Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What is job security worth??

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries

What is job security worth??

I know it will seem like I am crying when I should be rejoycing... but here is my situation. I have been in this job for about a little over a year and a half. I really like my coworkers, my job hours and projects. I get compensated decently and the benefits are the best I have ever had. Well last year when I took the civil service test for this position I also took the test for Planning Director. To much of my surprise... I passed both and placed first on the Planning Director list. Well.. now I finally have recieved a canvas letter position that is open in a town that is a bit further of a commute,,,and there would be night meetings... and all the stress that comes with being the top and probably only planner... but.. my salary could almost increase by 45%... but that is the high range. The low range would be a lateral move for me salary wise. My thoughts are to express interest... but only take the position for a higher end salary.. like at least a 35% increase.

and... my other issue... at what point in time should I bring this up with my boss..as I would really rather stay here....and there is a possibility that they could reopen a higher position that used to exist?
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I was recently faced with a similar situation, where a Planning Director job opened up near my hometown......I spoke about it with the former Planning Director in that town and decided against applying.....BUT....I also spoke with my current boss about it, and we spent a good amount of time discussing things I can do here that will prepare me for that next step, and discussed long term aspirations and goals. It has helped both of us understand what my expectations are, and that while I love working here and don't want to leave, the day will some sometime when it is the right time for me to make a move, and being upfront with him has helped both of us prepare for that day.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

I was in a situation where I switched jobs because the slary was over 10k better and was a position higher than where I was. Despite enjoying the extra money, it hasn't translated into any happiness in the job. I probably would have been happier making less but enjoying the work I was doing and the fun co-workers. I am now in a situation where I would make a lateral move to another community with the same or even possibly lower salary.

I guess I would recommend that you go and see what the other City has to offer. Maybe you will find out that it is not a situation you want to be in...or maybe it will turn out that the job would be great. If anything maybe you can parlay this into a salary increase at your current job.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would pursue it as you seem to have suggested. If you are offered the job and it looks like it would be a good job, you could take it. If not, decline. Or you might use it to leverage something better where you are. Once you are offered the job, go to your present employer and inform them that you have the offer. Explain that you like where you are and only want to leave to advance your career. Then ask whether they intend to reopen that higher position.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    well I drafted a letter... I think it is worth pursuing. Thanks for the input.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Good to hear. It can't hurt to see what the possibilities are. I've told my boss that I've looked at other jobs and it's always a good conversation because you can start to talk about what is good and bad about the job you have and why you would leave (besides title and $$ if it's there).
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Got security?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 02 May 2011, 1:08 PM
  2. Security in your building?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 35
    Last post: 09 Feb 2009, 12:03 PM
  3. Ugh! ...work web security
    Friday Afternoon Club