Urban planning community

Poll results: Do the planning commissioners for your municipalities get paid?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 13.04%
  • No

20 86.96%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Paid planning commissioners?

Registered
    Apr 2004

Paid planning commissioners?

Do the planning commissioners in your town (or city or village or...) get a stipend? I sit on our local planning board and do more work than all the Village trustees put together and yet we don't get a penny (unlike the Trustees). And, with no planning staff, I end up doing all the same work for free that I actually get paid to do as a city planner (my real job). I know serving on the planning board is fulfilling my civic responsiblity, but I am feeling a little taken advantage of these days...

Our commission has eleven members -- three serve by virtue of their office (city council, parks board, city engineer). No money for them. All others are paid $50US each meeting. ZBA has five members -- each is paid $75US. Attendance required for pay. We have failed to get a quorum only twice since we started paying some 6 years ago.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Aug 2001
    In the 3 munis I've worked for, only one paid its pc members a stipend, and it was $10 per meeting. Thought *at the time* being, you devote 1 night a month to publuc service, we'll pay you enough to take the wife to a nice meal somewhere oce a month.

$10.

Nice meal.

*yawn*

Registered
    Aug 2001
    From my experience, it is very rare to have members of boards and commissions get any pay, although common council members usually get a stipend. The problem that you end up doing all of the work because there is no paid staff is a problem. It could also pose a conflict for you at times. Your city needs to address this, if by no other means than by contracting with a private firm to provide "on call" planning services.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Quote Originally posted by Chet
    In the 3 munis I've worked for, only one paid its pc members a stipend, and it was $10 per meeting. Thought *at the time* being, you devote 1 night a month to publuc service, we'll pay you enough to take the wife to a nice meal somewhere oce a month.

$10.

Nice meal.

*yawn*
    Now that we pay members, I am even more amused by the "THWWWWWWIP" thread
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Q. Who / What is
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    the "THWWWWWWIP" thread
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Oct 2001
    $35/ meeting.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    No pay or stipend. They don't deserve it either.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Feb 2003
    [sarcasm]Most PCs I know are paid directly by the developer.[/sarcasm]

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    $25.00 per meeting

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Never had paid members. I saw one place that did, and there was a neat little provision in the policy statement: members are paid double for special meetings, and the applicant foots the bill.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Food & Site Visit

I used to work in a place where the staff would take the Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment to lunch after a site visit. Sometimes the lunch would add up to about $20 a person. The County paid for the meal. Only problem, some of the members would drink (and I don't mean water) during lunch!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    They don't deserve it either.
    I completely concur.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Feb 2000

Statute

In reference to the Planning Commission, Kansas State Statute 12-744.(b). states that:

"Members of the commission shall serve without compensation."

They don't get paid, but I think maybe they should. That may attract better PC members or at least encurage some of them to read the staff report or visit the sites prior to the meeting.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Repo Man
    They don't get paid, but I think maybe they should. That may attract better PC members or at least encurage some of them to read the staff report or visit the sites prior to the meeting.
    Is there so little interest that this is the case? I've only been asked to serve on one commission so far in life. I'd like to be on my town's comission (I think...last time I wanted a spot on a commission, I got it and it was grueling!).
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

Quote Originally posted by GeogPlanner
    Is there so little interest that this is the case? I've only been asked to serve on one commission so far in life. I'd like to be on my town's comission (I think...last time I wanted a spot on a commission, I got it and it was grueling!).
    Oh no...there are always people willing to be on the Plan Commission. In fact one of the people who rarely goes to the site is on all kinds of boards, committees, and commissions.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 19 Mar 2010, 8:41 AM
  2. Replies: 18
    Last post: 28 Oct 2009, 3:23 PM
  3. Presentation to planning commissioners
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 17 Oct 2007, 1:28 PM
  4. Clueless planning commissioners