Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: My brother going to Iraq

Registered
    Jul 2003

My brother going to Iraq

Just found out my brother, a Captain and soon to be Major, is going to Iraq in a few weeks. He is a CH-53D Sea Stallion pilot stationed at Kaneohe Bay MCAS and will be doing a FAC (forward air control) tour. Kind of scary. He is now at Camp Pendleton for three weeks of training. Anybody here have family that is there now or has since come home? Interesting thing is that he is the only one from his unit going since he has the most FAC experience.

Pictured at far left.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Best of luck to your brother and the rest of the troops over there right now. Our prayers and thoughts are with them.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Get it done and get home!
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Best wishes to your brother for a successful and safe TOD.

A local national guard unit is being called up for deployment to Afghanistan for a 12 month TOD. I'm not a very religious person, but I say a little prayer for all our troops.
    Batter up!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I will include your brother, his unit, and your family in my prayers for all of our troops. Handle business troops!
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My best wishes to your brother and I hope following his tour of duty he will come home safe and well.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Thank you for your thoughts. Our family is in uncharted waters. This is my only family member up to my deceased grandparents who have been sent on a combat mission (although his may be more support but it's all combat when you are getting shot at) .

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    good luck and godspeed to your brother and his unit.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    safe travels and return to your brother and to all those abroad.
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Here's hoping your brother comes back safe and sound!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2002
    My brother just got back from Iraq. We were on pins and needles for the year since he was in a pretty dangerous area. He is now counting the days until he is out of the Army. It really sucked for him since he missed the funeral of our uncle, though fortunately the Red Cross was able to get a satellite phone to him so they could speak before our uncle passed, as well as the birth of his first children, twin boys. He was fortunate enough to be granted 2 weeks of R&R during which he saw his sons, but that can't be expected to make up for it.

I wish your brother the best, and apologize for my pessimism, but my brother's experience there left me quite bitter about the whole war. I support all of our people who are over there and wish them a safe and speedy return.
    Last edited by plannerkat; 16 Apr 2004 at 2:31 PM.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    MS, Not Margaritaville, though we are building one
    I hope for a safe visit, and a quick return for your brother and all other troops there.

A good friend of mine got back from there a few months ago. He was very jumpy for a while. Now he is doing fine, and hoping he doesn't have to go back anytime soon.
    “Ahh! Beer. So many choices. And it makes so little difference."
    - Bender

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Good luck to you and your kin. I echo the others, good speed and lets wrap this messup.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Jul 2003

OT: "Loose Lips Sink Ships"

SlavetotheGrind, you have my compassion. But, as a military wife for the last 18 years, it bothers me somewhat the amount of details you included in your comments. This is a totally open board. A person does not even need to be signed up as a member to read what is said here. So, for the benefit of anyone else who might have a similar announcement in the future:

a) It is generally bad policy to give details of time and place about the professional activities of any military members you personally know. Someone "in the know" (like "enemy intelligence") will know what kind of training is done where, therefore: naming the amount of time that someone of a particular MOS ("job title") is going to be stationed at a particular military base prior to disembarking, while it may be meaningless to most folks, it can tell others exactly what kind of training they are doing.

b) Giving the specific qualifications for which the military member has been singled out to go is not only a potential risk to national security, I would deem it a personal risk to your brother. If someone is singled out because of exemplary skill and talent, that can not only suggest tactics which are important to upcoming battle strategies, but it can single that individual out as a potential crucial link in the chain. For forces like the ones we are presently up against -- whom our military is vastly superior to -- guerilla tactics and targetting key personnel and key weak points is their only hope. For the sake of your brother's life, I hope you will remove some of those details from the post. There is a reason why we do not single out (by dress, etc) who the officers are, etc, on the field of battle in a blatant manner: It makes them targets. The enemy will focus more effort on taking them out than on "just anyone".

If you go back through my posts, I never said where my husband was going when he was gone earlier this year. That is not a question I will answer in an online forum to ANYONE. I also rarely speak about what kind of work he does. Or give any other details about his work -- For his safety as well as national security.

