Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Building a comprehensive plan - THE CYBURBIA FAQ

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    The Safety Element of each General Plan in California includes this discussion.
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Oct 2005
    We have begun our comp plan process in the county. If you would like to follow along I will send you the website URL via PM.

We already have a survey and in 2 weeks have over 50 respondents (county population 160k+)
    We are reaching out to 10 total remote locations to get local input. 5 in the fall and 5 in the spring.
    More maps and data will be available as we have more workshops.
    @GigCityPlanner

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    My comp plan just won Plan of the Year for my state planners group!

Registered
    Oct 2005
    The work in progress is in full swing. We've had two public information gathering events and three to go. You can see our meager website www.co.berkeley.sc.us/comprehensiveplan and follow along if you like. We are up to 165 respondents to the survey and have had 53 citizens attend the first two meetings.

After the fall round of meetings we will be meeting with our COG (local MPO) to discuss our findings. After that we will be back out to the county in the spring for the more fine tuned meetings discussing where workforce housing should go, industrial sites, transportation improvements, and other policies. A draft of the plan will be up as well in 2009.

If you see anything you like or want some help or input feel free to email or PM me.
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Nov 2005
    Has anyone had and experience running any modeling with the comp plan to try and combine land use and transportation elements (i.e. run your land use model(s) with existing vs planned transportation systems to determine choke points, congestion, etc)?
    Satellite City Enabler

Searchable List of Strategic or Comprehensive Plans?

If I want to find out how other cities discussed TOD in their planning documents, where would I go? Is there a searchable list of strategic or comprehensive plans out there that I could search for the term "TOD"?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    How many Land Use catergories do you discuss and map - both current and future ?

We discuss - General, Residential, Commercial, Industrial, CBD, and Rural.

We map - Agricultural (includes scattered residences), Residential, Commercial, Industrial, Open Space, Government & Institutional, and Mixed Use.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Mar 2005

Survey Examples

Ok folks, it's been a while since I've asked for anything but I'm in need of some help. I'm looking for examples of the community survey sent out in reference to a Comprehensive Plan -- ideally for a small, rural community, but any examples will do. I thought I had a couple but can't seem to find them.

Please and thanks so much!
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    Q: How do you keep an over-zealous community from driving away businesses by inflating land prices after reading the land use section of a comprehensive plan?
    seems to me that this is more of a land-use regulatory process question and what is possible depends on your state law. In theory, speculative bidding-up of land-values along a main street or downtown commercial strip can perhaps be discouraged by introducing the new upzoned entitlements as an overlay with a time-limit or sunset date on any additional and incremental (AoR) entitled capacity - to enjoy the incremental benefits of your proposed upzoning, landowners can be required to develop within a certain time window or before a certain sunset date. Failure to do and build to take advantage of that increment (in which case they hoard the land and leave it vacant or drastically under-developed beyond their entitled window) would cause AoR to revert to the previous entitlement or, alternatively, to trigger automatic CPC review on whether or not the upzoned increment still stands. This should serve to discourage at least some speculative behavior.

Registered
    Jul 2010
    Q. What should I know before starting to develop a comprehensive plan for my community?[/QUOTE]

What Intergovernmental Agreements between your municipality and neighboring jurisdictions (i.e. the County) exist regarding planning. You may be required to hold joint meetings with city and county planning commissions and notify them of any planning activities outside of the town limits, but within your allowed planning area.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Does a food desert map & discussion belong in a Comp Plan ?
    Oddball

Quote Originally posted by blevy View post
    Q. What should I know before starting to develop a comprehensive plan for my community?
    What Intergovernmental Agreements between your municipality and neighboring jurisdictions (i.e. the County) exist regarding planning. You may be required to hold joint meetings with city and county planning commissions and notify them of any planning activities outside of the town limits, but within your allowed planning area.[/QUOTE]

Look at Yakima WA, thay have a joint Urban Area Plan with the County and adjacent citie(s)

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Has this been your experience / not surprised ?

First sentence of article about the meeting.
    Details were presented but few questions were asked at a meeting of the Area Plan Commission on Wednesday evening at Branch Library to solicit input for updating the community's Comprehensive Plan Future Land Use Map.

