Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

Thread: Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    Makes me wonder if it is some kind of leftover from chemo, the way some kinds of chemo can leave a person with numbness in the fingers.
    Neuropathy would not make you turn white, its nerves.. might be vascular?

Whoops.. I think I'm letting the years of hospital work surface again.... help!
    We hope for better things; it will arise from the ashes - Fr Gabriel Richard 1805

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by DetroitPlanner
    Neuropathy would not make you turn white, its nerves.. might be vascular?

Whoops.. I think I'm letting the years of hospital work surface again.... help!
    I wasn't suggesting it was caused by neuropathy, just wondering if the chemo was related. There can be damage to the extremities which does not affect other parts of the body.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Grin & Bear It

As mentioned in this thread, about a half year ago, this Bear had to have a number of teeth removed. The excessive chemo treatments had pretty much wrecked some teeth so they had to go "bye bye".

The dentist gave me partial plates (upper and lower) that were considered "temporary". I was to use them for about six (6) months, as the bone matter in the area of the pulled teeth healed and moved and adjusted to all of the changes cause by the removal of teeth.

Now I am in the process of getting fitted for the permanent partials. I will be glad, because the temporaries are bulky.....like having a big plastic coffee cup lid in your mouth. The perms are a lot less bulky.

This needed to happen soon because if I "clicked and clacked" my partial one (1) more time Katie was going to run me over with her car.....and if I was still wiggling, run me over a second and third time.

I should have the new "toofees" this week.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Back To Michigan

Next Tuesday, Katie and I will drive up to the University of Michigan's Cancer Center. This Bear gets to go through some interviews, examinations, blood tests, etc. First time back in a year.

I am assuming that they will pronounce me "good to go" or some such thing.

Remember.....bone marrow stem cell transplant recipients are the world's very first "rejuvenated" generation. Yes!

(Can Helen Reddy change the words? )

Hear Bear Roar
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003

My sister's cancer treatments ended several months earlier than expected because she was doing so well and also didn't test positive for a cancer gene -- which is Good News for me personally since my sister, mother, maternal grandmother and several aunts have had either breast or uterine cancer, so the assumption has previously been that we probably had the gene for it. But this casts doubt on that assumption.

Of course, I had already planned on not getting breast or uterine cancer. I have already been through medical hell, thanks. Don't sign me up for another ride like that.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    Next Tuesday, Katie and I will drive up to the University of Michigan's Cancer Center. This Bear gets to go through some interviews, examinations, blood tests, etc. First time back in a year.

I am assuming that they will pronounce me "good to go" or some such thing.
    Good luck on the test results Bear!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2003

Dang

Dang nab it.....

Spent Tuesday at the University of Michigan Cancer Center's Bone Marrow Transplant Unit. The testing and discussion did not go as well as I hoped. The recent CAT-Scan showed a possible "issue". So, the next step is to undergo another PET Scan. This Bear has done three (3) PET Scans in the last five (5) years. I certainly know the routine.

The advantage to the PET Scan is they will be able to isolate specific problem areas and see what is going on. My past experiences with this scan were helpful, inasmuch as the process showed the cancer problems and we were able to make an early decision on a bone marrow transplant.

Because the CAT Scans are not so detailed, this "issue" could end up being nothing at all. Of course, that's what we hope for. (Doctors also told us that even if it shows nothing, they want additional PET Scans at specific intervals in the next two years.)
    _____

My story is not so sad, though. What is sad are the number of children and young teens that we watched moving through the center yesterday. These kids had all of the plumbing hooked to them, wearing face masks, bald, a sad look in their parents eyes (as they tried very hard to show "strength" to their children). One (1) boy needed help walking because he was so weak. Brought tears to our eyes......reality checks.

I strongly urge all readers of this thread to spend an hour or two (2) at a Children's Hospital or Cancer Center. Your big problems will seem like tiny issues. My problems seem as such.
    _____

I am off work today.....not feeling very well. The day at the center finished with this ole' Bear getting five (5) childhood immunization shots. Remember, a bone marrow stem cell transplant kills all the existing bone marrow. Actually, the high-dose chemotherapy they give you prior-to a BMSCT does the killing. All childhood vaccinations go away with this process, so to protect me, they re-do the immunizations. They have to do another set of five (5) in two (2) months.

They indicated that many adults don't fell good for a day or two (2) after this barrage of shots. Color me normal and in that group. Haven't thrown-up, but I feel a bit woosy (sic?).
    _____

On-Topic: A woman who works with Katie gave birth on Monday night. The baby immediately had to have surgery, stomach & esophagus related.....and the baby was born with brain issues and only two (2) fingers on one (1) hand. Sad.

