Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Auburn University Community Planning Program/Policy Oriented track

Registered
    Apr 2004

Auburn University Community Planning Program/Policy Oriented track

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the Community Planning Program at Auburn University. It is currently unaccredited, but supposedly things are in the works for accomplishing that task within the next year.
    Also, I was wondering if one is at a disadvantage for attempting to get a Planning degree where the focus is more on policy and less on design. My undergrad degree is in History, so I lack a design foundation needed by most programs (from what I have seen).
    Last edited by Juanton80; 20 Apr 2004 at 10:19 AM.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Juanton80
    I was just wondering if anyone had any information on the Community Planning Program at Auburn University. It is currently unaccredited, but supposedly things are in the works for accomplishing that task within the next year.
    Also, I was wondering if one is at a disadvantage for attempting to get a Planning degree where the focus is more on policy and less on design. My undergrad degree is in History, so I lack a design foundation needed by most programs (from what I have seen).
    I don't know anything about the Auburn program, but as a graduate of a policy-oriented graduate program (at the University of Iowa) I would tell you that you are not at a disadvantage compared to graduates of design-oriented programs. I say this with the caveat that it depends on what kind of planning you want to do. Obviously, if you graduate from a policy-oriented program, it would be tough to get an urban design job. If your interests run more toward policies, processes and politics, then don't hesitate to apply to policy oriented programs. There are plenty of jobs in planning for both policy types and designer types. Good luck.
    SOME say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice.
    From what I’ve tasted of desire
    I hold with those who favor fire.
    But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate
    To know that for destruction ice
    Is also great
    And would suffice.

Robert Frost (1874–1963) (From Harper’s Magazine, December 1920.)

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally posted by DecaturHawk
    I don't know anything about the Auburn program, but as a graduate of a policy-oriented graduate program (at the University of Iowa) I would tell you that you are not at a disadvantage compared to graduates of design-oriented programs. I say this with the caveat that it depends on what kind of planning you want to do. Obviously, if you graduate from a policy-oriented program, it would be tough to get an urban design job. If your interests run more toward policies, processes and politics, then don't hesitate to apply to policy oriented programs. There are plenty of jobs in planning for both policy types and designer types. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply DecaturHawk!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 13
    Last post: 28 Oct 2012, 1:42 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 21 Dec 2011, 2:41 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 23 Jun 2009, 1:14 AM
  4. Replies: 7
    Last post: 23 Oct 2006, 11:40 PM
  5. Replies: 5