Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: My cable internet company

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001

My cable internet company

My cable internet company sent a letter stating that our bill for internet services will go up $10/month because we don't subscribe to their cable TV plan. Is this the case with any of your providers?

We use broadcast TV; it's not like we don't pay for cable but go watch it on someone else's TV. The TV isn't even on when everyone else is gone for the day.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Yeah we have that too, but they word it as a "discount" on internet if you have other subscriber accounts.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Same situation here in western michigan. They were going to charge me $10, so I just ended up getting broadcast basic cable for $14/mo. at least I get a clear picture and I get a few morechannels than what I would get with just using rabbit ears.

sucks don't it!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    I got a $10 discount when I got the cable company's internet service. Then they raised the price $5. Not much of a deal. I'm disconnecting soon and going back to dial-up.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Go back to dial up? ::shivers::

but i would ditch basic cable in a minute and depend on rabbit ears for PBS and local Fox station - if they hike my internet bill that would be OK, if I could stream video channels of my own choosing..i dont think a cable company can really give me what i want. That is, i want more customizable options;

My cable service is the same. You get $10 off the normal price of internet service if you have their cable package. It is fine with me because I can't even think of a time when I didn't have cable. I am too hooked on ESPN, HBO, Comedy Central, and the Food Network to give it up.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

     
    Registered
    Apr 2004

Found great deal w. Adelphia + Free Modem

Just got an unbelievable deal w. Adelphia. Itís $32.95 p/m for 12 months with no contract. They hooked me up with a free cable modem after mail in rebate through this site - http://specials.adelphiaoffers.com I love it!!! I can download, send, and receive hi-rez images with no problems.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    My cable service is the same. You get $10 off the normal price of internet service if you have their cable package. It is fine with me because I can't even think of a time when I didn't have cable. I am too hooked on ESPN, HBO, Comedy Central, and the Food Network to give it up.
    Ditto, but add Discovery, Speed Channel, and FoxSports Net to my hooked list.

I am considering ditching cable tv for satellite even though my internet discount will disappear. I think I can get more service for the same $ even with the $10 increase.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    I guess I'm old fashioned. I still have dial-up internet and refuse to upgrade to digital cable unless I have no other choice do so. How in the heck am I going to watch 10 HBO channels??
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Dial-up? I think I would throw the monitor through a window. ZG, going back to dial up sounds like torture after having broadband. I had to do it for a week during a repair, it was awful.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Guess I don't have the problem you have. You see, believe it or not, I don't have a computer at home. Ditched the dinosaur we had two years ago. Since I have it at work, I don't need one at home. But the wife wants one so we will be getting one shortly. As far as cable, we had our cable provided by our city but ditched it for Dish Network. Much better.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Well, I have separate cable TV and cable internet service providers.
    The Cable TV is about 150 INR per month ( thats about 3 USD/month)
    The Cable internet is about 800 INR per month( that's about 17 USD/month)
    But the cable internet guy took a 3000 INR a one time non refundable activation charge( about 64 USD).
    The monthly internet charges are coming down here slowly. Service is not bad I would say.
    "I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them".
    -Isaac Asimov

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Seems to me that the cable internet pricing packages in the U.S. are pretty much all the same.

Gee, could this have anything to do with the government sanctioned local/regional monopolies the cable companies have?

Say it with me: "Monopolies: bad. Competition: good."
    All these years the people said heís actiní like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Cable Modem + Basic Cable = General Satisfaction (OLN, History Channel, Comedy Central, Fox News, CSPAN, and my local PBS from my home state, thus its all good & the broadband internet is very reliable and fast)

The local private cable company has 24-7 LOCAL tech support and they are really customer friendly and proactive. They are one utility I enjoy paying. I feel I get good value for my money, and I don't say that often.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Doitnow!!
    Well, I have separate cable TV and cable internet service providers.
    The Cable TV is about 150 INR per month ( thats about 3 USD/month)
    The Cable internet is about 800 INR per month( that's about 17 USD/month)
    But the cable internet guy took a 3000 INR a one time non refundable activation charge( about 64 USD).
    I think it's time to contract some indian cable companies in America.
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. The Internet Company Blues
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 30 Nov 2010, 4:15 PM
  2. If Planning Went Cable
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 30
    Last post: 26 Jul 2010, 6:00 PM
  3. Cable stations we need/don't need