Urban planning community

Poll results: What natural disaster have you experienced?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hurricane

6 12.77%
  • Tornado

15 31.91%
  • Earthquake

6 12.77%
  • Volcano

0 0%
  • Flood

4 8.51%
  • Other

4 8.51%
  • Multiple Disasters

12 25.53%
+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Natural Disasters and YOU!

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    the blizzard of 93 was pretty bad. I agree though...snow just piles up and northerners are really used to it. 93 was pretty wild though...since we got close to 30 inches all at once.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the Blizzard of 1993. My boss at the time freaked out because people were actually LATE to work!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    the blizzard of 93 was pretty bad. I agree though...snow just piles up and northerners are really used to it. 93 was pretty wild though...since we got close to 30 inches all at once.
    Well I was in a blizzard in 1982 in Colorado. I guess they can be natural disasters due to property damage and snow can cause carbon monoxide build up and death. Found this website with a summary of bad blizzards in Colorado. The Coloradoan. Most expensive storm in Colorado according to insurance claims: HAIL in Denver 1990.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    2 tornados
    1 hurricane
    1 minor earthquake
    too many blizzards to remember the #

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    Several Hurricanes
    More Tropical Storms
    A few tornados, and many warnings
    And a few floods.

The weather hasn't run me off yet. I dread the heat/humidity combo in the summer more then a Hurricane any day.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    Where is NONE? I was in a blizzard but I wouldn't consider it a natural disaster.

Then it wasn't much of a blizzard now was it.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

We are coming up on the 20th anniversary of the Super Outbreak of 1974

April 3-4, 1974: Super Outbreak
    There were an amazing 148 tornadoes over 13 states in the South and Midwest! This is the largest known outbreak for the United States. The deadliest tornado hit Xenia, Ohio, killing over 34 people and doing $100 million in damage. The total number of deaths was 350, and there was $600 million in damage.
    Mrs. G was nine yrs old, playing at a neighbors when her mom hurriedly brought her home. She remembers the sky being deep green and the proverbial "freight train". The tornado passed about 1.5km south of her.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Yep....if anything above a Category 3 directly hits the city, it will be under water for weeks. There are only 2 ways out of the city and one route is prone to severe flooding - 12 foot dip under a railroad bridge. The best way to evacuate is to leave 2-3 days before the hurricane is predicted to hit, but in reality, not too many people can afford to do that. The last time we were threatened with a direct hit was back in '98 with Hurricane Georges. A lot of people tried to leave town that morning and were stuck in gridlock. My family decided to stay and ride out the storm. Fortunately, it turned at the spur of the moment and hit Mobile instead.
    I wonder if they'll ever get the giant pumps working to drain that dip. Amazingly enough, since betsy, New orleans has escaped huricanes by near misses several times. Andrew, Georges, and several others have turned at the last minute and avoided the city. I do remember several floods, though--the worst was on may 8, 1995 (is the year right?). We had two feet of rain overnight, and that resulted in two feet of water in the house. Places that had never flooded before flooded in that storm. It was bizarre.
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by ilikefish0
    I do remember several floods, though--the worst was on may 8, 1995 (is the year right?). We had two feet of rain overnight, and that resulted in two feet of water in the house. Places that had never flooded before flooded in that storm. It was bizarre.
    Yep! I remember that flood vividly. What saved me from getting caught in it and losing my car was that I stayed home from work that night so that I could study for my final exam the next morning. The city was shut down for a few days after that flood.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    Yep....if anything above a Category 3 directly hits the city, it will be under water for weeks. There are only 2 ways out of the city and one route is prone to severe flooding - 12 foot dip under a railroad bridge. The best way to evacuate is to leave 2-3 days before the hurricane is predicted to hit, but in reality, not too many people can afford to do that. The last time we were threatened with a direct hit was back in '98 with Hurricane Georges. A lot of people tried to leave town that morning and were stuck in gridlock. My family decided to stay and ride out the storm. Fortunately, it turned at the spur of the moment and hit Mobile instead.
    George did a good number to the MS Gulf Coast as well.

Part of the evacuation route for New Orleans (I-59) puts you guys up here with us. Hurricane Party?

Registered
    Jul 2003
    New Orleans is so far below sea level that it would essentially become a soup bowl if a Category 3 or above hurricane would hit. It's only a matter of time before another big one hits like Camille did back in the late 1960s.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    Most expensive storm in Colorado according to insurance claims: HAIL in Denver 1990.
    Forgot to add that to my list, I was at UCD that summer.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Ice Storms and Blizzards in Rochester, NY... Yet schools never seemed to close.

2 Tornados in Edinboro, PA - scariest of the storms I've been in. ("Hey guys, come look out the window! You can see the wind!")

Dodged a hurricane in Orlando, FL (Hey, they closed down Disney and never even got a drop of rain!)

Flooding in Des Plaines, IL More of a nuissance than anything.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    ? Anybody watch PBS NOVA "Hunting for the Supertwister" ?

Show webpage: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/tornado/
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001

Goodbye Kalifornia

http://www.ktvu.com/news/2968506/detail.html

Maybe you Golden Staters should put off buying that new china and crystal set until next year. Sucks to be you. Sorry.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Hmmm.. natural disasters? none... that I remember... Here in Chile.. I haven't had nothing but a few ground shakes, but no earthquakes (well after 1960.. nobody wants one), floods are unusual where I live and although, floods are frequent in Santiago (concrete doesn't absorb water, dummies!), but not where I study or live.

