that requires a lot of time and routine things have to take a backseat I just inform my supervisor that I need help to do those things otherwise it will take longer than normal. I think my reputation of being a productive worker lets me get away with that because they know if I say it I mean it. My simple philosphy of life is work hard and play hard. Work when it's time to work and play when it's time to play.

A quote I saw one time has always stuck with me. "No one on their deathbed ever said, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I never work on the weekends and like Repo Man, I could use more work during the week.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    I have 24-hour access to the office, but I've never been in on a weekend.
    Same here. The one time I've ever been in this building after office hours was one night after getting home from an after work happy hour and realizing that I'd left my house keys in my desk. I keep all kinds of crazy hours when working as a consultant and was in and out of the office all hours of the night and on weekends. Since leaving that job (it was my first after college) I've swore to myself that I would never work like that again.... unless of course the money was very, very good.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    When I had an office ( I was boss) so I could go anytime tomy office. But I made a rule that even in tough deadlines no work on sundays.
    We dont have a two day weekend out here.Sunday is the only weekend.
    But generally I allowed the second half of every saturday to be relaxed.
    But it happened at times that nobody else but me had to work full sundays too.
    I had to lead by example.

Now
    I work from home and saturdays and sundays are more or less off. I clear up all the mess, clean my tables, sort out the maps, sheets, post heavily on cyburbia( sometimes six or seven messages a day), relax, go out with family, do nothing, sleep, read watch movies,think, develop GIS methodologies( for some forsaken project which nobody wants in another five years-exciting stuff) etc etc.
    Weekends are for rejuvenation generally adn I like to avoid the serious work.

But sometimes my schedule is like michele's

Well, you KNOW my life doesn't remotely resemble that of the "9 to 5ers": my office is in my home and work is all around me, 24/7. Frankly, I tend to do a lot of work on weekends and often take some down time to goof off on Monday or Tuesday, before I get back to working.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    I actually get more work done on weekdays after 5 and on weekends when everybody is gone. This practice stems from college when I would wait until the wee hours of the AM to get stuff done while everyone else is asleep.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I haven't worked in the office on the weekend yet and I hope that I won't have to do so, although I probably will at some point. I've certainly worked at home in the evenings and on weekends though.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    we have high security... don't ask why... and I can't get in on the weekends...unless there was some specific event. I do access my work email though on my days off and weekends if need be.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How many hours per week do you work?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 17
    Last post: 05 Jun 2007, 11:24 AM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last post: 29 Dec 2006, 12:41 PM
  3. how many hours do you work per week?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 52
    Last post: 13 Mar 2006, 6:46 PM