Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: A question

Registered
    Jul 2002

A question

This might be an odd question (and I hope I'm posting it in the right place) but I'm looking for general info on breking into the urban design field. The problem is I'm not sure where to start. I unfortantly cannot draw so that leaves me out of most design jobs. I also abhore politics so I'm rather weary of the policy side. I know this will sound somewhat simplistic and perhaps childish, but basicly my ultimately I want to be the guy that that says lets put housing on that block, a park on that block, an office building there and and some stores in that area.
    I realize it's not that easy but I'm really not to sure what skillset I need to get into urban design and what type of entry level jobs are out there that I might be qualified for. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    hard to know what you are qualified for without knowing your qualifications........does that make sense????

What is your field of study?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    oh yeah good question.

Um, I actually have a degree in business admin. from a small liberal arts collage in Maine. It's about 6 years old now. It wasn't too much use to me 6 years ago and it is worth even less now. My current job has absolutly nothing to do w/ urban design and I've never held a job that did. I'm probably going to be taking night classes in a program called Urban Affairs at B.U. in the fall. I'm hoping that will point me in some sort of direction. I like to think I'm capable of learning new things and skills provided an innate 'talent' isn't necessary (drawing, math, singing, etc).
    I'm not too sure exactly what I should be trying to learn.
    Do that help at all or did I just confuse you more?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    You should look into the Urban Affairs class list and see what types of classes you will be taking. My guess is that you will deal a lot with city policies and planning history. I don't think you will be required to do any singing........the math isn't very difficult......and the drawing shouldn't be either.

I am currently a planner in a small town. My ultimate goal might be somewhat similar to yours in that I would like to some day (after attaining years of expeirence in the planning field) break into the private sector and be a planners planner. I would like to work with developers and builders focusing more on the urban design aspect of planning. At that time, I know what I like in large developments.......what planners like........and how cities work. As for the drawing aspect......most all of this is done on computers now, so you shouldn't have to worry about that.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 22 Jun 2012, 10:37 AM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last post: 06 Aug 2010, 12:05 PM
  3. GRE question
    Student Commons
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 12 Jul 2007, 8:41 AM
  4. Question
    Make No Small Plans