Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Honeymoon and Flight Time

Registered
    Jul 2002

Honeymoon and Flight Time

Well I've been outta the loop for the last couple weeks but now I'm back.

For those of you who have read the last few posts of mine in this link you all know a marriage proposal was in my future. Well it is done, I popped the question and now time to begin planning, which is why I am posting.

I am in charge of finding a place for a honeymoon and we have decided we don't want to travel more than 6 hours maybe 8 hours max.

I have done tons of searches for websites where I can find out how long it takes to fly from one place to another. All I have come up with are places like Expedia, Orbitz and other online airplane ticket purchase websites and they ask a ton of questions like date, # of persons, Time etc.. This is way to time consuming.

So is there a website similar to MapQuest only for flying? One where I can say start in Chicago and ending in Belize or the Dominican Republic or Ireland and they they spit out an average flight time.

This way I can narrow down potential destinations.

Thankd for all your help.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Congratulations on the proposal. Did the whole smuggling of the ring work out?

Unfortunately, I don't know of any websites you are looking for.
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm thinking cheapflights.com does that. I know when I was trying to figure out airfares to places I would like to study abroad in, there was a website that you didn't have to fill out information for, and I believe cheapflights.com was it.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    congratulations on the engagement!

I have used Sidestep for find flights - it is a clearinghouse type site for airfares but a quick search would give you an idea of the flight times and the approximate cost depending on the airline/time of year etc

Registered
    May 1997
    There is always the option of not flying. Maybe because I have traveled so much (soon to end for a while, after one more transcontinental drive) I cannot imagine anything less romantic than going to an airport or getting on a plane. I say find a quiet place nearby where you can focus on each other instead of on whether your luggage will get there.

PS: Congratulations!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I am with Lee, you are going to be so tired-no EXHAUSTED from the wedding and stress all you will want is sleep. Find somewhere resonably close and have a few days together to rest up and just enjoy without the added stress of travel. Plan a trip for a few months later when you can truly enjoy.

Congrats and best wishes to you and the wife to be!

PS um has anyone told you dont expect the um...act that night? hehe your gonna be pretty tired
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by PlannerGirl
    I am with Lee, you are going to be so tired-no EXHAUSTED from the wedding and stress all you will want is sleep. Find somewhere resonably close and have a few days together to rest up and just enjoy without the added stress of travel. Plan a trip for a few months later when you can truly enjoy.
    If you're going to fly, maybe wait a day to recover first. We stayed overnight at a fancy hotel the day after the wedding before taking off on the honeymoon (and we took a train instead of flying).

Quote Originally posted by Plannergirl
    PS um has anyone told you dont expect the um...act that night? hehe your gonna be pretty tired
    Not true. Where there's will there's a way

And congrats PBD!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Rumpy Tunanator
    Congratulations on the proposal. Did the whole smuggling of the ring work out?

Unfortunately, I don't know of any websites you are looking for.

I got the ring throught security just fine. After I popped the question she told me that if I did ask her on the first or second night on vacation she didn't think it was gonna happen. And boy was she suprised. We really enjoyed the rest of the vacation and future married folks.

Quote Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    There is always the option of not flying. Maybe because I have traveled so much (soon to end for a while, after one more transcontinental drive) I cannot imagine anything less romantic than going to an airport or getting on a plane. I say find a quiet place nearby where you can focus on each other instead of on whether your luggage will get there.

PS: Congratulations!
    Not a bad idea, we were considering some destinations closer to home but don't want to rule out some "far" away place neither of us have been.

WHAT ?? No nookie on the big day, to tired??

Actually, yeah I've heard it before. If it happens, it happens, if it don't, it don't. Although, I'm gonna keep my hopes up and hope for the best.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Lol the night of my wedding I went to the bathroom to get all done up and i come back and hes SNORING!

Course helps if you dont have your last big night out the night BEFORE the wedding

lol ohh now a train that sounds romantic!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Congrats on the engagement PBD! Now the "fun" of planning the wedding begins. My best advise to you is to just grin, nod and say ,"That's a great idea," everytime she asks your opinion about something.

This is what we are intending to do. Between the wedding itself and getting settled into a new place, we realize that there's no time or energy to waste on a trip right away. If we go anywhere it will probably be to stay a couple of nights at someplace within a four hour drive or so. We then intend to go on a big vacation sometime in the next few months so we can have the time to enjoy it.

It's killing my Mom that I won't be taking the future Mrs. Biscuit on an immediate honeymoon "It's just the proper thing to do, she says" I don't know what she expects but I get only so many vacation days and I'd rather use them for a trip to Spain than a week at Niagra Falls. And besides, the old time significance of the honeymoon went out the window years ago for us.

Registered
    Dec 1998
    Congrats PBD!

BEK and I are more or less planning to do the same thing with our honeymoon, short trip after the wedding, blowout honeymoon some time down the line.
    "A witty woman is a treasure, a witty beauty is a power!"

