Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Burning some midnight oil

Registered
    Dec 2003

Burning some midnight oil

Well looks like I'll be here pretty late tonight and tomorrow (all night baby) in order to finish this rough draft copy thats do tomorrow. Some other dude thats here went to get some beer so that should help me think .

So I guess my question is, what do you do to keep going all night?. I've been drinking coffee all day, and I couldn't get my hand on any truckers speed, but a beer might actually make me come to my senses right about now.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2004
    I've got no advice for you as far as stayin' up all night, but I can commiserate: I've got my own thesis rough draft due tomorrow. Been plugging away at this for the past eight hours and feeling pretty good, but not done yet. I just ate a deep-friend chicken burrito and I can tell you that it does no good whatsoever when it comes to keeping awake. Good luck.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by vaughan
    I just ate a deep-friend chicken burrito and I can tell you that it does no good whatsoever when it comes to keeping awake. Good luck.
    Now I'm getting hungry and delusional. They probally thought I was smoking the bubonic chronic at work this morning because my eyes were so red from last night. They understand though. Good luck to you on your quest.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I used to drink a giant Mt Dew and eat 12 oz of chocolate coverd peanuts and start writing. I did my best writing between 3-5 AM
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Jul 2002
    It's been a long time since I pulled an all-nighter to get an assignment finished!

I would warn that coffee has diminishing returns: you reach a point where too much caffeine plus not enough sleep gets your thoughts whirling like butterflies that you can't catch

I like giff's suggestion of chocolate peanuts - I used to have a supply of something sweet like chocolate to keep me going. But don't eat your sugar supplies all at once or you'll have a brief sugar high, followed by a big no-energy low.

It's all about balance! And a little bit about butterflies

PS: good luck gettting it finished!
    Last edited by Tranplanner; 16 Apr 2004 at 8:11 AM.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNL
    PS: good luck gettting it finished!
    I'm like MacGyver, it will been done with T-minus 2 seconds remaining

Registered
    Aug 2001
    i open a window for some cool air and drink diet coke (like right now...)
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I'll swear by cola and corn flakes. It's kept me going tonight. (stupid lab writeups)
    Off to Zanzibar--To meet the Zanzibarbarians!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Apple juice and M&M's got me through my all-nighters. I didn't start drinking coffee until after uni.

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    If I'm extremely tired, no amount of coffee or caffeine in this world will keep me awake. When I need to burn the midnight oil, the best thing for me to do is take little naps in increments of 15-30 mins, then wake up and write. I've gotten more (and the best) work done that way.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    A small amount of exercise won’t hurt either. Stand up walk around, jog in place; these will get the blood circulating again. If you’re working on the PC, stand up in front of it and type. May not be good for your back, but your looking to stay awake, not healthy. :-P
    “Ahh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    So I guess my question is, what do you do to keep going all night?.
    As Downtown and others can attest to, having a new infant within earshot of the bedroom is one sure way to be kept up most of the night.

They do nothing, however, for helping to finish projects or theses.
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Diet coke, occassional light exercise (walking), cool temperatures, sugary snacks but no heavy food, and 20-minute naps away fromthe computer screen.

I have found that forcing myself to stay awake when my body wants to shut down is just a bad idea. I don't think straight, if I can think at all. I might as well just get a few hours of sleep and tackle it fresh in the morning.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Soul's Midnight
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 22 Apr 2014, 1:14 AM
  2. Burning Man vs Sturgis
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 32
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 2:34 PM
  3. Replies: 0