Urban planning community

Poll results: Do you attend planning meetings in the town you live?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I'm hardcore!

10 25.00%
  • No - I leave it at the office

10 25.00%
  • Maybe - if the issue is important enough

14 35.00%
  • The ubiquitous "other"

6 15.00%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you attend planning meetings where you live?

Registered
    Feb 2003

Do you attend planning meetings where you live?

Quote Originally posted by tsc
    I am having a public hearing in about 1/2 hour... on a new regional plan. Are some plans just so non-specific that people just don't care to comment. This is a county-wide plan and I have already been told that probably no one will come.

Is this common amongst other county planners??
    Or maybe a better question is how many people out there who are NOT county planners (or eager students) attend their county planning vision meetings (as a citizen)? This should be a poll.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by H
    Or maybe a better question is how many people out there who are NOT county planners (or eager students) attend their county planning vision meetings (as a citizen)? This should be a poll.
    I've attended all of the planning meetings in the town in which I live, as a private citizen. And I make it a point NOT to mention what I do for a living.

But are we talking about "public hearings" or "vision meetings" here? In my mind they're completely different animals. If you've reached the public hearing phase without any other opportunity for public comment, something's wrong... Are residents even aware of the new regional plan? Were they involved from the beginning?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess
    I've attended all of the planning meetings in the town in which I live, as a private citizen. And I make it a point NOT to mention what I do for a living.
    I am impressed. you are hardcore. I try to go to some, but my plate is honestly just too full to go to non-work related public meetings. Plus, many of our public meetings are during the day.

Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess
    But are we talking about "public hearings" or "vision meetings" here?
    either way, for my question. I am curious of how many go when you are not working or the next door neighbor.

I know I have now gone way off topic... mod, is there any way you could split this and make a poll??? I will say please.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by H
    either way, for my question. I am curious of how many go when you are not working or the next door neighbor.

I know I have now gone way off topic... mod, is there any way you could split this and make a poll??? I will say please.
    Doesn't look like the mod is awake yet...

tsc, I look forward to reviewing your plan. I like seeing what others have done. But I'm not in your county so I won't comment.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Actually, I'm going to a public meeting tonight in the muni. I will be moving to soon.

It's a community meeting to talk about plans to "Cap the Ike". It's an effort the muni. is undertaking to cover the 1.5 mile section of I-290 which runs through the muni.

It's going to be interesting. I generally go to meetings, as a resident, if it is an important project or directly affects me.

At work, I'm always amazed by the people that are very vocal about the impact a particular variation, site plan, etc. will have on them, but then don't show up to the meeting. Even when they have had sufficient notice.

It'll be interesting to see the resident turn-out tonight. I've talked to the planners with the muni. and they say it is a rather vocal/involved community, so that's good to hear...................or is it?
    Last edited by mendelman; 28 Apr 2004 at 11:09 AM.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

The ends can justify the means.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I do attend some of our local APA events if the topic is relevent to what our Division is reponsible for. Otherwise, I try to choose conferences/workshops within the state since travel is easier and there are so many places in FL that I've not yet seen. For example, I'm attending a FL Chamber of Commerce conference (environmental permitting) in July at Marco Island.
    My favorite national APA conference was in Seattle...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    No way. Maybe if there was a charette covering some plan that's relevant to my neighborood or municipality, but not a Board of Adjustment meeting, Planning Commission meeting or something like that.

I think only the smallest cities and towns in the US now don't televise their public hearings. I'll sometimes watch PC and BoA/variance meetings on cable, but I'm really looking at the staff presentation, and the dynamics of the board.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

I voted "The Ubiquitous Other". I have, on one occasion, attended a county planning commission meeting for the county. I live in said county, but pratice in the city, which is also where I live.

The particular issue was airport noise (at the international airport in Louisville), which was planning on changing the predominant runway they would use such that arrivals/departures would be overhead more frequently than they had been. To say it was is an understatement. I don't want to cast any stones, so I think I'll leave it at that.

(And, occasionally, a certain cargo airline with brown-tailed jets does have a 747 that I swear is just feet above my house on take-off. And it seems it is always at 4:00am )
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I would stop in on some but they are the same exact night of the month as the town I work for. It gets in the way of me potentially being on the planning board also.