Please do not take offense. I am hardcore military culture. Most folks do not think about such things. But it is a Given in my life. I am saying this as much for your sake and your brother's sake as for "national security": What with "Homeland Security" efforts, I would hate to see you investigated. I would also hate to see your brother's life put in an unnecessary amount of danger.

Peace and good luck to your brother and your family.

EDIT:
    PS: For the sake of your brother, I, personally, think you should remove his picture from the WWW. Sigh. I have visions of some terrorist printing it off, enlarging it and looking for him.
    Last edited by Michele Zone; 16 Apr 2004 at 6:16 PM.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by plannerkat
    My brother just got back from Iraq. We were on pins and needles for the year since he was in a pretty dangerous area. He is now counting the days until he is out of the Army. It really sucked for him since he missed the funeral of our uncle, though fortunately the Red Cross was able to get a satellite phone to him so they could speak before our uncle passed, as well as the birth of his first children, twin boys. He was fortunate enough to be granted 2 weeks of R&R during which he saw his sons, but that can't be expected to make up for it.

I wish your brother the best, and apologize for my pessimism, but my brother's experience there left me quite bitter about the whole war. I support all of our people who are over there and wish them a safe and speedy return.
    A fellow urban planner I work with is in a unit that was called to Iraq last February, He was supposed to be back this February, but that got delayed until June. And just today, it was announced that his unit will not be back to AT LEAST September.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Hope everything goes OK for your brother and your family.

My next-door neighbor's 19-year old is due to head to Iraq in a few months. I'll keep your family and his in my thoughts.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I will agree with MZ on this issue.

I can't even begin to know what you are feeling / experiencing,
    except get involved in a support group and above all else pray.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My nephew was shipped over there in January. I was more apprehensive about him going than I was when I went ten years ago. This is a much dicier situation. I am very concerned for all of our troops.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Dec 2003
    See STTG, only a family which has kin in the forces knows the pain and the seriousness of these wars. The rest of the world just watches TV, sympathises and later parties in weekends.
    I wish your brother all the courage and the luck and your family all the support. Believe me, I know what it must feel.
    Some body has to to the dirty job( I mean the good jobs are generally dirty) and your brother happens be one of them.
    So all the best to him again and to your family too.

PS:

This is a totally open board. A person does not even need to be signed up as a member to read what is said here
    In fact I wanted to mention this earlier to Dan and the group of moderators. Of course all one needs to know a person is to read all the posts in cyburbia. Because in Cyburbia, people discuss everything. From Planning issues to very personal aspects like the color and style of underwear. :-P

But when it comes to military aspects then I agree with Michele quite a lot.

PPS: Imagine some terrorists reading the cyburbia. They would become better terrorism planners or leave terrorism altogether. Coz they would go mad. Just a joke Ok. But ..
    HAHAHAHA
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Good wishes to your brother STTG and to your family. Ask your brother to say 'gidday' to the Air Traffic Controllers at Baghdad airport - I don't know any of them but apparetnly that is one of the jobs the RAAF is doing.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I just found out that one of my baby cousins is being sent to Afghanistan next week. He's in the Air Force.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003
    As a member of a (retired) military family, and someone with relatives and friends in/entering the military, I agree wholeheartedly with MZ.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That's a fine picture of some able bodied soldiers. It keeps getting closer to home, and I DO think about our guys(which includes girls goes without saying) and the casualties, and how the flames of the bushie rhetoric keep the heat on...

Where are the terrorists anyway and who are they? I think they are in the white house sometimes!

It's not my war, and I don't think God picks sides either...

Proud of America's civilian military work force!

Registered
    May 2003
    Best of luck to your brother. I hope he and all his fellow solders come home safe and soon.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Best wishes and hopefully your brother and everyone else will be home soon.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Big Brother is Watching
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 10 Mar 2006, 5:09 PM
  2. Iraq insight, from my brother
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 25 May 2004, 2:13 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 15 Mar 2004, 4:19 PM