Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Looking the other way

Registered
    Dec 2001

Looking the other way

Why is it that some assume that because they are a larger business I should be slightly compelled to look the other way when they are making changes? Why is it that my integrity and moral stance in playing it by the book (to further protect my backside) and to oppose playing favorites should falter so that we look like the good guys? If everyone pays for substaintially comforming, that means everyone. If our requirements make it so that any expanison or decrease in building size over 1,000 sf needs a revised site plan, then why should I not be asking for a revised site plan? How is it that some can claim ignorance for never recieving an approval letter, be able to pull a building permit, and build the damn thing when I still have the mark ups on my desk from 4 months ago? So now we're just going to be chummy? I'm not in planning to compromise myself and why I became a planner, nor do I find it acceptable that I am expected to look the other way. I have a commitment to the citizens of my community and I don't feel that I should be looking the other way while the larger land owners and developers are given special privledges. This isn't a popularity contest!!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Amen Sister!

I agree wholeheartedly. In my experience these types of people have been "getting over" their entire lives on personality, not substance. I love the look on their face when they realize you can't be bought. That pays for the aggravation.

Keep the Faith!

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Tex, we're soul sisters this week. I just got off the phone with an oogy developer. He knows he's in deep shit because he sent out a notice for their public meeting with the wrong date on it and thinks he can get away with re-noticing THE DAY BEFORE the real meeting date. Here's our conversation:

Me: Hi, is Mr. Sleazy Developer there? This is Kelly with the Town returning his call.

S.D.: Oh! Kelly! My second favorite person at the Town, after your Director, of course. (in best ass kissing voice) About that public meeting notice. Yeah, our department messed up. I almost fired our graphics person. But we're still on for tonight right?

Me: Yes, we are. But I'm afraid you're also going to have to do the presentation on the night you originially advertised for the residents who don't receive the notice revising the date?

S.D. What? But I hand delivered all the notices - I don't think anyone is going to show up tomorrow night (note: Friday night before holiday weekend)

Me: Well that's unfortunate, But people might be giving up plans to come to this informational presentation you agreed to do. So we'll see you tonight. Jackass. (that last one was under my breath)

blargh! AND this is the SECOND time we're having this presentation since they "forgot" to send the notices to the neighbors the first time. Whatever.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    KMateja wrote:
    blargh! AND this is the SECOND time we're having this presentation since they "forgot" to send the notices to the neighbors the first time. Whatever.
    Maybe a nice crisp George Washington will change your opinion?

<wink wink>

Registered
    Dec 2001

George Washingtons

If I was independantly wealthy I would've risked my job telling this person how I felt about him. I mean really, do you think making some comment about the ring on my finger being "aw, too bad" is going to make me smile. You're an ICKY GREASY DEVELOPER!!

is that redundant?
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Its all in your attitude

Let a smile be your umbrella? Hell no. Get one of these neck ties:

Registered
    Oct 2001

I love that cartoon

Where is it from?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Texas Planner wrote: "I mean really, do you think making some comment about the ring on my finger being "aw, too bad" is going to make me smile. You're an ICKY GREASY DEVELOPER!! "

Or what about the smarmy lawyer who on his first visit to planning board since you've replaced the grizzled old planner snarks: "Well,
    Mr. Old Planner has sure gotten a lot prettier since I last came to planning board. Nice to have you here, little lady"

I wish I knew Kung Fu so I could karate chop his ass, condescending butthole. grrrrr.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Yes guys keep the faith, my last job the Dept director told me to look theother way or grease things to let a project go ahead.

This bothered me to no end but it got worse...

Then said man would promise to wave various things like req curb and gutter for his buddies or not make them connect a street. They would come meet with me before plan submission and boy were they pissed with I did not support my own directors thoughts on things. The man had no ability what so ever to wave things, the requirements were not even out of our dept, but he did it anyway.

What living hell that was

Danielle
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

+ Reply to thread