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Cyburbias Brewpub, best seat in the haus!

Weding & Marriage history lesson

Interesting info on origins of some things. Congrads and good luck!

The Best Man

The Best Man in weddings originated with the Germanic Goths. Around 200 C.E. it was customary for a man to marry a woman who lived in his town or village. But if there was a shortage of women then the man would take a trip to a nearby village and "steal" a wife. The person he would most likely take along for this would, of course, be his best friend, i.e. the Best Man. During the marriage ceremony the Best Man remained at the side of the groom, armed in case the bride's family had ideas of trying to take her back by force. [Back]

The Honeymoon

The Honeymoon has two sources. In Germanic and Scandinavian lands when a groom was forced to abduct his bride they would have to hide out for a time until the brides family tired of looking for her and returned home. The second source was the tradition that the bride and groom would share a cup of honey mead every day for the first month. Hence the honey part of the name. The moon portion of the name comes from the moon which is the origin of the word month.

Carrying the Bride Over the Threshold

Carrying the Bride Over the Threshold originated as a symbolic act for the above mentioned abducting a bride from which "The Best Man" tradition originated.

Stork Bringing a Baby

This tradition started in Scandinavia. Mothers would tell their young that the new baby was brought by the stork and to explain why the new mother needed rest they said that the stork bit the mother on the leg while there. The reason that the stork was used aside from it's common nesting place in people's chimneys was that they stork was so affectionate to it's parents that it took care of them in their old age and the long living birds (70 years) mate for life. [Back]
    I can't deliver UTOPIA, but I can create a HELL for you to LIVE in :)DoD:(

Registered
    Dec 2001
    CONGRATS!

For honeymoons applevacations.com gets high ratings. I think if we go the the Dominican we'll book through them. Take a day off between the wedding and honeymoon for sure, you need to come down from the wedding high before going anywhere. Plus, there is actually a lot to get in order right around then and the last thing you want to do is forget important things.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Miami Airport

Remember, if you go through Miami:
    Keep your wallet in your mouth in the Miami Airport, its the only way to make sure it isn't taken!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Congrats! I may be no expert on the whole marriage thing, but I think she'd enjoy a visit to Detroit to get a first-hand look at urban decay, or NO VA to check out the New Urbanist developments, or maybe see the low-impact stormwater BMP's in the Chesapeake Basin, etc.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Congrats!! I agree with the others, take a day or so off between the big day and the trip, or save the honeymoon for later and just have a nice quiet long weekend first. That's pretty much what we did, and that way, you still have something to look forward to after all of the wedding excitement has died down.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Congrats! I may be no expert on the whole marriage thing, but I think she'd enjoy a visit to Detroit to get a first-hand look at urban decay, or NO VA to check out the New Urbanist developments, or maybe see the low-impact stormwater BMP's in the Chesapeake Basin, etc.
    Yeah, and I could take lots of pictures and write it off as an educational bussiness expense.

Thanks everyone for all of your kind word and suggestions.

Registered
    Nov 2003
    Congrats! on the engagement. I will be married in exactly 14 weeks and counting... The future Mrs. ...Star and I are going to Jamaica for a 'wedding-moon'. We're getting an all-inclusive package which includes airfare, lodging, food and shuttles between resorts and the airport. Check out www.beaches.com or www.sandals.com It's the only way to go to the Carribbean in my book.
    I am recognizing that the voice inside my head
    is urging me to be myself but never follow someone else
    Because opinions are like voices we all have a different kind". --Q-Tip

Registered
    Jun 2002
    We did an Apple Vacations package to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. It was great!!! (I loved Cabo) I used a travel agent I know to book the package. I don't know if you can use the net to find/book an Apple package.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Planderella
    Congrats PBD!

BEK and I are more or less planning to do the same thing with our honeymoon, short trip after the wedding, blowout honeymoon some time down the line.

Best wishes PBD! That's definitely our plan. :-}
    A person who strives is one who thrives. It's GREAT to be THE KING!!!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Congratulations, I'm glad airport security didn't ruin your plans. We did the Tranplanner method of staying at a local hotel the first night before flying out. It was my first time flying so I thought it was fun.

Are you limiting invitations to Clube members or just Double Clube members?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Congrads! I think that when JNL is here, her and I will have to meet the soon to be Mrs. Planner by Day!

By the way, what are you, and now her, at night?
    "A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. Time makes more converts than reason." - Thomas Paine Common Sense.

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Congratulations!!

We went on a cruise for our honeymoon. It left on a Saturday, so we had to wait a week before leaving. It was seriously the best thing we could have done. We were so exhausted after the wedding, we needed a few days to recover.

Oh, and you guys keep me posted on the MI laefest - I am only about 50 minutes from Kzoo.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Dandy's Honeymoon Thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 37
    Last post: 20 Apr 2011, 1:28 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 08 May 2006, 3:36 PM
  3. Urban Flight
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 22 Apr 2006, 12:57 AM