Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Quick Reactions

Registered
    Dec 2003

Quick Reactions

I am planning/designing the circulation plan for an exclusive private sector predominantly residential neighborhood( proposed population > 4000).
    I would like to know from experienced planners and as everyday users how much would be a minimum comfortable width for a:
    1.Jogging Track
    2.Cycling Track
    3.Both combined( as in together next to each other)
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

For a combined 2-way path a minimum of 10 feet is recommended. 12-14 would be ideal. Not sure about bike-only or pedestrian-only paths.

Wisconsin publishes and excellent bike facility planning guide which is available here for free.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Doitnow!!
    I am planning/designing the circulation plan for an exclusive private sector predominantly residential neighborhood( proposed population > 4000).
    I would like to know from experienced planners and as everyday users how much would be a minimum comfortable width for a:
    1.Jogging Track
    2.Cycling Track
    3.Both combined( as in together next to each other)
    1. I'd go with 6 feet for jogging (preferably asphalt as it's better for runner's knees)

2. Please, whatever you do, do not build "bike trails" immediately adjacent to the roadway. These trails are rarely used because novice bicyclists will not bike that close to the road, and experienced cyclists will bike ON the road because riding on the path is uncomfortably jarring because of numerous driveway crossings,

Bike trails OUT of the right-of-way (in an utility, rail, or natural resource corridor) are fantastic because they provide a scenic route that is often faster than the roadway system. Trails in independent corridors, which connect schools, residential areas, and neighborhood commercial areas will be well used.

But, to actually answer your question, 10 feet is a good width, and pavement upkeep is crucial.

3. 12 feet is the minimum width for combined trails. The trail should be striped to separate joggers/walkers and cyclists/rollerbladers. However, it is always preferable to separate uses on separate trails.

As my interest lies in bike planning, I could go on for days!

Registered
    May 2003
    Above widths are good.

Always try to get a bike/jogging path if you have the chance. You will regret having a public path that is not bike friendly.

For very high traffic and bike volumes (more than a million trips a year) contact the City of Monterey CA. They have a lot of experience.

Registered
    Dec 2003

Thanks

Thanks Guys!

Thats what I needed.

Actually I'm in the process of freezing the Right of Way.As per our guidelines( the Indian Road Congress 6.2.6) the Cycle Track needs to be 2 m wide for a specified flow.
    I'm proposing a 20 m main access road with a separated jogging and pedestrian footpath all within 12m.and yes I am segregating the path with some strips of green buffer and specifying the surface material too.

Unfortunately cycling is not a very popular mode in Urban India. cycle and pedestrian flows never reach the designed capacity. Its mostly the senior citizens and the houswives with young children who use the path.

But since I am doing this proposal and project brief for a neighbourhood of about 4500 people within around 70 acres, I thought of providing the facility and encouraging the use.
    I have already designed the cross section but wanted to get some quick reactions from you guys so that I have the advantage of international criticism. ( one of the Huge advantages of Cyburbia)

Anymore inputs will be welcome.

I'll post again if necessary.

Thanks again.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Stress Reactions
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 18 Jan 2010, 12:22 PM
  2. First Goatse reactions
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 13 Jan 2006, 7:27 PM
  3. Allergic Reactions