Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Definition of housing affordability?

Definition of housing affordability?

I have a graduation project about housing ..
    I need more information about afforable housing , some case studies with plans .

Registered
    Oct 2000
    I don't know about case studies, but at a recent planning board meeting, we had a board member publicly state that he was longing for a project with affordable housing. The public went into an uproar, and the board member had to clarify that he was speaking of housing that starts for less than $200K.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Our zoning defines affordable housing to be housing accessible to those making 80% of the median income of the Town.

According to the 2000 Census results for our Town, one must make $56,000 to be considered for affordable housing .

By our definition...I must be a welfare case. No wonder I don't live where I work.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We try to stay away from the term affordable housing and rather use the term work force housing. In other words, we need to provide housing for those families who work in our factories.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    We try to stay away from the term affordable housing and rather use the term work force housing. In other words, we need to provide housing for those families who work in our factories.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Low-income housing, affordable housing, work force housing. Everyone "knows what that means." Of course, they have probably forgotten that they themselves would have likely once fallen into that category, or a parent, or someone they know. Well, and that is actually two issues. Affordable, in one sense, is less than 80% of the county median (thanks for the definition, CDBG folks). In another sense, affordable housing is generally considered as housing that will cost 30-40% of household income.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 12
    Last post: 04 Sep 2005, 2:20 PM
  2. HUD housing affordability data on the tract level?
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 23 May 2005, 5:25 PM
  3. Replies: 27
    Last post: 24 Mar 2005, 12:38 AM
  4. Replies: 29
    Last post: 13 May 2004, 8:06 AM
  5. Definition of "Affordable Housing?"
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 09 Sep 2003, 1:05 PM