Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Not a laughing matter, or is it?

Registered
    Mar 2003

Not a laughing matter, or is it?

This thread can have many titles.

Robin Hood meets the Easter Bunny.
    What practical joke not to pull on a new boss.
    No sense of humor.
    Tension Tension Tension.

Well guys here goes, and no one ever said I didn't have a sick sense of humor...

New Boss, tension in the office.
    She re arranges the office. I have had meltdowns all week about it, My family decided they want to come look while no one is around.
    So I bring my husband and my daughter up.

The new boss has put out a dish of candy and had previously told me to help myself. It is white chocolate, one of my daughters favorites, I tell her she should try a piece and she does. Then in an Easter spirit she decided she should leave one on all the desks in my office area. We know that I am not going to be in on Monday so it will take them a while to figure it out.

So when I come in today I am called into HR and asked if I know anything about it. I don't lie so I say yes I do. I apologize and say that I need to get more candy and replace what was passed out. I am feeling pretty bad.

There are so many ways this could have played out, this is possibily the worst of the options. I assume that was my first offense and that they are not going to fire me for this, but they are looking for reasons and they blew it way out of porportion.

So Throbbing Brain are you laughing with me or telling me what a horrible employee I am and how could I allow such horrible things to happen??

As an appology, I have sent my daughter to the candy factory to replace what was passed out. I told her to buy alot of candy to replace what was passed out and an additional box to put in the break room.

I know you all will be brutally honest with me.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Passing out candy is an "offense" where you work? What kind of idiots run that place?

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Hmmmm.......if it was Godiva chocolates, then I would have called out the firing squad. Otherwise, it sounds like your boss needs a life and an enema.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I am neither laughing with you nor telling you it was horrible. If that were my office I would have enjoyed the little mystery, and it was at easter time too!

Why on earth would your new boss get HR involved in this? Thats just plain silly.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Hmmmm.......if it was Godiva chocolates, then I would have called out the firing squad. Otherwise, it sounds like your boss needs a life and an enema.

For the most part, I agree with Planderella. But - I'd add the HR folks to the enema list.

So apparently there is an organizational policy against unauthorized distribution of candy? WTF?!?!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I can laugh at the absurdity of your situation, but mainly I have to just ask WTF?!
    What kind of uptight sadists are running your office?

Quote Originally posted by Chet
    Why on earth would your new boss get HR involved in this? Thats just plain silly.
    She's probably jealous that she didn't think of doing something nice for the office and is so small-minded that she felt "up-staged" and thus demonstrated whatever insecurity she has by running to HR.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    Someone has got some serious issues. The boss needs to take the broomstick out of his/her butt and get back to chasing Toto :-P .
    “Ahh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

Registered
    Oct 2001
    If they are making a big deal on this piddly crap then they want you gone. You applied for "her" job, right? Well get your resume ready and start hunting real hard. JMHO. Good luck.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    I can laugh at the absurdity of your situation, but mainly I have to just ask WTF?!
    What kind of uptight sadists are running your office?
    I completely agree! I say, "Boss = Jackass!"
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    I second El Gaupo. In another lifetime, I worked at a place where a similar issue came up. No disciplinary action came out of it, just lots of humiliation. I was fortunate to be able to leave less than 2 months later, and HR was surprised when I told them goodbye.
    Things are much, much better now. Trust me, there's hope.
    By the way, did everyone enjoy their contraband chocolates?
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    IMHO Petty -
    aren't there bigger more important issues / problems in life, let alone work, then this to get steamed-up about.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001

A couple things...

I agree with Guap... It's time to look around.

Just some things to mention. Did you get a letter of reference from your old boss? If not, try to get one after the fact, and know THAT contact number for your resume. If they want references from your current employer, explain the situation and give your new boss' boss as the contact.

Second, when you leave, buy everyone one of those small Whitman samplers... even your new boss. Only, leave hers in the heater so they melt next winter.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

What a load of crap. Let me guess, this HR person is the type that feels the need to send out a Company/City-wide e-mail or memo for every miniscule deviation from company policy? Is there someone more reasonable that you could discuss this with like a mayor/city administrator/president? What company rule did you break in doing this? Its not like you went into the boss' desk and took candy out.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2003
    I have seen such behavior before and it always amazes me. I'd be laughing, but aware of new office dynamics. You could end up on the outside looking in.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    That is so absurd. If the boss offered you candy, what is the big deal? I am truly shocked that HR was brought into the situation. Your boss could have asked you about it, it really is not that big of a deal. What a bloody scrooge you work for? I think someone has some jealousy, insecurity, and control issues. She probably knows you wanted that job and this is her way of letting you know that she is the boss and in control. Put a candy bowl on your desk if she is that stingey, plus put better candy in your bowl. That will be a perfect way to exact a strange sort of revenge b/c no one will want her stinkin' candy after the way that you were treated. Boy, did she ever make herself look good to her new employees.

