Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Short Term Bachelors

Registered
    Jun 2003

Short Term Bachelors

The family is away this week enjoying the school holidays, up the coast, without me (first meeting of new Council this week). I kidded them that while they were away I would eat what I wanted every night, rent the DVD's they won't watch with me yada yada .....

The truth is I don't have any free time to indulge myself because I'm staying at work longer and have to do all the chores they normally do (mainly associated with the pets).

I will have Fish and Chips for dinner tonight though (the thought of which is nearly always better than the realisation) and I was wondering if other Cyburbanites indulged themselves during short periods of bachelordom? Please share, whether it's a fantasy (keep it clean) or something you really do.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Well, I sometimes do the single mom thing for a few months. I stay up late watching movies that I wouldn't normally watch. I pick the house up in the first week or two that he is gone and it actually stays fairly neat. I go do more charity work. When we had a king sized bed, I would leave my piles of books and magazines on his side of the bed -- or my laptop -- and sleep that way. They were convenient to wake up to. This last time, I used the 4 month absence to indulge in the luxury of sleeping on the floor and NOT dealing with the issue of having no bed until I had finished dealing with the mildew problem.

I basically have "two lives" and that has been true for a long time. In Kansas, he was gone 6 months out of every year, part of that time to Saudi. I went and visited relatives for weeks at a time, put sweat equity into our house... there is too much to tell.

     
    Registered
    May 2003
    The wife and the kids will be visiting freinds and relatives this Thursday-Sunday. I plan to enjoy the break, by doing some things I don't get to do as much as I use too. I plan on attending a young professionals socializer, head to a beach festival, eat at a soul food hole in the wall joint, help a freind tile his house and do a little urban photography. Depending on how everything goes, I'll also try to visit the local African American History Museum.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Well lets see, I get up at 5:30 am to go to the gym, without having to worry about getting kids off to school. Then when I get home from work, I cook a quick meal, or go out with friends for a bit to eat. Then I go play basketball, volley ball, mountain biking, or what ever I feel like.

Donít get me wrong. I want a wife and kids someday. But I am going to fully enjoy the moments that I have.
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Short periods of bachelordom? It has been going on for too long now. SOmewhere at the end of my twenties or beginning of the thirties, it wasn't as attractive as it used to be.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Rob gets to be a STB (short term bachelor) much more than I do - my family is three hours away, i couldn't heave a rock from my porch without hitting one of his relative's houses. BUT, it is the beginning of golf season, and I do enjoy my golf widowhood. Well, maybe not so much with a new infant, because now it is more like golf single motherhood.

Registered
    Oct 2001

When I get to go STB

1. Boxers as the full extent of the weekend dress.
    2. Science Fiction Movie with Arnold and Jessie
    3. Mexican Food
    4. Lots of Quake 2 with the sound patched to the home stereo (big loud gun sounds)
    5. The dog gets hot dogs and little bits of steak (shuuush, don't tell the wife!)
    6. No bed time
    7. History Channel 24-7
    8. I pitch things and hope she doesn't notice.
    9. I make many varried gas noises with my body.
    10. I buy hobby related things and pretend I have always had them.

Registered
    Jul 2002

stb

Define short term. I just passed my 10 year divorce anniversary. Still ain't long enough. Bless all you happily married folks. It just wasn't for me.
    WALSTIB

When my girlfriend goes away for a weekend or a night I totally do the bachelor thing (well I guess I am still technically a bachelor). I usually grill something or make something for dinner that she doesn't like such as mussels, lamb, or hot and spicy thai or chineese food. I rent movies that she doesn't like and crank music super loud.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Short periods of bachelordom? It has been going on for too long now. SOmewhere at the end of my twenties or beginning of the thirties, it wasn't as attractive as it used to be.
    I agree with you.
    my problem was in my twenties and early thirties I couldn't afford myself - living hand to mouth, no health insurance
    let alone provide for /support someone else.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2000

My indulging

Here are a few of the things I used to do, I'm a divorcee full time now.

1. 2 or 3 large and messy chili dogs;
    2. Beer before 11:00 am. (obviously);
    3. Baseball game;
    4. Wander around town reading;
    5. Music extremely loud;
    6. Long hot uninterupted bath;
    7. Nap in the backyard;
    8. Trip to be pub for stout and trivia; and
    9. Fishing.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    The only thing that sucks more than the long term life of a bachelor is being locked in a long term death match with a spouse.

Its not what you do, it is the freedom to know you can do it if you want

Like having eggs, bacon, chicken strips, and a pitcher of margarita before 9 am in peace
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Two words: Golf and beer.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Mar 2003
    Having gone though many stages in my life, I believe that one of the greatest joys of fewer people in the house would be that when you clean it, it stays that way.

