Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Simple planning resources for planning board and town council?

Registered
    Nov 2014

Simple planning resources for planning board and town council?

I am looking for some sort of resource or book that explains the importance of maintaining streetscapes and landscaping requirements in the zoning ordinance (planning board keeps waiving the requirements despite continued pleading that it will degrade the community character). I am also looking for a basic explanation of why zoning in general is necessary, our town council keeps granting zone changes like mad.

I am at my wits end, the boards refuse to listen to me or my coworkers and we want something we can quote and prove that the opinion is not just ours but of all planners.

Thanks for any help!!!

Tara

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I don't think there is one good book or something to use that would convince people why zoning is important. I would get some pictures of that one town nearby that everyone places themselves above. You know, pictures of bad street scapes, buildings run down, incompatible uses, etc. Then show them the pictures and compare it to the town you want to be like with your own local twist. Kind of a, you don't want to be like Springfield, but look at some of the cool stuff Shelbyville did that we can do better. It's great unless you are Springfield, then I'm sorry.

Another tactic is to tie it into economics. Get someone like the local chamber to support the idea that businesses don't want bad looking streets.

The sad part, we're just there to give advice and if they want to waive everything, we just get to go with it and we're not expected to say I told you so when it goes to crap.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    The sad part, we're just there to give advice and if they want to waive everything, we just get to go with it and we're not expected to say I told you so when it goes to crap.
    +1 I can't help but wonder if planning programs do a disservice to their grads by not stressing this point.

Learn not to take it personal. I know a mild-mannered guy that had a punching bag in his basement, and would beat the crap out of it specifically on days the planning commission would meet because he would be so dismayed by the outcomes.
    The content contrarian

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 22 Sep 2009, 2:05 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 24 Jul 2006, 11:52 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 17 May 2006, 11:04 AM
  4. Planning Commission vs City Council
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 4