Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Guess Where The Road Is #1

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by boiker
    I-94 South of Milwaukee
    Nope, definitely not, the land is not THAT flat and I-94 in Racine and Kenosha Counties has a frontage road on each side the whole way. That part of I-94 is also not paved with concrete.

it's also not I-94 in SW Michigan, the land in that image is also waaaaay too flat for there, also that area has more trees and development along the way.

My first guess was also the 6 lane section of the Ohio Turnpike (I-80/90), somewhere between Cleveland and Toledo. Its terrain is flat enough, but again, the Ohio Turnpike uses no concrete in its paving.

My second possibility was I-55 between Lincoln and Springfield, IL. It is a six-lane concrete highway in similarly flat land, but that part of I-55 is not _that_ busy and it has a paralleling railroad.

I'm kindof amazed that that image is in Texas, as SOP in the state is to also place a fontage road (called a 'feeder') on each side of a freeway wherever it fronts along private land, much like those along I-94 south of Milwaukee to the Illinois state line.

BTW, isn't that first image in the initial post the Blue Ridge Parkway? The second is definitely ON 401 in NE Toronto, ON. My first tip-off as to its exact location was the design of the sign bridge's support structure, which is unique to the province.

Mike
    Last edited by mgk920; 22 Apr 2004 at 2:53 AM.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by mgk920
    The second is definitely ON 401 in NE Toronto, ON. My first tip-off as to its exact location was the design of the sign bridge's support structure, which is unique to the province.
    Exactly. There's the sign gantry, the express lanes, the bilingual "EXIT/SORTIE" signs, metric units, and the US FWHA typeface. Also, signs in the US don't include periods after "Rd" or "S".

The Houston image was probably tougher than I realized, because of the lack of frontage roads.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    That Toronto example is actually my old exit when I lived up at the Scarborough Town Centre. It's a brutal stretch of roadway - too many exits/entrances in too short a space.

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Guess the Road #3
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Apr 2004, 11:54 AM
  2. Guess Where The Road Is #2
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Apr 2004, 12:44 PM
  3. The road to nowhere....