My eating habits vary between the ability to eat anything I want, to the ability of not going to the store at all and letting the cabinets go bare. My daughter freaks really bad when she comes home to an empty refrigerator.

Opposite of not having a bed time, if I have had a really hard day and I decide to go to bed early I can do that without anyone thinking I am sick...
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm starting to make my list for when my divorce becomes final.

1. Yes, beer before 10:00 am is first (but not on work days).
    2. Watch more baseball on TV.
    3. Nose picking and crotch scratching.
    4. Fishing with my sons.
    5. Sleeping in on the weekends (but not too late, see No. 1).
    I think that one of the great signs of security is the ability to just walk away.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Last year I went ot the APA conference in Denver and then the Montana Association of Planners conference in Big Sky. These were opportunities for me to be a bachelor - away from wife and two year old son.

The first couple of days were sweet. When I got back to my room, there was no one to talk at me. Silence. Sweet, empty silence. I ate what I wanted. Slept when I wanted. Read a book. Watched TV unsuitable for a two-year old.

After a couple of days I missed them and when I got home I was so glad to see them.

Last year for my birthday I took the day off and put my son in daycare. I hiked to Mt. Helena and went to a movie (which I hadn't done in years), then I drove out of town and went shooting. Good times.

Short term bachelorhood to me is time to be alone and quiet.

Registered
    Jul 2002

stb

I agree completely, but I put fishing higher on the list. Saw some Steelheads up at the lake yesterday like you dream about. But thew were too spooked to bite.

Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    1. 2 or 3 large and messy chili dogs;
    2. Beer before 11:00 am. (obviously);
    3. Baseball game;
    4. Wander around town reading;
    5. Music extremely loud;
    6. Long hot uninterupted bath;
    7. Nap in the backyard;
    8. Trip to be pub for stout and trivia; and
    9. Fishing.
    WALSTIB

Registered
    May 1997
    Well, I am hitting the road for a month of STB tomorrow and I must say that I don't look forward to it. I suspect that most successful marriages involve quite a bit of personal space, but ours seems to thrive on being together 24/7. Its probably 'cuz we both like to hit the trail, take naps in the yard, watch a ball game, etc. It is true that I won't have to go shoe shopping for a month or more, but I have found that it is a character building experience.

Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    It is true that I won't have to go shoe shopping for a month or more, but I have found that it is a character building experience.
    The opposite, however, is that K will not have your calming influence to repress the urges to buy lots of shoes. (At least if she's anything like Mrs. G.)
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    I suspect that most successful marriages involve quite a bit of personal space, but ours seems to thrive on being together 24/7.
    a) Lots of personal space is part of the reason my marriage failed.
    b) Lots of personal space is one of the reasons we managed to tolerate each other this long.
    c) Real marriage is a deep commitment between two people, deeper than what you typically see in this day and age. That is one of the reasons my marriage lasted so long: we make each other nuts but we are both very committed (or, perhaps, need to be "committed" ). What you have is intimacy, and I envy that. My husband was just saying for the umpteenth time (2 days ago) how I have no clue who he is. And my response was to the effect of "Ditto".

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    ahhh... all these ideas make me realize how good I have it being single!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Another full-time single here. But when I get the house to myself (housemates away) I like to turn my music up loud and sometimes dance around the house. I used to like having the occasional candlelit bubble bath but current house does not have a bath It's a good opportunity to catch up on movies you've been wanting to see.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    When I'm a Short Term Bachlorette, I do a lot of the stuff mentioned here. The nice thing is doing whatever you want without little prying eyes all around or little ears for that matter. Even stuff like chatting without little people waiting to use the computer or watching what I'm writing is nice. Often I'll watch some chick flick or something that nobody would ever be interested (foreign chick flicks especially). Or being lazy and fixing something like tuna salad on toast for dinner instead of a more elaborate (and balanced) meal. Luckily, I get every other Friday to myself from 8:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m., so I get 'me' time on a regular basis.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    My STB time consists of spending the weeknights and Saturday mornings at the gym. When I'm home, I like to sit on my bed and listen to music while reading a book or magazine.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I'll get about 30-45 minutes of STB when I have to pick up some paper plates, forks, spoons, napkins, etc. for an office pot luck.

I feel selfish when i get STB time, because Mrs. Boiker is home with the kids all day and she needs the time off much more than I do.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Aug 2012, 4:50 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 27 Jan 2011, 11:18 AM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last post: 16 Jul 2009, 2:08 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Jan 2003, 12:04 PM