Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Municipal Car Sharing (WAS. . . you heard it here first!)

Registered
    Apr 2003

Municipal Car Sharing (WAS. . . you heard it here first!)

City to Join PhillyCarShare, Cut 400 Vehicles
    Innovative Program First in North America

PHILADELPHIA, April 5, 2004 – The city that invented American government, cheese steaks, municipal sewers, and universities, today becomes the first major city in North America to start municipal car sharing. The City of Philadelphia announces today a pioneering partnership with PhillyCarShare to reduce the City’s fleet, improve air quality, and over time save millions of taxpayer dollars.

The innovative project, part of Mayor Street’s effort to trim $227 million from the City’s annual budget, targets the removal of roughly 400 municipal vehicles through 2005. Thirteen City departments are participating in the initial pilot, which kicks off today at the City’s Richmond fleet garage with inventory of the first 50+ sedans to be auctioned.

All I can say is, "wow!" I heard they were working on this but i didn't know the deal was that close.
    Last edited by Planderella; 05 Apr 2004 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Descriptive title added.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Do you have a link at all? I'd love to hear more about how it's being set-up, etc. I'm doing a fair bit of work on car-sharing at the moment.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    Do you have a link at all? I'd love to hear more about how it's being set-up, etc. I'm doing a fair bit of work on car-sharing at the moment.
    http://www.phillycarshare.com

I don't have any info on how the deal with the city is working but I'm managing the TE grant they got last year. They're a non-profit and in order to pay for rolling out new cars they charge their members a $300 refundable deposit. This is obviously a barrier to low-income households so we're using the TE money to waive the cost of the deposit and they're tripling the size of their fleet in the process.

They already have a lot of cars around City Hall but i'd imagine they're going to need quite a few more. They prob. have an arrangement with the City where the city is using some of the money from the auctions as a deposit on the new cars.

If you check out the website they have all the info on how the technology works and all of the tech. aspects.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    In our dept., we already have car sharing -
    3 code enforcement people
    and the rest of the dept also have to share the same car.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Apr 2003
    yeah, except, "gasp!" city employees will actually have to share a car with other city residents.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. I've heard enough
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 05 Jan 2012, 7:40 AM
  2. Still haven't heard from them
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 01 Jul 2011, 12:49 PM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last post: 07 Aug 2008, 6:24 AM