Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fries, Cheese and Gravy

Registered
    Sep 2001

Fries, Cheese and Gravy

According to the New York Times Poutine is getting a better reputation. Who knew that little ole poutine would make the Times?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    mmm...anything with cheese and gravy has to be wickedly good!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Couldn't link the article, but I'm always happy to hear news along the lines that eating greasy salted fries (and washing 'em down with a quart of beer) increases one's life expectency.....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't like poutine very much because I'm not a huge fan of the brown gravy and I don't like soggy fries. Poutine for the first minute or two after it's made, isn't all that bad. After that it's too mushy for me.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    mmmm... diner food,,, open-face roast pork and gravy sandwich with fries smothered in gravy......mmmmmm
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Okay. Had to do a little browsing to find out what poutine was. I even learned how to pronounce it - 'poo-ten' or at least that is what I heard. Sunds pretty damn good. I just wonder if there a higher rate of heart disease in Quebec that can be associated with this concoction. Anybody have a recipe for it? I'd love to make it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by SlaveToTheGrind
    Anybody have a recipe for it? I'd love to make it.
    French fries, cheese curds and gravy. Not much of a recipe

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Leave it to my cousin to let me know. I gathered that much but did not know if there was any special ingredient or regional variation that was better. Arteries, look out.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    French fries. When I lived in Picksbarg, salads came with french fries, ask Biscuit about it. The thing I don't get is Canadian's obsession with mayonoise and french fries. I know a friend who likes that as well B-).
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    The thing I don't get is Canadian's obsession with mayonoise and french fries. I know a friend who likes that as well B-).
    I've never seen anyone put mayonnaise on their fries... so maybe that's just an Eastern Canada thing. Here, they put ketchup on everything. The kids put it on macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes... you'd be surprised how many bizarre things they have ketchup on here.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Okay. I even learned how to pronounce it - 'poo-ten' or at least that is what I heard.
    I think it's more like "poo-tin". Most English Canadians pronounce it "poo-teen". Just don't say "Poo-ton" - that's slang for "slut" if I remember correctly...

It's the gravy and the quality of curds that make the poutine. Extra old Cheddar (the white stuff) is best, I think. Gravy also matters - usually a dark beef gravy, though mushroom gravy is good too.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Leave it to my cousin to let me know. I gathered that much but did not know if there was any special ingredient or regional variation that was better. Arteries, look out.
    There are variations I have only tried two of them: basic plus hamburger; basic plus hamburger and peas, preferably the smushy canned ones, one of only two situations where I will eat these. The other is with hot turkey sandwiches. Nerudite wouldn't like either of these since they tend to be quite soggy. I liked both but could only eat it occasionally.

Other variations include using spaghetti sauce instead of gravy and adding sausage. In Newfoundland, you can get fries, dressing and gravy to which some people add cheese. The dressing is a very finely ground bread stuffing with lots of summer savoury. I have had the basic fries, dressing and gravy but without the cheese.

The best poutine does not use coated french fries (I don't know if you have these in the US but they are slightly battered french fries, I find them a lot greasier that regular ones) and uses cheese curds not mozzarella cheese. The gravy is pretty specific too. I think it is a dark beef based gravy not a chicken gravy or sauce from St Hubert, a Quebec chicken restaurant, or Swiss Chalet.

So now that I am REALLY hungry for a big plate of poutine I have to make it through the rest of the day!!

Hey this is my 400th post, I am such a Cyburbia slacker obviously I have not learned well from my predecessors! At this rate I will reach the clube in 2006, maybe!!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I like my fries with cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and a side of Ranch dressing. This is a typical Oklahoma style appetizer! Also chili cheese fries are delish.
    The best fries I've had were in Ocean City MD....boardwalk fries! With malt vinegar. Yum!

How do you like YOUR fries? Or what are the best you've had?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fries.jpg  

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Quote Originally posted by Floridays

I don't even eat fries anymore.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I'll have to give Poutine a try... right after I get myself a prescription for Lipitor.

The best fries I've ever had were at Kennywood amusement park.. really, really good. As for what I like on mine, my favoritefry condiments are malt vinegar and ketchup.

Rumpy's right about the french fry habits of "Picksburghers." They put french fries on salads and sandwiches, and they come as a side with just about every other dish you order. Eating all these fries is probably why everyone in this city has such a wonderful figure.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nerudite
    I've never seen anyone put mayonnaise on their fries... so maybe that's just an Eastern Canada thing. Here, they put ketchup on everything. The kids put it on macaroni and cheese, mashed potatoes... you'd be surprised how many bizarre things they have ketchup on here.
    I thought the whole mayonnaise on fries was a Utah thing. Here it's just called fry sauce. You can get it at fast food restaraunts, usually the small town greasy burger place, and it also comes with ketchup mixed in as well. Growing up in Minnesota, I always put ketchup on my mac and cheese.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Here in New Orleans, you can get a French Fry Po'Boy - fries and gravy on french bread dressed with mayo, lettuce and tomato.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Here in New Orleans, you can get a French Fry Po'Boy - fries and gravy on french bread dressed with mayo, lettuce and tomato.
    Some refer to it as the, "Heart Attack Special."
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

I first heard of Poutine on Cyburbia. I think it was nerudite. Anyhow I was in Waterton Alberta and we were at this bar. We ordered pizzas and I saw the Poutine on the menu. I asked my dining companions and much to my surprise, they all wanted to try it. We ate every last fry. It was absolutly delicious. I would like to replicate it at home, but I fear that it won't have the same great taste.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I like my fries with cheddar cheese, bacon bits, and a side of Ranch dressing. This is a typical Oklahoma style appetizer! Also chili cheese fries are delish.
    The best fries I've had were in Ocean City MD....boardwalk fries! With malt vinegar. Yum!

Probably the best fries I've had are "Belgian" Painfully hip, and very 1999, but this place is great! http://www.frjtzfries.com/?

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by giff57
    I don't even eat fries anymore.
    Me too, because I count carbs and glycemic index.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

     
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    The mayonnaise on fries is mostly a French Canadian thing, according to a good friend of mine from Quebec City. He also told me the correct pronunciation of poutine is "poo-tsin", or at least that's the closest I could get phonetically.

No matter how you say it, it's yummy stuff.

Registered
    Feb 2003
    I wish I had some cool local hole in the wall type place to insert here, but I just cant becuase McDs are hands down the best fries I have ever f'n had PERIOD. I know it is not very planner like to say that, but it is the truth. I dip mine in their Hot Mustard Sauce mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm good..:-P

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Man, that just ain't right. All the stuff you could put (shrimp, oysters, softshell crab, sloppy roast beef or even hamburger) on a Po'boy, and someone wants fries.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Me too, because I count carbs and glycemic index.
    i love fries with ketchup, fries with malt vinegar, fries with cheese and bacon, fries smothered in chili...but i too will be giving these up for south beach (once i read the book entirely)
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Every day is gravy
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 01 Sep 2010, 2:00 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 26 Jul 2005, 4:44 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last post: 12 Jul 2004, 11:48 PM
  4. AIB - Snacks -Cheese
    Friday Afternoon Club