Urban planning community

Poll results: What natural disaster have you experienced?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hurricane

6 12.77%
  • Tornado

15 31.91%
  • Earthquake

6 12.77%
  • Volcano

0 0%
  • Flood

4 8.51%
  • Other

4 8.51%
  • Multiple Disasters

12 25.53%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Natural Disasters and YOU!

Registered
    Sep 1999

Natural Disasters and YOU!

AIB my son, who this week had to pick a natural disaster for a school report. I am so proud, he picked Pompeii/Vesuvius (I am a closet archaeologist). In the meantime, I am reading a book about Florida hurricanes and wondering how Cyburbians have fared in natural disasters in their areas. I have been thru umpteen hurricanes, was a couple miles from a string of tornadoes that killed dozens just 6 years ago around here. My dad worked the Keys after a tornado in the '30's and reported picking up bodies from the sea with pitchforks. Hey, it's a Florida thing.

Which natural disasters have you/family experienced and how have you fared?

Mod Edit (nerudite): Added 'other' option.
    Last edited by nerudite; 29 Mar 2004 at 10:23 PM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I wanted to pick more than one, because I've been through a few things (couldn't figure out how to do that when editing a poll though). I have been around for tropical storms (not quite hurricanes), have been through tornado warnings (as of last year), lived through tons of earthquakes (San Fernando 1971, the Northridge quake, Loma Prieta from several miles away, and the list goes on), been evacuated for wildfires, had troubles with mudslides and have seen a waterspout in Hawaii. Oh yeah, and I got snowed in once during a blizzard in Tahoe.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Well, in the past year living here in this great Commonwealth called Virginia, both PG and I have experienced a blizzard, hurricane, and an earthquake. Although, the earthquake was very slight.

For me, snow is a natural disaster that I would prefer to avoid. Been through a number of tropical storms and hurricanes. I love them. Had the wildfire thing too. Don't really burrning things.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would also like to pick more than one option. I was around for hurricane Hugo in '89. I have been through seven tornados. I was called to duty for the floods of '92. I have been in Montana and Colorado when forest fires have raged these past few years. I have been in a couple minor earthquakes. There was the great Chicago blizzard of '67, and then again in about 1980. Add in sandstorms in the Saudi desert. I have survived them all. If there is a god, he has very poor aim.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I've been blessed with going through all of the listed disasters except for a volcano. Our family was the host house for many a huricane party when I was younger and lived near the coast. I've been through a couple of tornadoes when we lived up in North Texas (but not hit). We were hit pretty hard with the flooding in the Texas Hill Country back in 1998 and ended up with 5 feet of water in the house (we are NOT in the floodplain, our french drain failed). I went with my Dad on a business trip to San Francisco once and got to experience like a 4.9 earthquake, which has played a major role in me never wanting to live in Cali. I can handle anything else, but that whole ground-moving thing really bothers me !

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Growing up and family is still on a sand bar barrier island in NJ it was hurricanes.
    When at Snowbird, UT spent time in the basement because of avalanches.

When in Breckenridge, Co I was on stand-by for body recovery after an avalanche.
    tested for and qualified to be hired as professional ski patrol - went to grad school instead.
    very knowledgeable about urban/wildland interface fire.

Now in IN I have experienced
    earthquake - 5.0 M June 18, 2002;
    flooding on the Ohio River 1997;
    tornado - many watches and warnings - some sleepless nights - trained as a weather spotter.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I rode out the Loma Prieta 'quake when I was in California. Fortunately, not too much damage to our house (the after shocks, which we could actually hear before we felt, were the most disturbing). I also worked in the EOC for the nearly annual county flooding.

OT: ZG, did you receive my response?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Being that I grew up in central Alabama, I've been through more tornado warnings than I can count. There were a couple of close calls but luckily nothing worse than fallen trees.

Most of the hurricanes I've been through were somewhat weakened by the time they made it up to Montgomery, though I was in Mobile for a pretty big one.

The only earthquake I've been through was the Northridge quake (6.8). That was pretty crazy. It damaged Cal State Northridge quite a bit but the students had a good sense of humor about... when the school reopened they handed out bumper stickers that said "CSUN: Not just back, better" but it didn't take long for some smart student to discover you could fold it to read "CSUN: just beer"

I've never had a house I lived in flood but I've seen the water get high enough on the Alabama River that some of the interstate exists were being used as boat launches.

Volcanos? Well, I haven't had the pleasure of that experience yet but who knows... they don't call this place Hotlanta for nothing.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Man I wish I could pick more than one
    Flood
    mudslides
    ice storms
    earth quakes
    tornados (by far the thing that scares me the most)
    hurricanes
    blizzards
    wildfires
    oh yes and soon the brood X
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Nothing too exotic here, just floods (my car had water up to the tops of the wheel wells; when it got below the muffler, I got in, hoping to put it in the garage where it should have been, and it started right up, no problems ), ice storms that knock power out for days, and countless tornado watches and warnings, including one that went a few miles southeast of my house and did millions of dollars of damage a few years ago.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Mostly just massive hailstorms and extremely large snowstorms.

