Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Use Control for Existing Neigborhood Corner Retail

Registered
    Dec 2001

Use Control for Existing Neigborhood Corner Retail

There is a plethora of non-conforming neighborhood corner commercial/office in Peoria that has been rezoned (for the last 30 years) as residential. This dramatically diminishes the marketability of the structures.

Are there any codes that address use changes for these type of structures that I could integrate into our code? Are there any cleaver ways of dealing with these structures....aside from rezoning or non-conforming use/structure approval process.

I was throwing the idea around of a special use w/ performance guidelines and/or established form requirements.

Any ideas?
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    There is a plethora of non-conforming neighborhood corner commercial/office in Peoria that has been rezoned (for the last 30 years) as residential. This dramatically diminishes the marketability of the structures.

Are there any codes that address use changes for these type of structures that I could integrate into our code? Are there any cleaver ways of dealing with these structures....aside from rezoning or non-conforming use/structure approval process.

I was throwing the idea around of a special use w/ performance guidelines and/or established form requirements.

Any ideas?
    We dealt with this issue in Muskegon, MI and a few years ago added provisions to the ordinance that allowed this type of building (commercial but zoned residential, not already converted to a residential use) to be used for some limited commercial purposes as special uses. Specific language can be found at http://www.shorelinecity.com/communi.../zoningord.asp - look at any of the residential districts and you'll see the same general language under Special Land Uses Permitted starting, "Previously existing or established commercial uses not already converted to a residential use may be authorized under Special Use Permit for the following..."

The special use option was used several times while I was there, and seems to be a good solution to allow some limited commercial use of these buildings, which would otherwise be sitting empty...

Deb

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    We are struggling with this very issue. Unfortunately, our solution is a smattering of PUDs throughout older neighborhoods.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Thanks for everyone's help. I fowarded the information to a tech unsavy senior planner. He's integrating the information into code that works for us.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Sorry!
    Off Topic, but couldn't resist. :-}

plethora
    That word familiar to you El Guapo ?
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interpretation Corner lot: which is the front?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 51
    Last post: 23 Aug 2014, 4:51 PM
  2. Replies: 25
    Last post: 17 Dec 2010, 3:12 PM
  3. Enforcing neigborhood covenants
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Apr 2007, 12:33 PM
  4. Corner Lot Etiquette
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 33