Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Who is celebrating tonight? (AKA: The 2004 NHL Playoffs Thread)

Registered
    Dec 2001

Who is celebrating tonight? (AKA: The 2004 NHL Playoffs Thread)

NHL PLAYOFFS!!

GO STARS

When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    The Tranplanner household is on full alert - Leafs Jersey has been laundered, snacks have been stockpiled. Just need to get some beer and I'm all set.

This will be my first playoffs without cable (I'll get Leafs/Sens, Habs/Bruins, and Flames/Canucks on CBC in the first round). Wish me luck!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Tranplanner
    The Tranplanner household is on full alert - Leafs Jersey has been laundered, snacks have been stockpiled. Just need to get some beer and I'm all set.

This will be my first playoffs without cable (I'll get Leafs/Sens, Habs/Bruins, and Flames/Canucks on CBC in the first round). Wish me luck!
    Oooo, we're worried because we're not sure if the cable company we have to switch to offers the hockey package. I think I'll cry if I can't see Stars games. Oh, and NHL Tonight on ESPN is also rumored to be done, so I can't watch that or Hockey Night.

We've got beer, snacks, and jerseys waiting.. I've just got to go home and hang the Stars Flag!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm totally psyched this year... I have a feeling the Leafs will be doing well. The last two shutout games gives me greater confidence in Belfour. Toronto has put Ottawa away in previous years, so I think it will be a good round to watch on t.v.

I'll be rooting for the Leafs first, then all the other Canadian teams second (except Vancouver). I'll also root for anyone that plays against the Red Wings or Philly.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    BOOOOOOOOO!

NO GOAL! NO GOAL!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

<<<<<<<<< :d:

'nuff said?

Oh, by the way all you canuckistanians: I thought it was a sweater not a jersey. Or are you guys secretly with me
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Any Senators fans out there? Ottawasong

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    If I wasn't at a Planning Board meeting tonight, I'd be glued to the B's - Habs game.....I love this rivalry almost as much as Sox - Yankees.

Go B's!!

Key to the series:

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001

blah.. hockey

Hockey's great and all but, 'tis baseball season.

Go White Sox!
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Hmmm who's gona win it all.

According to NHL.com, Pro Hockey was started in Michiganís Upper Peninsula!

History
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I actually celebrated last night as the Canadians won the Women's World Hockey Championship....again. No NHL for me.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jmf
    I actually celebrated last night as the Canadians won the Women's World Hockey Championship....again. No NHL for me.

Heh... don't even get me started in on this. I'm VERY peeved at the bad officiating. One of the Canadian team's goals was questionable, and one of the American team's goals was definitely in, but then determined to be a no-goal. Grrrrrr! I don't mind losing to the Canadians, but on such a key game you would think they would at least *try* to keep it fair and square!

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I only listened to the game on the radio so I didn't see the goals, or not-goals, but I definitely agree that the US goal at the end should have been counted. All three commentators on radio were sure it was a goal plus they saw the video replay - which, for whatever strange reason, the referee and goal judge did not.

It sounded like the refereeing is very subjective - depending on the quality, experience, size and fitness of the teams playing. It is very strange.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by jmf
    It sounded like the refereeing is very subjective - depending on the quality, experience, size and fitness of the teams playing. It is very strange.
    Off-topic:

Yeah, I agree. I'm not as familiar with international hockey or its officiating, so that's probably why I get extra frustrated. I'm actually glad the Canadians won... the country is so proud of their winning teams. If the US won, they'd be lucky to get a small blurb on some inside page of the sports section in the US. I wish that as much attention is paid to women's sports in the States as they are up here.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    If I wasn't at a Planning Board meeting tonight...
    I got stuck at our Planning Board meeting until 9 p.m. but it doesn't look like I missed much of a game.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero
    I got stuck at our Planning Board meeting until 9 p.m. but it doesn't look like I missed much of a game.
    No, you didn't. Watched the first 2 periods of the Avs - Stars game before I went to bed (mostly to catch any B's - Habs highlights). So far soo good for Raycroft! Wish I could have watched the game.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I've been celebrating the beginning of baseball season all week. I just hope my Royals can win the AL Central this year. And the Tigers are 3-0. Ah, hope springs eternal.
    Last edited by Budgie; 08 Apr 2004 at 9:49 AM.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by NHPlanner
    No, you didn't. Watched the first 2 periods of the Avs - Stars game before I went to bed (mostly to catch any B's - Habs highlights). So far soo good for Raycroft! Wish I could have watched the game.
    Raycroft was amazing! But watching the Avs game was similar... Abischer (sp?) was amazing as well. I love playoff hockey. Now if someone could just kick Detroit and Vancouver around the block, then I'll be a really happy puppy. Can't wait for the Leafs game tonight...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I only made it through the first period of the Flames-Canucks last night. Looked like a good game (except for the score), but it was 11:30p.m., and I was done in.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Had to revive this thread after watching a GREAT 2ot thriller between the B's and Habs last night....

Raycroft continues to amaze me with his poise under pressure....and the Habs got exactly what they deserved on the game winning goal after the whole fake injury by Ribiero the other night.....WTF was Kovalev thinking whining about a slash (which if you watch the replay, never connected to his hands he was so frantically waving in "pain"), running into his own teammate, and leaving the puck laying right there for Murray?

Late night, but sooooooo worth it!

Go B's!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't think Raycroft has been that amazing since the first game. He has some good ones for the highlight reel from time to time, but overall he let in some softies last night too.

I'm totally surprised by Belfour, however. I'm not his hugest fan, but he's converting me slowly... too bad I have a night meeting tonight during the game.

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I don't think Raycroft has been that amazing since the first game. He has some good ones for the highlight reel from time to time, but overall he let in some softies last night too.

I'm totally surprised by Belfour, however. I'm not his hugest fan, but he's converting me slowly... too bad I have a night meeting tonight during the game.
    Yeah...he's let in some soft goals.....but he's doing this year exactly what Theodore did to the Bruins 2 years ago in the first round....big late in games, stealing the series (in which MTL has outplayed the Bruins for the most part).

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I didn't watch much last night, but did anyone see the winning goal Young made on Monday night? It was in OT, about 3-4 minutes in. I screamed so loud, I'm sure our neighbors thought I was crazy.

If the Stars don't pick up the pace though, I don't think they'll make it much further. It's depressing, they can be such a great team and sometimes it's like the play like they don't care.

Loads of fun going down 0-2 to Philthydelphia. Have to even it up tonight. It'll be a battle for sure.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    Loads of fun going down 0-2 to Philthydelphia. Have to even it up tonight. It'll be a battle for sure.
    The refs got one back for you!

LET'S GO FLYERS!

Oh, and you have some nerve calling anything "filthy"... swamp rat.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 176
    Last post: 07 Jan 2014, 7:01 PM
  2. Playoffs!
    Friday Afternoon Club