A few weeks ago I got my first abutters notice as a homeowner. It was my first opportunity to be a NIMBY, but I didn't have a problem with the woman building a house with 10' less than required frontage or whatever. I think the husband died in a car accident recently too.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    I have to attend. I'm the staff person for the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Heritage Commission, Economic Development Council, Downtown Revitalization Committee, Airport Advisory Committee and of course the City Commission. There are two other ad hoc groups I regularly attend.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I don't work in the community where I live. I have only gone to one planning meeting which was a open house during the plan review. I would go to a public hearing/meeting if it affected my neighbourhood or I felt the issue affected the entire town. The community is so small, added to the fact that I have applied for a job with the town in the past, most staff and some citizens know who I am and what I do.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I live and work in the same city and county.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I live and work in the same community, though the planning for my neighbourhood is handled by another district office. There is a large development being proposed not too far away from my house, but I've looked at the plans and talked to the planner so I'm aware of what's going on.

I didn't bother with the community meeting as the NIMBYs in my 'hood piss me off.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    I have to attend. I'm the staff person for the Planning Commission, Board of Zoning Appeals, Heritage Commission, Economic Development Council, Downtown Revitalization Committee, Airport Advisory Committee and of course the City Commission. There are two other ad hoc groups I regularly attend.
    Almost Ditto. I'm staff for our town's planning board and we meet EVERY week.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I attend a fair number of meetings regarding local planning even if my agency is not involved. I also head off to APA luncheons and looking fwd to an audio conference in May...
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

No way! I can see very few circumstances where I would even consider attending a Plan Commission meeting unless it is work-related. Like Dan mentioned, I would maybe go to some charette or Master Plan input type of meeting if I felt that the City was heading in the wrong direction. I am a renter, so that may have something to do with it. They could rezone the parcel next to allow a fat rendering plant and I woudn't even show up at a meeting. I would just move. Now when I own a home, I am sure that my whole attitude will change.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Nope, not gonna do it; you can't make me do it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    I only attend if I have a subdivision on the agenda. Otherwise, no. I believe as that anonymous person put it: "When I die I hope it is at a meeting. The transition between life and death will be barely perceptible."

Registered
    Jul 2003
    I have and will continue to do so, especially regarding the N.O. City Planning Commission's efforts towards the adoption of the master plan. The CPC and the City have been criticized for the draft plan being too broad and not containing specific recommendations and plans of action (same with the 1999 Land Use Plan). That's partially due to contracting non-local consultants to draft the plan without any significant assistance or input from CPC staff planners. I, as well as other local planners, will attend future public meetings, charettes, and the subsequent public hearing to criticize the so-called master plan until it is worthy of effectively guiding the City's development and growth.
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I attended a public hearing in support of our dog park.

I have otherwise only spoken on the phone with a Vacaville planner to support a proposal to allow housing units above the first floor downtown. (The more resident people, the livelier our downtown will get). If the item ever became controversial, I would probably show up as a YIMBY "citizen activist."

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Yup, I'm there. Both live and work in the same community, so I have a vested interest in what goes on.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Feb 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    Yup, I'm there. Both live and work in the same community, so I have a vested interest in what goes on.
    Babs, I don't know about you, but I have a strong personal conviction that I should, live, shop, invest and play in the community I work for.

Quote Originally posted by Budgie
    Babs, I don't know about you, but I have a strong personal conviction that I should, live, shop, invest and play in the community I work for.
    Budgie, Plannerbabs I patronize as much as I possibly can in my own community -- but can that become a conflict of interest? Using one barbershop/salon over another for instance -- can that be seen by others as prejudicing your objectivity when some other guy that you do not patronize needs a parking variance? I really don't think I treat anyone any differently, but I wonder whether others see it as I do. Just wondering if others have thought about this.
    Je suis Charlie

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2004
    I dont live in the city that I work for. My neighborhood has a very active community council and I have attended several PC, B of A, City Council, Historic Preservation, etc. meetings.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    I get the insiders info before, and after from the staff person.
    You get what you give.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Marginalized & forced to attend useless meetings
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 03 Dec 2008, 11:51 AM
  2. Replies: 20
    Last post: 27 Nov 2007, 12:47 PM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 05 Sep 2007, 4:58 PM