Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Minnesota's Magnificent Mushrooming "Manhattan"

Minnesota's Magnificent Mushrooming "Manhattan"

I just wanted to start a thread on Minneapolis, MN. I absolutely love that town's skyline. It is so impressive, sparkling, asthetic, and just plain BOLD-looking. Most buildings have a great shape and the skyline is adorned with icy glass-and-steel colors. I feel Minneapolis has set a gold-standard in the Midwest of what a medium-size skyline should --and can --be. And, it keeps filling out more and more by adding at least one new sharp building every couple of years or so. In my opinion, that town seems to be a "step ahead" than most major cities in the Midwest.

What do you feel about the city of Minneapolis and it's noteworthy skyline? Do you have any personal experience with the city? Do you have any additional photos to share? Here are some great pics (courtesy of some great websites):

"Hip in the Heartland" is a good way to describe the city!

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    Grid, you've assembled a nice set of photographs. I never had the chance to visit the city yet, but I've heard nothing but good things about the area.

Registered
    Mar 2004

the Minneapple!

The skyline is OK, but the Mississippi, the lakes, the countless neighborhood small-scale shopping/coffee districts, and the long-distance commuter bike trails are what make the city amazing. I've been here for 1 1/2 years, and am sad to be leaving in August!

And, the winters are not that bad. (most regional parks and golf courses groom xc skiing trails, so we've got the luxury of in-city under-the-lights after work skiing)

Lakelander -- Being an urban-enthusiast, you would love it. The city really pushes for the latest in urban design.

Annie -- I'm sure the city has a great system & collection of all those things you mentioned. The skyline just tops it all off. Sad to hear your leaving. May I ask where you are moving off to?

Thanks, guys...

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Like annie said, Mpls is MUCH more than just the pretty skyline. The neighborhoods are all great, each having a distinct personality. Cycling through out the whole community is easy, even off the paths. Theres lots of pedestrian action, Public transportation sucks, but thats a small issue right now. There a 100's of choices for nightlife, amazing pizza joints, good brewpubs, and a live music scene that is hard to beat.
    You're more boring than you know.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by GRID
    Lakelander -- Being an urban-enthusiast, you would love it. The city really pushes for the latest in urban design.

Annie -- I'm sure the city has a great system & collection of all those things you mentioned. The skyline just tops it all off. Sad to hear your leaving. May I ask where you are moving off to?

Thanks, guys...
    I'm off to Chapel Hill for grad school.

Right now I'm off to ride down Nicollet Mall (pedestrian mall) on my bike! Biking is a lot nicer while the bus drivers are on strike!

Martini -- I had a feeling Minneapolis would be that way. It sounds like such a cozy, fun, friendly city. The vibrant skyline shows the vibrant nature of the people in the city.

Annie -- Good luck in Chapel Hill. Best wishes!

Registered
    May 2003
    Woah. I thought I was reading cyburbia, but this thread looks straight off of skyscrapercity.

I think my browser is buggy or something.

^ Oh, I started this thread over in Skyscrapercity, too. Tell me: Is this kind of thread OK over here? I realize Cyburbia is more about mature, urban-planning talk. But, I thought the "Cities and Places" included discussion about skylines. If I'm wrong, please let me know! I won't start another "skyline thread" again. Thanks!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Minneapolis is indeed a great town, but skylines aren't everything.

I've always been quite fond of Hartford's skyline - a nice mix of historic and modern, and relatively small and compact - but the city is absolutely a bore.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    ^ Oh, I started this thread over in Skyscrapercity, too. Tell me: Is this kind of thread OK over here? I realize Cyburbia is more about mature, urban-planning talk. But, I thought the "Cities and Places" included discussion about skylines. If I'm wrong, please let me know! I won't start another "skyline thread" again. Thanks!
    I can't speak for the mods, but it is perfectly ok to be enthusiastic about your city.

As long as you don't start off by saying something like "My City has by far the bestest, most coolest greenbelt system in all of North America. No other city compares to the perfect urban ideal of my city" Then here, like cyburbia.net, you may be flamed

Registered
    Dec 1998

Mod Note

Posting pictures about your city's skyline is fine as long as there's some context to it, which you've done in this case. In this forum we tend to discuss more aspects of cities and places rather than just the buildings.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Apr 2013, 5:10 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:38 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 Jun 2007, 10:39 AM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last post: 24 Jul 2006, 10:51 AM