Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Quick Query on Vacation Time?

Registered
    May 1997

Quick Query on Vacation Time?

How much vacation time would your employer offer a planner with 30 years of experience? I need to know. I have been offered what otherwise appears to be a sweet deal, but that includes only two weeks vacation.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I work in the private sector. Our firm officially gives no preference to years in the profession only years with the firm. However I know it's negotiable before signing on the dotted line.

If you have 30 years experience and you are not getting at least 4 weeks, you are getting screwed (in my opinion). Most people with a mere 5 years of employment have 3 weeks. Two weeks is entry level.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I agree with Repo.

I have 14 years in, and I get 4 weeks. At 30 years, you'd better be near 5 weeks even if its a negotiated item prior to hire.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    That seems a little stingy, but many public sector employers do base their vacation offerings on time with agency.

For comparison: I would get four weeks at 10 years vacation. Plus, management employees get no "comp time" for night meetings, weekends, and extra work time, so we get about 100 hours of cashable "personal leave" per year.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Government, especially in some states, is really stingy with the vacation. I would try for four, and insist on three, without a long wait for four. If they are hiring for a senior-level position, insist on senior-level benefits.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    May 1997
    I forgot to mention that this is a director's position, with supervisory responsibility, and for a jurisdiction that is doing very well financially.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    In my fair city vacation is based upon time of service.

everybody gets 4 personal days.

1-4 yrs = 2 weeks
    5-9 yrs = 3 weeks
    10-14 yrs = 4 weeks
    15-19 yrs = 5 weeks
    20 + yrs = 6 weeks
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Last position: 3; now: 2. Not every personnel policy is management friendly. My best was my first directorship: sick and vacation were combined into a single "leave time."

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If it's a director's position, you may get management leave as well (often up to two additional weeks). But two weeks for a director is mighty low. Most of the municipalities I've worked in will not budge on vacation time, and it's all based on years served. It's short-sighted in my opinion. My current employer starts everyone out at 3 weeks. Vancouver, WA started everyone out at 4 weeks, but I think they've changed their policy since then. Davis also had three weeks. I think I'd die with only two weeks vacation. Blech.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Ours (a county) gives 6 weeks after 15 years (that's paid time off, sick leave and vacation combined, use as you please), plus one week of "admin" leave as a carrot for going to night meetings.

Registered
    May 2003
    Management positions here will give credit for previous management experience. I have been here a bit more than a year but have credit for 20+ year's experience. You should ask for more than two weeks if the position is management.

Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    How much vacation time would your employer offer a planner with 30 years of experience? I need to know. I have been offered what otherwise appears to be a sweet deal, but that includes only two weeks vacation.
    30+ years with the corporation around here gets you five-six weeks vacation time....

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Additional info:
    everybody gets 9 sick days,
    that if unused can be banked adding up to 60 days.

Vacation can not be banked.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Our county bases the amount of vacation time not on years of experience but on how long you've been with the county.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Unless it's covered in a collective bargaining agreement, I'd be negotiating the vacation time prior to accepting the position.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Because of union and civil service rules, around here vacation time is based upon the time you've been with the city, period. Although, I believe it's negotiable with management (directorship) positions. In my just two steps above entry-level position I can accrue up to two weeks of vacation every year, but can carry unused days over to the next calander year, nine personal days that are bought back if not used, and comp time for those fun evening meetings.

It's not a bad deal but I could always use more vacation time.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I agree that two weeks is awfully skimpy for a management-type position, or for someone with that much experience. You should negotiate for what you want. I know several planners have been successful in negotiating prior to accepting a position. If they really want you, they will make it work.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You're within your rights to negotiate for more time off. Two weeks is not enough for this type of position.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    I work in the private sector. Our firm officially gives no preference to years in the profession only years with the firm. However I know it's negotiable before signing on the dotted line.
    ME to. Where I work you get

0-1 year of employment = 1 week
    2-5 years of employment = 2 weeks
    6-10 year of employment = 3 weeks
    after you have suffered at this place for 10+ years you get a whole 4 weeks vacation and that is it. No more vacation increases.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    I've been here for two years
    in the profession for three years

My first year I got 10 days.
    Now I get 15 days - everyone gets 4 personal days.
    When you've been here for 5 years you get 20 days.
    20+ years it goes up to 25.

We also get 15 sick days a year but they're pretty stingy about how you use them.

Our pay is to tied into the state pension system so you just keep accumulating vacation. There's one guy here who will be retiring a few years early b/c he hasn't taken a vacation day in 20 years.

Needless to say he's not fun to be around.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    May 1997
    Thanks for all the info. I realized that the last time I had only two weeks was more than 20 years ago. So we will see if they will negotiate.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. How much vacation time do you get?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 26 Sep 2011, 1:26 PM
  2. Christmas Vacation Time
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 19 Dec 2007, 9:58 PM
  3. Any Vacation Time left to take ?
    Friday Afternoon Club