Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Car Talk Part III - Motor Vehicles of the GLBT Community

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Car Talk Part III - Motor Vehicles of the GLBT Community

A while ago, on the Car Talk Web site, there was a list of the top ten cars for gays and lesbians. Apparently, the top gay car was the Volkswagen Jetta; the top lesbian vehicle was the Subaru Outback.

It doesn't seem like there's anything inherent about these cars that would say "alternative lifestyle," but based on my observations, whenever I see a woman driving in an Outback or Forester, a disproportionately large number of them look butch and serious, many with a passenger that also has the same look. Whenever I see a Jetta driven by a man, a disproportionately large number of them look very attractive and extremely well groomed, at least compared to normal-looking guys like me.

I know not all female Outback and Forester owners are lesbians, and not all male Jetta drivers are gay. (I owned a Jetta several years ago, and thought it was a great car; I wouldn't hesitate to buy one again.) Still, though, what is it about certain vehicles that causes them to be popular among the GLBT crowd?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    May 2003
    I'm a heterosexual male Jetta owner but I see what you mean. I think my roof rack makes me look rugged though.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    As far as the Jetta is concerned, it says that I am thin, clean, and neat and that I enjoy German engineering, albeit steps down from BMW and Mercedes. But in time, my job will allow me to upgrade to said higher makes.

For the Subaru, it says that as a butch lesbian, I appear to enjoy the mountians and trails and dirt roads, but will not appear to be a, gasp, SUV owner. I am still rugged, however and still perfom my lesbian duties with the best of them.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    what is it about certain vehicles that causes them to be popular among the GLBT crowd?
    I think it's partly because VW and Subaru have never been afraid to advertise their product in gay and lesbian publications. With higher than average income levels, gays represent one of the most lucrative consumer markets, and the pioneering companies that recognized that opportunity long ago are now reaping the benefits.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess
    ....With higher than average income levels, gays represent one of the most lucrative consumer markets, and the pioneering companies that recognized that opportunity long ago are now reaping the benefits.
    You had to go and ruin a good, low brow thread with good sense

The above actually does make sense, I would also add in that these companies may actively support GBLT issues, not just advertise in GBLT friendly publications. Backlashes do occur that seem effective.

Take Zima flavored beer for instance. When it first came out, it was a big hit in the gay clubs. Until it was discovered that Zima was a hidden subsidiary of Coors Brewing in CO. After that, you couldn't beg one in a gay club, because there are fewer company's in the country more politicaly homophobic than the Coors family.
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Its just not limited to VW and Subaru.

A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Oct 2001

Volvos and Pride

Whenever you go into a big city Volvo dealership you are quickly sized up based upon:
    1. Sexual orientation
    2. Visibly apparent income level based upon your looks and cloths &
    3. The car you drove to the dealership.

In my case they tend to hide when they see a straight white male around 40 in the planner's uniform driving a 20 year old Volvo 240. Then the salesmen mutually decide who has to help me. This was told to me by the old crusty old ex-marine that eventually was forced by his Pride betters to help me find the parts counter.

The Superior Volvo Dealership in NKC actually has a 10 person Pride sales team. Crusty said about 40% of their sales are Prideful. They have a sales woman that looks just like Alison Janney.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Well now we know where and what donk has been up to.

(older Jetta with Ontario plates B-) )
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess
    I think it's partly because VW and Subaru have never been afraid to advertise their product in gay and lesbian publications. .
    True, but ... I think here, we have the egg coming before the chicken. Soem cars were popular among the GLBT crowd before the manufacturers discovered marketing to that lucrative crowd. I've heard that Subaru and VW advertise in gay media, but what about Mazda? The Miata reportedly has a reputation as being a very ... uhh, proud car.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001

Shouldn't this car be the VW Jetta GLBT instead of the GLS as it is badged on the trunk?[/QUOTE]

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 08 Nov 2010, 7:55 AM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 09 Aug 2010, 4:14 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 07 Jul 2010, 12:52 PM
  4. Hello from the Motor City!
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 28 Mar 2005, 12:30 PM