Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: This Profession

Registered
    Mar 2002

This Profession

Hey all you city planners.........take a break from your arduous job of molding the future of your cities for the better and tell me what you love and hate about this profession.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Love: the sunshine, rainbows and lollipops feeling that comes from helping the community

Hate: how quickly politics can completely f*** a good project, or prevent one from getting started in the first place.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    love seeing a great idea get supported & implemented

hate politicians that spew venom especially if they dont have a grasp of the facts

love helping people that thank you for your help

hate helping people that then mutter crap about bureaucrats under their breath as they walk away

love promoting but still being low key or "behind the scenes"; don't particularly care care to take credit or take the spot light.
    hate public speaking.

love cyburbia

hate number crunching - get me out in the field once in a while for g*d sake!

love the art of negotiation

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hate the politics - both internal and external. I've got a job to do and the pettiness is a waste of time.

Love seeing a good project come together.

Love having the opportunity to make a difference.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Love -- making a difference in a community
    -- explaining to someone what i do for a living and receiving the standard blank stare in return

Hate -- the pay!
    --

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    LOVE - myself for caring about what happens to the communities and cities.

HATE - myself for caring enough to pass up a lucrative career in ANYTHING else for this.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Absolutely hated the politics that was involved with the planning profession so I left it, and took a job as a designer with a fast-paced engineering firm.

Much more gratifying, instead of saying "No I don't like that" and nobody listens to you anyway, I now take what I like and work them into developments. Plus, there is just so much more going on. The planning filed barely touches the surface as to all that really goes on and is involved with development.

Especially in PA, I mean in PA a planner is pretty much a dreamer because the planning agencies have no regulatory power. The municipalities can take what they say as the word of God or they can completely disregard everything they say. It seems like it was a never-ending uphill battle.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I love being able to play some small part in shaping the growth and thus history of the city i called home. i love helping the little guy realize a dream.

i hate the big guy the screws the little guy. the poilitics, the inability to think outside the box in gov work. the stuffed shirts that take themselves too serious

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Hate being the only one in the office on a Friday after a holiday!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The nursing profession
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 16
    Last post: 06 Jul 2013, 10:35 PM
  2. What can be done to turn this profession around?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 60
    Last post: 13 Mar 2012, 2:38 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 14 Sep 2011, 8:29 AM
  4. What is the planning profession really like?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 19 Aug 2008, 8:01 AM
  5. To thy own profession be true?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Jul 2002, 10:42 PM