Ok, maybe I could be forgetting the winters in the US where I believe in 1991 schools where closed for a few days... but that wasn't any disaster for a kid my age at that time

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by tsc
    93 was pretty wild though...since we got close to 30 inches all at once.
    That's not a blizzard, now this is a blizzard
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by el Guapo
    Mod Edit - added multiple disasters. I hope that was Ok.
    It is okay with me if you will also change my vote form "earthquake" to "multiple disasters". Or not. Read on and judge for yourself if the earthquake is the only one that really counts:

We drove betwixt 2 blizzards crossing the country from Washington state to Georgia.

Our house was 3 blocks from the evacuated are of Manhattan, KS in the Great Flood of 93.

I was in Southern Cali for the 7.1 earthquake in, um, the fall of '99. It was surprisingly not very damaging. It happened out in the middle of nowhere (which is why I was in it ) and there were some additional mitigating factors. On striking one that I remember is that a passenger train got derailed but there were no deaths, just a few relatively minor injuries. The reason: it would normally have been going a lot faster across the flat, empty expanse of the desert but it was scheduled behind a slower-moving freight car. If it had been going as fast as it normally would have travelled through there, people would have died.

I think there was one death attributed to that quake: someone died of a heart attack.

For me, the Big Deal was that it occurred at the beginning of Midterms week and was followed by hundreds of aftershocks in the next couple of weeks, some of them up around 4.something on the Richter scale. I had enormus difficulty sleeping. Gee: you think maybe I can blame my A minus in Law that quarter on The Big Quake??? :-} (Probably not: I think I also made an A minus in the other required law class the next quarter, while taking fewer credit hours and not having any earthquakes. Law is just not my strong suite. )

Zoning Goddess -- I also have such an interest in hurricanes and tornadoes. I study them a lot. I cannot believe your dad was in the 30's Keys storm! That was a rare Category 5! I'm sure you've seen the book "Storm of the Century" which was written on that hurricane.

With all my interest in natural disasters, I have only really been in multiple tornado warnings back where I grew up in Omaha, NE. In 1989, there actually was a small tornado that hit miles away (that I never saw). Being down in Florida, I am excited about hurricane season coming up.

I did feel a small quake when I was out in LA. And, I've been in some blizzards (including the 2nd worst blizzard to ever hit Denver, CO). In the early 90's, I experienced the great floods of the Midwest. That is about all.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Quote Originally posted by GRID
    Zoning Goddess -- I also have such an interest in hurricanes and tornadoes. I study them a lot. I cannot believe your dad was in the 30's Keys storm! That was a rare Category 5! I'm sure you've seen the book "Storm of the Century" which was written on that hurricane.
    I just finished reading Neil Franks "Florida's Hurricane History" which details every hurricane known to have struck FL up thru Andrew. He's the director of the Nat Hurricane Center who I remember best, with his weirdly Marine haircut. Lots of good photos.

My dad was in college at Univ of FL when the Keys hurricane hit, and with his older brother and some fraternity brothers, headed to the Keys to volunteer. He never told us the story until a few years before he died. He thought it was too gruesome.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

2005 Update

Re-opening an old thread in honor of soon-to-be-experienced springtime weather. In fact, some southerners have already had some severe storms. Just a matter of time before tornadoes hit and do the damage thing.

TORNADOES
    Many years ago in suburban Milwaukee, WI, my dad said, "Hey, kids, look out the front door....it's a tornado." I don't really recall seeing a funnel or anything, just a lot of dark, swirling clouds. (Oh, almost forgot....a witchy-looking old lady on a bike, with a little dog in the bike's basket, was in the clouds.)

A couple twisters roared through metro Toledo back in 1965, killing about thirteen (13) people and destroying hundreds of homes. President Johnson flew into town and toured the wreckage, which was a neighborhood just north of mine. Did not get to see either tornado, although we heard the big road as they went over us.

On July 4th, I think 1968, a tornado did some limited damage to the Toledo area. I was at a bar with a friend and saw nothing. Same thing in summer of about 1988, and again I was at a bar and when the sirens went off we all raised our glasses and toasted the "gods of the storm".

EARTHQUAKE
    In the mid-1970's I was listening to a Detroit Tiger game on the radio and my window started to shake. The announcers on the radio said, "Hey, the booth is shaking." It was a northern Ohio earthquake that rattled windows.

BLIZZARD
    I have been in blizzrd conditions in the Upper Peninsula....and still managed to join my friends at a local pub. NW Ohio had a big blizzard in 1978. A number of people died in the storm, becoming disoriented as they tried to move from one 91) form building to another. The army (national guard) was called out to help clear roads.

Not much else for this Bear, in the way of natural disasters. I am a bit nervous about my son and his family, moving to Portland, OR, this summer. Mount St. Helen's isn't the concern.....earthquakes are. Small concern, using the logical non-beer-drinking side of my brain.....but still a concern.

Totobear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I've been snowed/iced in at home for up to a week at a time - but still wouldn't call that a natural disaster on par with a hurricane or tornado or tsunami. I think for me, magnitude of property damage is a major "natural disaster" indicator. Aside from utility pole damage.

     
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Lots of tornado warnings but have never really seen one...
    Also a flash flood, rained about 14 inches over a few hours a few years back...it was crazy what the water did to foundations of homes and buildings...I lost my car to the flood..otherwise nothing too exciting...

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    2 tornadoes (one in Denver and one in Memphis) Pretty scary to a little boy ZmanPLAN to hear the sirens...

I was a number of blizzards in Denver, including the one in 1982 (I don't remember though), the one in 97, and the one in '03 with four feet.

There was a slight earthquake south of Denver on Christmas in the mid 90s, but no big deal.

Fires are numerous in the mountains including a huge one near the family cabin two summers ago and then a fire south of Denver last year near my folks' house.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Feb 1998
    When the tornado sirens go off out here, we all run outside to watch.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 03 Jun 2013, 4:11 AM
  2. Nitwits and natural disasters
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 May 2012, 11:27 PM
  3. Recollections of Disasters
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 17