About 10 people attended the meeting about the 20-year plan that will guide local government officials in making land use and development decisions
    Of these 10 people - 2 were students, 2 were Commission members, 1 was runing for city council, and 1 reporter from the newspaper.
    The meeting was advertised in both the printed newspaper and their web edition.
    Oddball

Registered
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella View post
    Great thread EG - I turned it into a sticky.

Here's a question/scenario that stumped me on a project I had about a year and a half ago:

Q. What do you do when you've exhausted all of your means and still cannot get any substantial public input for the community's plan?

Well, you can get creative:
    http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2011...-video-kicks-o
    OR, you tap into your community contacts and get them energized.
    As a last resort (and ONLY if theer is a threat of a bad plan being adopted) you give the community all the cold hard facts. They'll show up.

Quote Originally posted by Plan-it View post
    Has anyone had and experience running any modeling with the comp plan to try and combine land use and transportation elements (i.e. run your land use model(s) with existing vs planned transportation systems to determine choke points, congestion, etc)?
    We use the countys' comp plan along with the cities' comp plan for input into the transportation model. Conversely, we develop landuse forecasts with city and county planners so that we're all on the same page for planning purposes and to be consistent with all of the comp plans.

Quote Originally posted by masterplanner View post
    Well, you can get creative:
    http://www2.journalnow.com/news/2011...-video-kicks-o
    OR, you tap into your community contacts and get them energized.
    As a last resort (and ONLY if theer is a threat of a bad plan being adopted) you give the community all the cold hard facts. They'll show up.
    masterplanner.... i want to chat with you. Please send me an e-mail. Thanks, FL Planner.

Registered
    Jun 2002
    I think it would be helpful if some of the senior members here could post their Table of Contents for their Comprehensive Plan.

This could be used as a general guide as to what is being included in typical Comprehensive Plans.

Some sub-headings may be helpful, too.

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Has this thread been exhausted concerning what should go into a model Comprehensive Plan?

Is there a model Comprehensive Plan that could be referenced (or better yet, seen on line) that someone thinks could be used as a guide for comments here? (Or recommended for use?) Should the separate sections of a model Comprehensive Plan be put on line in separate threads in Cyburbia - for comment?

Is there a model Comprehensive Plan that has been publicly evaluated showing good and bad points that could be useful in developing our own specific plan?

Have there been awards for Comprehensive Plans that are available for reference and use in improving our own Comprehensive Plan?

Can anyone share their written comments that they have made in addressing points that were deficient when their Comprehensive Plan was prepared by outside professionals?

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Q. What do you do when you've exhausted all of your means and still cannot get any substantial public input for the community's plan?
    We, too, have the same problem, but we also find that when we get too many people attending a public hearing, it becomes unruly and little gets accomplished other than eventually angry comments about other citizens.

It seems that one way to approach the problem of getting responsible input is to have a series of separate published meetings with special invited constituent interests such as: real estate agents, developers, builders, homeowner associations, architects, landscape architects, engineers, school and school board reps, water association reps, planning commissions from other areas, county planners, fire volunteer/department reps, "chamber of commerce" reps, civic organization reps, city staff, city representatives (Aldermen), and garden club reps, bankers and loan officers, "historians," past planning commission members, or any group that you specifically want input from. Of course some of these could be grouped together.

The sign-in list alone should give your "public hearing" some credibility and some useful info on who you are planning for.

Don't forget to have some "coffee and cookies" for your "invited" guests to also help break the tension and potential adversarial relationship, and to provide an opportunity for "small talk" in arriving at meaningful input, and a way of thanking the people who do show up.

If you have had other formally advertised meetings for the public, that would count for the legal aspects of Public Hearings even if no one showed up. These informal gatherings would be a way to get meaningful informal input with less intimidation of "public hearings," and you would probably get more meaningful input from your guests. It is also an informal opportunity to show citizens what you do and a way to gain public support for your ideas.

A disgruntled guest can also be more easily dealt with in an informal setting to ease the tension, and for him to be easily out-numbered, or for him to really have an opportunity to express himself in a less than "public" setting. It may be that some real input can be gained from such an individual if he has a chance and time to talk about his problem. Also, he may be excluded from other special invited guest meetings so as not to be disruptive in them.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

More at Cyburbia

1. Comprehensive Master Plan
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 21 Aug 2003, 11:01 PM