Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Where do your neighbors park their 1 1/4 ton truck?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

Where do your neighbors park their 1 1/4 ton truck?

Ah, time to think about revisions to the property maintenance section of our ordinance. So I am going to ask the first question of many. Part of our ordinance prohibits parking on front and rear of the property, unless 2 acres or more. But if it is an inoperable vehicle (which needs to not only run, but can legally be driven down the street with plates and insurance) they have to be parked in a fully enclosed structure. Does anyone have any restrictions on the size, intent, original characteristics of a vehicle (to prevent school buses from being turned into campers)?

We also permit vehicles being parked on grass only in the side yard… but some have a big side yard. Any other ideas???
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Our main limit is that a home-based business cannot have a truck larger than 1-ton in size.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Quote Originally posted by BKM
    Our main limit is that a home-based business cannot have a truck larger than 1-ton in size.
    What happens if someone has 1 1/4 personal truck? Would that be permitted? Or and RV vs a Personal Bus turned into an RV.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Actually, answering your question led me to identify an error in our forms. Our business license forms contain older language that refers to one ton vehicles or vehicles (like ice cream trucks) modified to perform a business service (out of the home). Our actual current zoning ordinance removes any mention of the one ton limit and only refers to operating a home business with a modified truck or vehicle.

So, I can't help you in your question, but I can now correct our error.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Here is how we deal with parking. I think this covers all of your questions.... (if not, let me know).

We allow only one recreational vehicle per property. If not parked in the garage, it has to be located in the side or rear yard, setback three feet from the property line. They cannot be hooked up to any utilities.The recreational vehicle stored on a property has to be owned and licensed by the property owner. Our definition of recreation vehicle is "A vehicle designed or constructed for the transportation of people, primarily for recreational purposes......" So basically that prevents someone from turning a commercial vehicle into an RV, but not a school bus.

Our ordinance also states "In residential areas, the storage of no more than one commercial vehicle of a rated capacity not exceeding one ton is permitted." Basically personal vehicles over one ton is allowed.

For motor vehicles, we do not limit the number of them allowed on a property. However, as stated in our zoning ordinance, we only allow them in the driveway for parking, and nowhere on the front yard (except for loading/unloading or washing). They also can't block a sidewalk. Cars can also be located in the side and rear yards, but do not have to be on an improved surface. The codified ordinance requires that any vehicle stored or parked outside has to be operable and licensed.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Ok, our ordinance is somewhat bad IMHO.

1) No vehicle can be stored within the require front yard or required side yard.
    2) all vehicles must be stored/parked on a hard paved surface.
    3) Trailers, boats, and other recreational vehicles that do not move on earth under their own power can be stored anywhere in the rear yard; even on grass.
    4) ATV's, dirt bikes, etc. are recreational vehicles, so they don't have to be stored on hard paved surface.
    5) we allow 4 passenger type vehicles to be stored outdoors per property. 1 large vehicle..i mean really large.

The code as worded, prohibits anyone from parking in their driveways within the front yard setback. Stupid, I think so. The worst part is people actually call and complain when their neighbors are parking in their driveways.. Now we have to enforce this stupid code and tell people they can't have their car parked or stored in their driveway.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Vehicle Capacity

You should all take a close look at the intent and meaning of your codes in relationship to vehicles. Often a reference to 1 ton or 1 1/4 ton means the "capacity" of the truck, not the actual weight of the vehicle itself. My Volkswagen Eurovan weighs nearly 5,000 Lbs (2+ tons) and has a capacity of only 1,600Lbs (carry load on the inside). A 1 ton truck may weigh 2.5 tons (or more if 4x4), but be able to haul an additional 1 ton (others can haul 1.25 or 1.5 or 2 tons depending on size and suspension). Remember also that a lot of this debate revolves around how long you want your streets to last and whether you want your neighborhood to look like an industrial yard.......

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. What to do about the new neighbors?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 28 Feb 2013, 1:51 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 09 Jan 2008, 5:11 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last post: 31 May 2007, 9:40 AM
  4. Thy neighbors
    Friday Afternoon Club