Urban planning community

Poll results: What should I do?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Over the Counter when it gets bad

2 7.41%
  • Go see an allergist and be on meds

11 40.74%
  • Be a Man and deal with it… (and look stoned most the time)

10 37.04%
  • Other (explain)

4 14.81%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: My eyes are falling out!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.

My eyes are falling out!

Ahhhhh. Flowers and Trees and Pollen everywhere. I have never had too much of a problem with Allergies, but for some reason in the past week, it has beat me down. I am not much for doctors, but I am for feeling better. What do you think I should do.

Right now, I took one 24-hour (over the counter) Claritin D and eye drops.

It has been recommend that I go to see an allergist mainly because of the dramatic diversity of plant material, and things to be allergic to.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Jul 2002
    A lot of us can probably relate to those red eyes and sinus headaches, etc. I use Clariton when it gets bad but I have to use eyedrops every day...I have found that Bausch & Lomb Opcon-A drops work great! If the over the counter stuff isn't cutting it, you'll probably need a script from an M.D.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I said "be a man".. but I'm only messing with you. Go get some allergy medication and some good eye drops.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    A RED WINGS fan that is crying..... I like the sound of that....
    Good luck getting your meds.

By the way, Looks like the Avs. won't make it to the next level

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I would go to an allergist, but if the Claritin is not working for you, there may not be much else that can help.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003
    My allergies flared up this week, especially the eyes. I gave up on Claritin a couple years ago, because it wasn't working consistently for me. Sometimes it helped, sometimes it didn't. So I toughed it out like I had last year, until I sneezed several times in front of a class the other day (which the students found entertaining--7th graders are easily amused little devils), and later a student said my red eyes made me look high. Now, Visine eye-drops are working for me (though I love the safety warning: "Accidental swallowing by infants and children may lead to coma and marked reductions in body temperature." Nothing I have to worry about, but still...) If the Claritin isn't helping after taking it for 3 or 4 days, I'd say go to the doctor.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    You can join in the "muslim"-looking tradition that I engage in of kneeling on the floor with my forehead flat on a rug ... and squirting saline solution up my nose to physically wash away the coating of pollen on a daily basis. If you have ever heard of a "netti pot", washing the sinuses is a very old tradition (in yoga, I guess) and non-drug and highly effective.

What I do is described in detail here: http://califmichele.com/saline.html

Registered
    Oct 2001
    I voted "take it like a man" because (as my earlier post indicated), I am pretty skeptical-for me-about the effectiveness of the drugs on the market. I would agree with Michelle-or at a minimum, take lots of showers and wash your face to reduce the pollen accumulation.

My biggest problem right now is none of the ancillary symptoms but asthma. I have that good ol' tight chest feeling a lot now. I hate albuterol

OH well, a pretty trivial problem compared to some.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    Well, I took Claritin D for two days.. (Fri and Sat) well I also learned that 3 glasses of wine and two beers is not a good thing (even if they are over a 7 hour time frame). Sunday Morning, I thought I was going to die. Not because of a hangover, but because of being severely dehydrated. But you know what, it cleared up my head, and my eyes today remain the correct color with the help of eye drops!

*I also know your deal with Asthma... I was hospitalized for a week when I was in HS... now I make sure I keep it under control. But I rather deal with Allergies than Asthma.
    Not my monkey, not my circus. - Old Polish Proverb

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    If you have ever heard of a "netti pot", washing the sinuses is a very old tradition (in yoga, I guess) and non-drug and highly effective.
    Get thee to the allergist! But I've also heard very good things about the netti pot for allergies. and take a shower every night before you go to bed to rinse the pollen off.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    I don't deal with allergies, so I can't offer any advise.

But you could make this as an excuse to not have to do counter duty.

They shouldn't want the public to see yu like this.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Let's not be didactic in this profession, because that is a path to disillusion and irrelevancy.

Six seasons and a movie!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 22 Oct 2011, 9:53 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 23 Sep 2011, 9:47 PM
  3. Apples Falling From Trees
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 15 Jun 2009, 5:56 PM
  4. TIF and falling property values