A former boss of mine had a phrase for situations like that, he called it "gagging on gnats". The folks in your office seriously need to get a life. However, I guess that I should remove the log from my own eye before discussing the speck in yours. We have a person in our office who, after becoming concerned about "missing" coffee supplies proceeded to lock them all up. The only problem is that the person who makes the coffee (me) did not have a key.

Things got real serious one morning as I arrived to find that the break room was out of coffee filters and our paranoid "coffee nazi" was out sick. Needless to say, the coffee supplies were released from lockup soon thereafter.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Sep 1999
    In my last job, I was written up because one of my team members left a page of notes attached to a report he turned in to management, while I was on vacation! Even though I wasn't there, it was my fault.

When you get hit for something so trivial/stupid, it's the beginning of the end.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Over reacted....watch out for the candy Nazis
    You darn tootin', I like fig newtons!

Punishing you because your daughter is a sweet heart, get out of that place ASAP, ASAP!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    What TIO said.

Some folks DESPERATELY need therapy. Or maybe a brush with death to get their priorities straight. (But that is NOT a suggestion that you should try provide such enlightening experiences -- let "god" take care of it! :-} )

Other than the fact that you work for psychos who have trained in terrorist tactics, why in heck are you feeling bad about this???

Seriously: I don't understand why this merits feeling bad. Is your boss so very poor that passing out her chocolate means she now cannot afford to eat for the rest of the month? Someone went into a diabetic coma because of your vicious passing out of free candy that someone else brought to the office, left unsecured, and encouraged you to partake of?

This is a PLANNING office, isn't it? Is your boss so stupid that she can't foresee misuse of policies like that? What is the "defense" equivalent of "inevitable discovery"? You know: "If it hadn't been me, it would have been someone else. The candy was just sitting there, unsecured, and we had not been trained in how to handle candy correctness (like "gender correctness") on the job. I think there is a deficiency in our training program. ...." etc, ad nauseum.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    What an incredibly absurd situation! Many things go through my mind...

I often bring in a bag of candy that I set in a dish. It is there to be eaten. I don't care who eats it. I don't monitor it. If a kid were to come in and put a piece on each desk, so what? If she were a good boss she would be the first one in each morning, and seeing her precious candy investment scattered about, she might have gathered it all together before the lowly employees had a chance to eat it. Let's be fair. Maybe she was concerned about their diets. I wonder if the HR people are taking this seriously or snickering at your boss. How are your fellow employees treating this horrible offense?

I wonder if your new boss has job security issues. She knows you were the interim director, and maybe she feels threatened by your presence in the office. She could want to "put you in your place" or even get rid of you. It could be a bad situation. Are her supervisors going to support you?

I was in a similar position once. I was actually written up for saving the company money! I rented a car from someone other than the "preferred" company. Understand, this was the common practice and I was told I was not required to rent there, but they were looking for any reason - they couldn't come up with anything related to my output, so they used this sort of thing. It was time to move on.

El Guapo may have it right. Consult with co-workers you trust. Guage whether higher-ups will support you. See what other opportunities might be available.

By the way, is this her first time as a boss? Coming in and making massive changes is usually a really bad way to start. I saw this with many fresh lieutenants in the Army. (I was a sergeant before getting a commission, so I saw it from both sides.)
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Well all of your words of wisdom have been GREATLY comforting as more than anything today I needed the opinions of reasonably sane people to give balance to what has become a completely insane situation. As your words of support were pouring in, I was being counseled on my indescretion and then received a written warning for my horrific behavior.
    It was a written warning because I was provided with a verbal warning to accompany it because I had been rude and disrespectful to a commissioner because when he asked me about a certain situation I told him he would have to talk with his new director about it because I was told that I was to stay out of it. I do admit that it did come out a bit snotty but this is a commissioner that had been previously open about work issues and there was no one else around. I went to look for him to appologize for my behavior right away but he was no where to be found. I immediately wrote him a note of appology that met with no response.

Yes you are all on target, she is insercure and has no respect for anything that happened before she came. She has thrown away file cabinets full of information. When she asks me for information, she totally discounts everything I say, and no I do not have the support of anyone in control of this situation. I have been applying for jobs but they won't happen fast enough. I am on my way out the door. I knew that the first day. I just wish in situations like this that one party would not have to make the other look bad but just end it. But that is not the way the system works.
    Yes I know, I know, get out......
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Without repeating many of the thoughts above...buy some nice paper and envelopes and start shopping your resume around. I was once written for doing my job as I was taught Go figure. I no longer work there because they had to do layoffs. I think management was the problem.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Queen B

Yes you are all on target, she is insercure and has no respect for anything that happened before she came. She has thrown away file cabinets full of information. When she asks me for information, she totally discounts everything I say, and no I do not have the support of anyone in control of this situation.
    She sounds like my and BEK's former boss. How was that situation resolved? Almost 15 people quit during her time there and then the current administration forced her to resign.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Sneezing and laughing
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Aug 2010, 11:49 AM
  2. Laughing at James Bond
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 12 Aug 2004, 2:25 PM