Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Simpsons strike (was: Say it ain't So!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Registered
    Dec 2001

Simpsons strike (was: Say it ain't So!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Simpson's work stoppage

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- The actors who provide the voices for the cartoon characters on the long-running TV show "The Simpsons" have stopped work in a bid to force a settlement of lengthy contract renewal talks, Daily Variety reported in its Thursday edition.

The Hollywood trade paper said the six actors have not shown up for two script readings in the past few weeks, holding up production on the hit satire's upcoming 16th season.
    Last edited by Dan; 01 Apr 2004 at 5:53 PM. Reason: Vague title
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    DOOHHH

It cant be.

Rupert, just pay the bills. This happened a couple of years ago.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Actually, I can't believe that those actors don't get paid more. The entire cast of Friends was ridiculously overpaid and that show is no where as good as the Simpsons.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Actually, I can't believe that those actors don't get paid more. The entire cast of Friends was ridiculously overpaid and that show is no where as good as the Simpsons.
    Right On!!!

That's excatly the same comment that popped into my head when I heard this story this morning.

Friends = Bleeeeech.

Simpsons actors paid $105,000 per episode
    Friends actors paid approx. $1,000,000 (I think) per episode

The disparity in zeros is just wrong!
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I used to watch the show religiously but only do so sporadically now. I bet it's older than some Cyburbanites.

How long has The Simpsons been airing?
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Entertainment salaries make me sick. The "friends" didn't deserve their seven figure salaries and I don't think these voice actors do either. That said, it is still an economic equation. If the profits are up and the network/producers can live with lower profits for themselves, they can dish out the increase, or go get replacements.

16 seasons, I'm not sure when the show started 90-91??
    Entertainment salaries make me sick.
    You're by no means alone but, I buy Planderella statement, the Simpson's are underpaid in the scheme of the entertainment market. Rupert is a cheap s.o.b., this show made Fox.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    The producers of the show are just trying to save money for their legal defense fund for the next time Fox News tries to sue them.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Big Easy King
    Episode # 1 Aired December 17, 1989.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Quote Originally posted by boiker

All the best shows know when to quit when they are at their best (Cheers for one I remember). Unfortunately, in my own opinion, the Simpsons are at least three or four seasons beyond this point. The writing has gotten pretty bad, in their defense simply because of the fact that there is nothing new to write about.

I would never suggest that actors or athletes are overpaid. They are paid in relation to how much money they bring in. Why does Tom Cruise command many millions for each film? Becasue the film company knows that they will make a ton of money in return. So yeah, compared to Joe and Sally Planner, they make a lot of money, but if their talents make a company big bucks, they are entitled to these huge salaries. The Simpsons make Matt Groening and others at Fox millions and millions of dollars, so kick some back to the vocal talent!

I do agree with Plan Man...the Simpsons Jumped the Shark a long time ago.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    I would never suggest that actors or athletes are overpaid. They are paid in relation to how much money they bring in. Why does Tom Cruise command many millions for each film? Becasue the film company knows that they will make a ton of money in return. So yeah, compared to Joe and Sally Planner, they make a lot of money, but if their talents make a company big bucks, they are entitled to these huge salaries. The Simpsons make Matt Groening and others at Fox millions and millions of dollars, so kick some back to the vocal talent!
    I do agree with Plan Man...the Simpsons Jumped the Shark a long time ago

so, the whole entire entertainment industry is overvalued. i agree with that. Entertainment should be cheaper!!

To me, the simpsons of late have repeatedly jumped the shark, then reversed themselves. I'm really satisfied with this last season, although it is no comparison to Glory days of seasons 2-8.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I love the Simpsons, but I read that the voice actors only work about 8 hours a week on the average show (Source: a Yahoo news article about the strike, but I can't find it now) - two half-hour table readings, and then the actual episode takes about 7 hours to record. Seems like a lot of money for that amount of work, but IMO they do deserve it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    As yet another The Simpsons fan.. I'm impressed...
    Even though I only get to see the spanish dubbed episodes.. (not fun), but at least it's still funny... I have seen episodes in english though... you know, they're like on the internet now

oh well, the show is quite old but still good, even though it had it's ups and downs... but that's normal.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    I do agree with Plan Man...the Simpsons Jumped the Shark a long time ago.
    How dare you say that. Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that.

We're on to you....
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

We're on to you....
    I really like the whale in that X Files episode. The Simpson's have definately "jumped the shark" over and over again, still the show manages to make me laugh.
    Here they go again, "jumpin the shark"
    http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...velopment+Heck

Didn't jumping the shark, "jump the shark"?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The Irish One
    Didn't jumping the shark, "jump the shark"?
    I think the movie would definately wrap things up, although I don't know what I would do on sundays at 8pm
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 11 Mar 2007, 12:53 AM
  2. Architect on Simpsons
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 20 Jun 2005, 6:59 AM
  3. Replies: 17
    Last post: 23 Mar 2005, 10:38 AM
  4. Zoning Violations and the Simpsons