Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Programs in Canada?

Registered
    Jan 2004

Programs in Canada?

what are some good urban planning or transportation planning programs in Canada at the Masters level?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I'm only familiar with Ontario programs, and even then I'm a bit iffy. The University of Toronto has a good Masters program in Transportation Planning - however, it (and most if not all Master's level Transportation Planning programs) is run through the Engineering school and is heavily biased towards candidates from that discipline. They've rejected me twice already, though by now I probably have enough "real world" experience to be considered. The University of Waterloo also has decent Planning and Transportation Planning Masters (again, the TP program is engineering based). York University has a good Master of Environmental Studies (Planning program). Not sure if Queens does a Masters, but if they do it's probably half-decent.

This link may help you.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    A full list of accredited programs can be found on the CIP Website. How 'good' the program is for you, depends upon your interests and the type of instruction you prefer. Do you want to do a thesis or a practical project? Do you want to learn more environmental planning or regional planning or urban design? There are a lot of good programs up here, but it's hard to recommend something without knowing a little more about what interests you.

Registered
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    Do you want to do a thesis or a practical project? Do you want to learn more environmental planning or regional planning or urban design? .
    I'm leaning more towrad regional planning and/or transportation-related issues.
    I'm not sure about the thesis or practical project question, whats the difference?

Thanks for the info guys!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Specialization GIS Programs Canada
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 14 Jul 2013, 10:28 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Jul 2013, 12:06 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 24 Mar 2011, 4:38 PM
  4. Replies: 2