Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Things to do in Portland

Registered
    Aug 2003

Things to do in Portland

The concept that it's still in the 30s-40s in mid-April boggles me (what the heck is up with that, chicago?) so I'm already thinking ahead towards summer. (Hey, when you're out waiting for the 55 bus to pick you up and its 20 minutes late, your mind starts to lose it).

Anyway, due to some scroogian personal budgetting, i've managed to get myself a trip to Portland, OR, and i'm just wondering if anyone can give me suggestions on things to see, both from a tourist perspective and from a planning perspectivce.

Currently on my list: Forest Park, Powell's city of books, riding TriMet around (yellow, blue, and red, from one end of the line to the other), Pearl District, everything downtown including Ohm (perhaps the only nightclub I wouldn't need a fake for in Portland) Pioneer Square and Old Town/chinatown, Washington Park (or whatever the one that has the international rose test garden), and Hawthorne Blvd (I've just heard that it's "trendy").

Registered
    Jan 2004
    if you can get out of the city for half a day or so, check out the columbia river gorge (Vista House, Multnomah Falls, and some of hte smaller waterfalls).

In the downtown area: Waterfront Park, Portland State University, NW 23rd Ave.
    Also check out the Chinese Classical Gardens in Old Town/Chinatown, and since u are already going to Washington Park (Rose test garden) i would suggest u take the MAX lightrail line out there... the underground station is kind of cool.

Thats all i have off the top of my head right now..

and btw, do you DOD?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    If you can get into the Hood River Valley, this is the spring blossom time. I was there for the annual festival last year - held simultaneously at communities throughtout the valley. It is exceptionally beautiful.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    The Saturday Market is cool - lots of local artists selling stuff outdoors with bands and street performers on hand.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

     
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Check out the Irvington neighborhood. Handsomely restored homes and a quiet middle class neighborhood close to a few retail streets with restaurants/shops. The annual Irvington home tour is May 16th.

Take the streetcar to the 23rd Ave retail district. The trip takes you past many of Portland's new loft developments. And don't miss the famous Rose's Deli and Bakery on 23rd.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan in place. Just find a place to gain elevation and gawk at the views.

If you have a car, forget about going to Hood River (sorry, wind surfers), come to the coast where the real action is....... :-}

Registered
    Aug 2001
    We had another thread on this subject. Maybe there are good tips there too.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    thanks all, hopefully i'll have some pics up when i get back (the trip is in early summer)

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004
    What are some of the high-up places to get a good view of the city? (Preferably ones accessible by mass transit)

Registered
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally posted by tbone
    What are some of the high-up places to get a good view of the city? (Preferably ones accessible by mass transit)
    One of hte best views of the city is from Pittock Mansion. Im not sure what the best way of getting there via Mass Transit is, they might have a shuttle from Washington Park, in which case u can take the MAX to the WA. Park station...
    again, i'm not sure about the shuttle, but u can check up on that.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008

The Frugal Traveler in Portland - 2009

*Bump*

The 'Frugal Traveler' of the NY Times visited Portland and apparently loved it:
    http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/05/10...pagewanted=all

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Council Crest Park has great views of the city.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I was there is August and would recommend Mt. Tabor Park as well as taking the Portland Tram up to OHSU. Great views from both places. Another fun street with funky stores and shops is Sandy Blvd (see "the Hollywood District"). It's also outside of the downtown area so you get to see another part of the City (so is Mt. Tabor). Ladd's Addition is also a pretty cool neighborhood (from a planner's perspective) with diagonal streets and landscaped roundabouts. Whether you are religious or not "The Grotto" is a cool and beautiful place and might be worth a stop. It's also on Sandy Blvd. I believe.

Oh, and if you like beer I'd highly recommend a stop at Rogue Public House or Deschutes Brewery.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hello from Portland!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 31 Mar 2010, 1:55 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Dec 2006, 8:41 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 08 Dec 2005, 10:42 PM
  4. Replies: 8