Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Tree Houses

Tree Houses

Hey does anyone have any regulations about tree houses? Are they regulated as accessory structures? Play structures (like a swing set)?

We have a situation where a tree house was placed in a front yard and we don't have any ordinance banning tree houses.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 1998

Re: Tree Houses

jtfortin wrote:
    Hey does anyone have any regulations about tree houses? Are they regulated as accessory structures? Play structures (like a swing set)?

We have a situation where a tree house was placed in a front yard and we don't have any ordinance banning tree houses.

If I was in that situation, I would enforce it as an accessory structure and let the court sort it out.

Registered
    Aug 2001

No one up here but us birds

I' god treehouses aren't allowed? Commie planners! what if I had no trees in the back yard? then I would be denied my right to rig a secure perch in my front yard trees for a lttle R&R?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    tree houses?????

We have similar problems here in northern minnesota. Dad (or Mom) decides, after a few beers, to spend the weekend building massive tree houses with bridges and swings from one tree to the next. Where do you draw the line??? Shouldn't they be getting a building permit??? I try not to be the commie planner.......I generally pretend I don't see it, if it is in their backyard........but what if it is in the front yard.

My answer would be, consider it an accessory structure and tell them to tear it down.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Cut down the tree

Just kidding.

We exempt play structures from zoning. That includes tree houses.

I tried to ignore it....but it is on a well-traveled street (and the one that leads to City Hall) and it is very obvious...plus the complaints are coming in.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2002
    No accessory building shall be erected or located within any required yard other than the rear yard.

Go Get um!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Does it look something like this?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    That needs to be on its own lot, with its own PID, paying taxes.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    There was a situation where I lived a few years ago where a planner who lived in (but did not work for) the city agitated to have the regs for accessory structures enforced against a teepe a boy scout father & son erected in their yard. Granted it was as tall as a garage and probably slept up to 4 kids, and they kept it up all summer -- but it was by nature a temporary structure. Negative press resulted when they were told to take it down or get permits.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    There needs to be definite regs regarding this issue......

tents for a night/weekend is OK.......TP's for a night or a weekend OK.......but when you start letting things slide.....then you will be going down a never ending road to hell.......

People will say........"well that person has a tp up for the summer, I want my camper in the backyard so my relatives can stay for the summer".........."That person has a tree house that sleeps three kids, why can't I put up another shed for my uncle Stan to sleep in"

Registered
    Mar 2002

Hell?

Road to Hell?

I thought we were already IN hell? I mean come on, we are planners, lower in the food chain than lawyers *or so they tell me*.

If its in the front yard its gotta go, if its in the back let the kid enjoy. Unless your urban tree person can find some reason to blast em.

Damn I always wanted a tree house...

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001

A practical solution

This bad boy will clean out all but the most infested trees. The key is to shoot at the tree house from at least 100' feet away otherwise the warhead will not arm. Within a 100' feet the warhead just passes through the structure and then the self destruct will detonate the war head 1.85 -2.55 seconds after firing.

They are hard to find, but the Soviets used to make a White Phosphorus warhead that had great terminal effects on small wooden play structures.

Best of luck.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    You might address it under nuisance abatement. If it's low it may cause trafic problems. If it's high and accessable it may be an attractive nuisance attracting other children to play in it who may hurt themselves.

Good luck.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Sep 2008, 9:50 AM
  2. Tree ordinance
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 08 Feb 2007, 3:19 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Mar 2005, 11:00 AM
  4. houses built around houses