Bear, Counting His Blessings
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

PET Scan

This Bear just had the latest PET Scan. I believe that PET stands for Positron Emission Tomography. I did the scan on Monday morning, 6-5-06. Should have results in a week or so. I am scheduled to see my oncology doctor in a couple weeks so my guess is that I get the news.....crossing-fingers that news is "good".....at that visit.

Later this month I get to get stung with another complete batch of childhood immunizations. Oh, goodie.

Bear Fighting Off The Big C
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003

My sister's cancer treatments ended several months earlier than expected because she was doing so well
    I wasn't planning on updating this, in part because I didn't remember updating it the last time. But, since Bear inadvertently brought this to my attention again, I feel kind of obligated to "set the record straight": A week or so ago, my sister got the news that her cancer was back.

Registered
    May 2003
    I wasn't planning on updating this, in part because I didn't remember updating it the last time. But, since Bear inadvertently brought this to my attention again, I feel kind of obligated to "set the record straight": A week or so ago, my sister got the news that her cancer was back.

Oh, I am so sorry to hear that, MZ. It is sad (but true) that cancer comes back, even after lots of treatment, in so many good people. My best wishes to her and hopes for her recovery.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003

Oh Oh

This Bear had the PET Scan on Monday of this week. On Wednesday, my Oncology doctor gave me a call and said to get into his office pronto. Today, the next day, we slid into the doc's office. He received a call from the University of Michigan's Cancer Center, indicating that they now had a copy of Monday's scan.

Here's the "oh oh" part. The lymph nodes in my groin are showing activity that is consistent with Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

Next week I go in to talk to the surgeon about a lymph node biopsy. And, to make matters even worse.....think about where that SHARP KNIFE will be! Argh!

Nothing is known for sure, but indications are that the bone marrow stem cell transplant was not a success. I have had no obvious symptoms....no night sweats, shivers, fevers. The biopsy will tell the docs whether or not Hodgkins is back in my lymph nodes. If it is, not sure what the next step will be.

One step at a time.

PS.....A PET Scan will also show internal body infections. It could be something like that.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Bear, I am hoping for the absolute very best for you. I hope things are different than you and the Docs might think.

We'll be sending good thoughts out to you.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Best of luck to you Bear. I hope the biopsy turns out to be all for nothing.

One thing I would suggest to every Cyburbian who is following this thread is to find someway to get tested and have your name placed on the national bone marrow donor list. I'm sure BUN and others out there would really appreciate it.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    A little bit of good news for my sister: The nurse made a jillion calls and pushed through the insurance approval several days sooner than expected. Her cancer is so agressive that every day delayed is a problem.

Crossing my fingers for you Bear.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Ah, Bear, we'll all be thinking about you. Please keep us posted.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    You're not getting out of me kicking your a$$ in one-on-one.

[Bill Walton voice] "RJ goes inside and muscles one over the Bear for two!!! [/Bill Walton voice]
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Best wishes mate.

Keep your spirit up Bear and the very best to you!

I just drove my pop's to L.A. for a visit to the nuclear medicine doctor. Look's like radiation treatment in a couple of week's.

Registered
    May 2003

Update City, USA

My lymph node biopsy is still scheduled for Wednesday, 6-28-06. The doc will have his knife in my groin area, cutting out one of the enlarged (lumpy) nodes. Hope he doesn't slip, or there will be a new woman going to Stanfest.

Complication, though.....

For the last five days I have had what appears to be a severe throat or upper respiratory infection. It hurts when I walk and it hurts when a lay down. It was really painful last night and because of my planned surgery I have not been able to take ibuprofen for the 10 days prior-to the surgery.

We called the pharmacist last night and asked if I could take Tylenol. The answer was YES so I was ready to dance in the street. In a 4-hour span I took 4 of those puppies and this morning I feel a little better. My 102 temp fever broke over night. Heading to the doctor this morning to determine what I have going on in my throat and whether or not I can go through with the surgery tomorrow.

Over the phone, the doc thought it might be strepthroat.....a common occurence for somebody with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I hope it is just an infection that can be whipped by some drugs.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    You're in my prayers, Bear.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    good luck tomorrow. i'll be sending good thoughts your way!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Good luck tomorrow Bear. Hoping for the best for you.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Good luck, Bear. I'm praying for the best possible outcome.

Including all external body parts intact.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    You know we're all pulling for you Bear (oh, get your mind out of the gutter, we're not pulling for you like that!!! Well, some in Michigan are....)
    RJ is the KING of . The One

Registered
    Sep 1999
    RJ is so sensitive.. ^^
    Good luck, Bear!

+ Reply to thread
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2 11 12 13 22 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bottled Water Reality Check
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Jul 2012, 6:11 PM