Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Guess the Road #3

Registered
    Nov 2002

Guess the Road #3

Yet another American highway. Bonus points for guessing the location and name of the town obscured on the sign.

This shouldn't be too hard

Suspended Bad Email Address teshadoh's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    Yet another American highway. Bonus points for guessing the location and name of the town obscured on the sign.

This shouldn't be too hard
    No it shore ain't - Yeehaw! I-85 (the best thing that came out of SC). The bridge shown is crossing the Savannah River into the state from GA. The town - I'm guessing here - is Walhalla or Seneca. Interesting tidbit about the interchange in the background. It features a parrallel lane to the freeway that allows people to exit the freeway to go to Hwy 11 (Cherokee Foothills Parkway) or to the rest stop. The highway patrol sometimes announces as you enter SC that they are holding a vehicle check stop up ahead. Of course they can't hold a stop on an interstate highway but most people don't know that. So people that are trying to get away from something will exit at Hwy 11 thinking they're pretty smart. But that is where the Hwy Patrol is making their vehicle check stop.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Well I guess that was a little too easy. teshadoh is correct. This is Interstate 85 Northbound at SC exit 1 for the Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway 11, which will take you through my old stomping grounds.

After crossing the PCB polluted Lake Hartwell (a Savannah River resevoir) drivers can take a 130 mile detour off of busy 1-85 and cruise through the SC foothills on their way through to the North Carolina state line. The problem is that many truckers use this as a way to bypass the SC weigh stations along the Interstate, and during the fall locals have the added danger that comes from the infestation of bumper riding leaf lookers with Fulton County (GA) tags.
    Last edited by biscuit; 26 Apr 2004 at 1:42 PM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Guess Where The Road Is #2
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 22 Apr 2004, 1:44 PM
  2. Guess Where The Road Is #1
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 27
    Last post: 22 Apr 2004, 12:45 PM
  3. The road to nowhere....
    Transportation Planning