Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Deciding on Master's Program

Registered
    May 2003

Deciding on Master's Program

I am currently a senior at Northern Michigan University and I will graduate in May with a BS in planning and a certificate in GIS. I have recently been accepted at Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison and Univ. of Illinois-Urbana for my masters degree in planning. I was wondering if anyone had any comments, concerns, opinions, information, or expressions of outrage at either of these schools. I plan to pursue my PhD after my masters if that has an affect on anyone's response. Thank you in advance for your help.

Rico

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by cmdrico7812
    I am currently a senior at Northern Michigan University and I will graduate in May with a BS in planning and a certificate in GIS. I have recently been accepted at Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison and Univ. of Illinois-Urbana for my masters degree in planning. I was wondering if anyone had any comments, concerns, opinions, information, or expressions of outrage at either of these schools. I plan to pursue my PhD after my masters if that has an affect on anyone's response. Thank you in advance for your help.

Rico
    Illinois has the larger and better recognized program. However, given that you plan on continuing for your PhD you could probably go to either school and do okay.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    If you intend to become an academic, think about a masters at one school and a PhD at another.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    If you intend to become an academic, think about a masters at one school and a PhD at another.
    I would agree with this except that most schools that offer both a masters and PhD will substantially reduce the coursework requirement for a masters graduate from their own department. Since Rico is already going to a different school for his masters from his undergrad I think it would be okay for him to do his masters and PhD at the same school.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dharmster
    Illinois has the larger and better recognized program.
    I disagree. Illinois churns out planners for the Chicago market. Madison's program may not be as big, but it sends grads everywhere, probably because there are no planning jobs in Wisconsin. I think it also depends on what areas you intend to focus on.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    I disagree. Illinois churns out planners for the Chicago market.
    Yes, but if he's going on for a PhD, he could probably save a year of coursework by doing both degrees at Illinois.

Wisconsin Madison has more of a research focus, which is perfect if you want to pursue a PhD later. While the program is fine at Illinois, I'd go Madison for research purposes.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Feb 2011, 4:39 PM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 20 May 2010, 10:51 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 10 May 2010, 1:39 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 May 2009, 1:52 PM
  5. Replies: 4
    Last post: 31 Aug 2007, 7:58 PM