Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: State of Michigan Upgrades to Hipper Muzak

Registered
    Nov 2002

State of Michigan Upgrades to Hipper Muzak

As part of the Cool Cities Initiative, people calling state offices will now hear cool 50's - 60's tunes, rather than boring muzak. How do you people deal with all the hipness?

http://www.boston.com/news/odd/artic..._back_on_hold/

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    How do you people deal with all the hipness?
    It's trying sometimes attending all the book signings, having to wear diguises in airports and other public places. Many of us Michiganders have set up our own personal shrine web sites, others have been in contact with the networks about starting our own talk shows and yet others have signed contracts with various recording labels. It IS difficult but with the help of accountants, fan clubs, make up artists, good agents and publicists we muddle through the best we can....
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 1998
    That Cool Cities initiative is starting to sound cornier and cornier each day.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!
    Quote Originally posted by Seabishop
    As part of the Cool Cities Initiative, people calling state offices will now hear cool 50's - 60's tunes, rather than boring muzak. How do you people deal with all the hipness?
    If they were smart, the state would be able to save a LOT of money in paying for labor. If they were to start playing Goth/Industrial music, they would have to field far fewer calls, thus reducing the work load. Of course, it wouldn't stop me, or probably BKM

It would definatly be more interesting to be put on hold!
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Duke Of Dystopia
    If they were to start playing Goth/Industrial music, they would have to field far fewer calls, thus reducing the work load. Of course, it wouldn't stop me, or probably BKM

It would definatly be more interesting to be put on hold!
    Well, a little bit of My Dying Bride, Emperor or Satyricon would reduce those bothersome phone calls pretty quickly

Registered
    Oct 2002
    Blog entries
    I hate to be forced to listen to musak while on hold....
    "Yeehaw!" is not a foreign policy

Renovating the '62 Metzendorf
    http://metzendorf.blogspot.com/

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    [QUOTE=Seabishop]As part of the Cool Cities Initiative, people calling state offices will now hear cool 50's - 60's tunes, rather than boring muzak. How do you people deal with all the hipness? [/url]

At a city where I used to work, the phone system controls were located in a closet accessible from my office. The music-on-hold system was an AM/FM radio, connected through the earphone jack.

Occasionally, I'd switch the station, just for kicks. I've set the music-on-hold system to ...

* A ranchero/norteno/mariachi station
    * A teenybopper Top 40 station
    * The local mullet rock station

However, I didn't get in trouble until I turned it to NPR. Why? It's LIBERAL PROPAGANDA! The radio then went back and forth between a paleo-conservative AM talker, and NPR. Good times. Good times.

Might be interesting to have that same setup in Buffalo, where you can select a French language station, a station where the Hail Mary is recited endlessly, or the output from a scanner set to Cheektowaga volunteer fire department frequencies. "Hey, Kaz, is dat der Genny Cream der colt yet der?"
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Apr 2003
    You know... it might not be as crazy as you think. When my dad started up an Oldies station back in my hometown. It took a few weeks and most of the businesses had it on their hold systems, and it quickly became one of the most popular stations to hear at businesses, restaurants, and TV info channels.

But then again, this is the state gov…. Next she will paint the capitol building a combination of bright colors, have a rope and a doorman, and change her name to Gov. Gram-diggitty-dawg
    "The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism." - George Washington

Registered
    Nov 2002
    This whole "Cool Cities" thing seems a little lame if you ask me. When you make attempts like this and have to keep telling people just how cool you are... well, chances are you aren't.
    Last edited by biscuit; 29 Apr 2004 at 1:00 PM. Reason: me no got good grammer

Registered
    Aug 1997

Wisdom from the Simpsons

Quote Originally posted by biscuit
    This whole "Cool Cities" thing seems a little lame if you ask me. When you make attempts like this and have to keep telling people just how cool you are... well, chances are you aren't.
    MARGE: I don't need someone to tell me I'm cool, and that makes me cool, right, kids?
    BART AND LISA: No.
    LISA: If nobody told you, how would you know?
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 24 May 2013, 4:46 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Mar 2007, 2:38 PM
  3. Cyburbia major upgrades
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 09 Mar 2006, 12:17 PM
  4. Replies: 7