Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Most livable states: NH #1, MS #50

Registered
    Aug 1997

Most livable states: NH #1, MS #50

Well, they've ranked the state from Most Livable to Least Livable. #1 is NH Planner's home state of New Hampshire. Mississippi was ranked last, again. Shall NH Planner and Planner Groupie debate jestes and Dragon for why their state should be #1, or not be last, as the case may be?

http://www.statestats.com/sr04mlrnk.htm
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

The #50 ranking for Mississippi was actually created by our Governor and Legislators to keep all of you yankees out of the State.

A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Louisiana....always a baby step ahead of Mississippi.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Back in SC the joke was, "What are the two things South Carolina Should be most thankful for?"

Mississippi and Alabama
    The only two places that keeps up off the bottom of every list.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Okay ... is there any positive statistic or list where Mississippi is in the top half of all states?

For several years, I lived in a state that ranked close to the bottom of many lists; income, quality of roads, and so on, and to be honest, I'd love to find myself back there again. Ohio is home now, but there's a big soft spot in my heart for New Mexico.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Ohio is home now, but there's a big soft spot in my heart for New Mexico.
    You found the land enchanting? It definaitely has some beautiful areas, but the southwestern portion of the state I don't think I will ever need to see again. I think Truth or Consequences is the best name for a town I have heard so far.

Arizona is up seven places on the list this year, right behind Florida. I wonder how aging populations figures in the list. If they use healthcare dollars, our respective populations need more healthcare.....

Okay ... is there any positive statistic or list where Mississippi is in the top half of all states?
    All kidding aside...The problem with Mississippi is that we have areas of the state that are still very much poverty stricken, such as the Mississippi Delta region in the northwest corner of the state. It is just taking a while for the more prosperous areas of the state to offset the horrible statistics that come from these areas. For example, the latest unemployment statistics show that the US has an unemployment rate of about 6%, Mississippi's is about 4.6%, the Hattiesburg MSA's rate (where Dragon and I live) is 3.1%. In contrast, Sharkey County's rate is 16.4%. Recently DeSoto County, part of the Memphis MSA was listed among the fasted growing counties in the nation with a 16% growth rate.

Speaking specifically for the area in which I live: Hattiesburg has been listed over and over again as one of America's most liveable small cities, and has recently been named as a finalist for the All America City Award. Hattiesburg is home to a public 4-year university, a private college, and a community college. We also have some of the best golf courses anywhere. In addition, we have a huge variety of cultural resources and events ranging from symphonies to theater.

As stated above, unfortunately Mississippi continues to fall behind on averages because of areas of our state that have either refused to or have been unable to catch up with the rest of the state and nation.
    A word to the wise ain't necessary. It's the stupid ones that need the advice.
    --Bill Cosby

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by ludes98
    You found the land enchanting? It definaitely has some beautiful areas, but the southwestern portion of the state I don't think I will ever need to see again.
    The Gila National Forest, in southwestern New Mexico, is a beautiful place. Lordsburg is not far south of it, and is one of the most depressing towns I have seen. If you bother to get off the interstate (I did) and counted the number of vacant buildings in the downtown (I did) you would find eight of every ten are empty. Is that because the business has all moved to the outskirts of town? No. Over half of the businesses on the edge of town are closed. Closed gas stations. Closed restaurants. Closed tire shops. (What is it with all of the tire shops in every small town in New Mexico?) Lordsburg is a ghost town waiting to happen.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Hmm, how about fewest number of yuppies?

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by jestes
    The #50 ranking for Mississippi was actually created by our Governor and Legislators to keep all of you yankees out of the State.

When I lived there we would always jokingly say exactly this. Being on the bottom of everyones list has in a wierd way been sort of an asset to people in Miss who want it to stay "southern" unlike many of other states in the south.

Mississippi is a beautiful and unique place. True, it has many unfortunate inequalities, but these have in a weird way lead to great cultural accomplishments in music, literature and the visual arts.

Show me a place where there are not inequalities.

The "Great Sovereign State" of Mississippi is on the top of my list for places I have, would, and might live again.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Louisiana....always a baby step ahead of Mississippi.
    A good friend of mine grew up in Mississippi, and he said folks in his town would always say, "at least we're not Louisiana." He went to school at UNO, where he heard people say, "at least we're not Mississippi."

It's just like Illinois-Wisconsin and Michigan-Ohio.

Registered
    Aug 1997
    Quote Originally posted by pete-rock
    It's just like Illinois-Wisconsin and Michigan-Ohio.
    Or Indiana-Kentucky, or Texas-Oklahoma.

I've lived in Arizona, but I don't remember Arizonans making "We're better than New Mexico" comments.
    JOE ILIFF

"Rarely do we find men who willingly engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Charitable giving, if I remember correctly.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 17
    Last post: 21 Mar 2012, 5:47 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last post: 20 Jan 2009, 10:21 PM
  3. Livable Centers Initiative
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 25 Nov 2008, 1:38 PM
  4. Replies: 18
    Last post: 12 Apr 2007, 9:24 PM