I'm glad I don't haven't had to deal with earthquakes, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.
    Last edited by mendelman; 30 Mar 2004 at 9:03 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Nothing much really other than snow storms. Saw a small tornado once.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Blizzards
    Icestorms
    Floods
    Tornadoes

One close call with a tornado, the weather was pretty bad, but no warning was issued. I was looking out of this huge window when an office chair dropped from the sky and smashed on the sidewalk outside. It did not take long to figure out that the chair was once inside a building and that I should move. The building I was in was not hit but one was destroyed 1/2 block away.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I was at football camp my senior year of highschool when Hurricane Bob hit NH....not a fun day (though we didn't have to practice that day. )
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    -a couple of 20" blizzards (i know, In Buffalo, 20" causes only minor problems )

-a couple tornados, as I am currently certified storm spotter and in college a frequent storm chaser.

-In '95, I experienced the three day stint of 125-135 degree heat indicies that killed 600 in Chicago.

-tiny 3.0 - 4.0 earthquake in Northern Illinois
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I've been lucky - just a few minor hurricanes here (Bob, Gloria). We do have the potential to get whacked though, the last really bad one was in the 50's, when a neighborhood in the city I work in was very seriously flooded leading to the great urban renewal of the 70's.

Maybe our New Orleans members know the details, but isn't the city expected to be in serious trouble if they get a bad hurricane?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Probably the scariest natural disaster for me was the Plainfield (southwest 'burbs of Chicago) tornado in 1990. That tornado blew up a high school, destroyed many homes, killed about 20 people and had me shaking in my basement.

Also, the Chicago heat wave of 1995. A lot of Southerners dismiss this event, but I've been in Alabama and Georgia in July and August many times, and I've been to Phoenix and Vegas in the summer, too, but the heat and humidity in Chicago for that week in July was much worse. I remember it topping out at 106 degrees, with 80%-plus humidity. And this in a city where AC is not standard.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I grew up in south Louisiana, so I am well acquainted with hurricanes. I've also sat out a few tornado warnings when I lived in Mississippi. Few years ago I was in Helena when we had a minor earthquake. Man, I must be bad luck!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Off-topic:
    Meteorologically speaking, the midwest can have some of the highest air moisture contents in the country. The reason is agricultural aspiration. Corn releases more moisture into the air daily than an open pool of water. Frequently, during the summer, the corn will aspire so much that the dewpoints (measure of moisture in the air) in the midwest will be 5-15 degrees higher than the gulf coast or southeast communities. In 1995, the dewpoint was between 82-85 degrees. A normal summertime gulf area dewpoint is in the 70-80 degree range, which is still exceptionally sticky and uncomfortable.

Like pete said, in Chicago it was 106... I was in the middle of a cornfield (LaSalle County) when that happened the air temp was 108, the dewpoint was 83 and the heat index was reportedly 130'ish during the afternoon hours.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Although there's been a couple of close calls, the last hurricane to hit N.O. was around 1965 (before my time). I've been through tropical storms and severe floods.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    Man I wish I could pick more than one
    Flood
    mudslides
    ice storms
    earth quakes
    tornados (by far the thing that scares me the most)
    hurricanes
    blizzards
    wildfires
    oh yes and soon the brood X
    What she said, except the mudslides and wildfires. The earthquake was quite mild, although our city is in the "widespread damage" zone for the New Madrid fault line.

I hate cicadas, so the brood X arrival in 7 weeks is going to freak me out
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Mod Edit - added multiple disasters. I hope that was Ok.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    ...you forgot Blizzard!!

Blizzards, floods, hurricanes... and oh yes... a nasty heat wave when I was in Greece in 1988 (killed 500 people) and we ran out of water.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop

Maybe our New Orleans members know the details, but isn't the city expected to be in serious trouble if they get a bad hurricane?
    Yep....if anything above a Category 3 directly hits the city, it will be under water for weeks. There are only 2 ways out of the city and one route is prone to severe flooding - 12 foot dip under a railroad bridge. The best way to evacuate is to leave 2-3 days before the hurricane is predicted to hit, but in reality, not too many people can afford to do that. The last time we were threatened with a direct hit was back in '98 with Hurricane Georges. A lot of people tried to leave town that morning and were stuck in gridlock. My family decided to stay and ride out the storm. Fortunately, it turned at the spur of the moment and hit Mobile instead.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Where is NONE? I was in a blizzard but I wouldn't consider it a natural disaster.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Jun 2013, 3:11 AM
  2. Nitwits and natural disasters
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 May 2012, 10:27 PM
  3. Recollections of Disasters
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17