Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: The Perfect Planner?

Registered
    Oct 2001

The Perfect Planner?

Ok Cyburbanites you now have the chance to design the perfect planner. What attributes, education, life and career experience would you give your ideal planner as this person passed through their career?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Prior experience as a telemarketer, so one can handle rejection with aplomb.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Prior experience with waiting tables, so one can still smile and be polite when dealing with total assholes. Waiting tables also cultivates an ability to size up people's character in the first 30 seconds of contact.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Tell Us More Kelly

Share the secrets of waitresses. How do you assess people so quickly?

Registered
    Oct 2000

Sit at my knee, my children and learn the wisdom of a waitress....

Usually, within the time it takes to drop off menus and grab a quick drink order, you can pretty much tell whether or not these people are going to be good customers or pains in the ass. Eventually, good waitstaff can usually tell about how people will tip - but that's usually a much murkier science. I waited tables all through college, a lot of breakfast. The best tippers were students - surprisingly fraternities and sororities yielded the most. The worst were the people who came for breakfast after church - Catholic got out at 10:30, baptists at 11. Baptists were the worst. The waitresses used to fight over who got the Baptist table each week. And that whole thing about judging a person by how they treat their waitress is TOTALLY true, in my opinion. I can honestly say that I was a pretty good waitress - refilled drinks without being asked, let the table know if the kitchen was running late or slow, always remembered what my regulars ate for breakfast. I did pretty well - it paid my bills and my bar tab, what else can you ask for?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Ok that is a good start...

Now...I have always wanted to have the waitress' opinion on tipping. Tell us what is proper, and how to gently tell a waitress/waiter she or he is screwing up. Yield these secrets of Tipping from the wait staff's point of view. Pretty Please.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Ok, here are my guidelines: If the waitress is ok (polite, refills drinks in a timely manner when asked, clears table efficiently, etc) I go with the standard 15%. If she rocks - as in is not only polite, but goes above and beyond the waitressing call of duty such as anticipating drink refills, plate clearing, has a sparkling personality, I'll bump up accordingly.

Ok, if the waitstaff isn't good, it depends. If they cause me to have to leave less than 15%, I'll write them a note on the bill to tell them. Because, honestly, if you leave less than 15%, or stiff them, the waitstaff is going to assume the problem is YOU and you are just a crappy tipper, not that it is anything they've done. So on their copy of the receipt or bill, i'll jot a note and just say something like "My food was good, but the waitstaff didn't offer refills/serve in a timely manner/ wasn't polite - whatever"

If there is a serious problem, such as dinner came out before appetizers, drinks NEVER got refilled, it takes 45 minutes for them to clear plates and give you a dessert menu, let alone deliver a bill, etc, then it is manager time. there is absolutely no excuse for that.

On bad tippers: I don't think that because someone is a bad tipper, it means they are a bad person. My grampa was the WORST tipper ever, because he didn't think he should have to tip, but didn't understand that most waitresses only make $2 or less an hour without their tips and have no benefits. But he was the sweetest man.

I don't think people who have never waited tables really understand how hard it is. For me, it was much harder than being a planner (which is why I went to college). And my brother and sister, who also waited tables through college agree that the job will make you hate humankind because it is surprising how many people treat their servers like crap. it is rough physically and i have no idea how those 40 and 50 year old ladies do it.

Ok, ONE LAST THING and i'm done - there are things that are not your waitperson's fault, such as food taking a long time to come out, or even food being cold. the guys in the kitchen are in control of that (Unless everyone at the table has cold food, then it is your waitress's fault that she let everything sit). BUT your waitperson SHOULD let you know if the kitchen is overloaded or slow and apologize for it, so you're not sitting there wondering what the hell is going on - they're only making a sandwich and a burger for christ's sake. so keep that in mind. OH, and if your waitress is really overloaded with tables, then she should tell you and apologize if she isn't getting to you as quickly as you think she should.

sorry so long, but just wanted you to understand what's going on on the other side of the table. does that help E.G.?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Is El Guapo considering a career move?

The perfect planner should walk very softly and carry the biggest freakin' stick there is!

Registered
    Oct 2001

No career change anticipated TP

I just want to make sure I get it right. Even the Great El Guapo once had to work for a living - that is before I discovered the Gold Mine that is Planning! And I learned a few things about proper tipping. Thanks Kelly.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Planners must come with split personality disorder

the only way to be all things to all people

Danielle
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

The perfect Planner won't exist until they legalize cloning so we can be everywhere and do everything simultaneously.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Perfect Name
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 38
    Last post: 13 Jun 2013, 2:31 PM
  2. Perfect suburbs?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 31 Oct 2011, 9:30 AM
  3. The perfect gift