Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    I literally just came back to the office from having some cysts looked at (in the girls, yes) and "they appear to be benign"...
    Glad to hear they are benign! {{lp}}

Quote Originally posted by Salmissra View post
    Congrats on the clean bill of health!

My sister just got out of the hospital for the same thing - in her hip. She couldn't walk, etc without the fear of the clot dislodging and traveling. One week out, and she is doing better. Blood thinners, pain meds, and my mother doing all her housework for a while helps. Actually, her first post-hospital visit, they cut back her blood thinners because she was more than twice as "thin" as recommended (norm is about a 3, she was over 7). She took herself to the emergency room, and they were shocked that her travelingfor the holidays hadn't dislodged it already.
    My thoughts are with your sister. For me it was kinda a surreal experience because I thought I was fine and the next thing I knew I was in the hospital and being told I was lucky to be alive.

I ended up having to go for almost weekly lab work to check my levels. Some people stay fairly constant, mine wavered but I'm pretty sure that was because I kept eating my green leafy veggies (vitamin k).
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Not good.

My carotid artery is very narrow, due to blockage. Going to the Vascular Surgeon on Monday to discuss "next step". Doc wants to see me Tuesday for another issue, relating to the Tilt-Table Test I took last week.

At this point I could say "Life sucks."

However, a life that sucks is much better than no life at all. Anybody wanna buy a huge fake city?

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    ...where's RJ or The One when I need them?
    Praise the Lard, your twin towers are safe!! Do they need some form of special attention at this point? ( < because we don't have a boobie smilie)

ZG had a cyst lanced today. I almost lost my appetite when she described the procedure to me when I got home.
    No grabbing at the girls tonight.

I have a blood blister on the tip of my right big toe after stumbling out of the hot tub last night. It's throbbing.
    Last edited by Richmond Jake; 21 Jan 2010 at 8:19 PM. Reason: big toe hurts

Registered
    Mar 2002
    BUN hang in there. My father had blocked arteries and they did a roto-rooter on him and he's fine. Wait to see what the vascular surgeon says. I'm sure there are options.

Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    Do they need some form of special attention at this point? (
    I think this something for all cyburbians to gather 'round and give "support." Perhaps we could meet for an itt-fest?
    Last edited by Gedunker; 22 Jan 2010 at 8:17 AM. Reason: seq. posts

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    I think this something for all cyburbians to gather 'round and give "support." Perhaps we could meet for an itt-fest?
    I think Otis has come onto something very special that we can all get on top of. This should become a global effort.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    ^^^ Maybe, but it also was an insensitive and crude thing to say. I am deeply sorry for having said it. lp, please accept my apology and know that I want the best for you and truly send you my heartfelt hope that all turns out OK.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    are you kidding, I needed a laugh - it was just a weird day, I went from OMG something's wrong to "they look ok" (how does that happen) and then back to the ruins of the day

I was pointing (no pun intended) to people like Bear who live with illness, disease and/or chronic condition but still have to focus on work and family and life and my little (not a pun) day of a scare just hit me in empathy for them/him

Bear - thinking of you certainly today!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Well, then OK. Let's all meet for the fest. I suggest we meet in RJ's town. But, wait, we can't! From the news I gather that he's banned this sort of thing. Poor planning, RJ.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    My coworker and friend was just diagnosed with uterine cancer. She's going in for a complete removal and then any radiation treatment that may be needed.

She just turned 40. I'm in shock.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jul 2006
    My MIL went to the hospital with breathing difficulties. Scan showed a large mass interfering with lung expansion. Had biopsy late yesterday. Waiting on results. I foresee Mrs.ofos taking a trip to SoCal.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    Not good.

My carotid artery is very narrow, due to blockage. Going to the Vascular Surgeon on Monday to discuss "next step". Doc wants to see me Tuesday for another issue, relating to the Tilt-Table Test I took last week.

At this point I could say "Life sucks."

However, a life that sucks is much better than no life at all. Anybody wanna buy a huge fake city?

Bear

Bear--I had a heat attack a few years ago, I survived. They just fitted me with a couple of stints that open up my artery and I'm fine now. The operation to put in the stints is really nothing, you are awake and feel nothing. The worst part is that you have to lay flat on your back for about 3 hours after its over while the hole in your leg gets filled in. Its a small hole, about the size of a quarter, they put a plug in it.
    Getting old really sucks but at least we're still around to cause some trouble now and then, Good luck.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Mrs. ofos went to CA yesterday to be with her mother who was undergoing a biopsy today. Worst fears confirmed, it's C. Radiation is recommended to shrink the tumor to improve breathing but doctor says she doesn't have much time left. She's 75.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    Mrs. ofos went to CA yesterday to be with her mother who was undergoing a biopsy today. Worst fears confirmed, it's C. Radiation is recommended to shrink the tumor to improve breathing but doctor says she doesn't have much time left. She's 75.
    Sorry to hear that. Support from family members and/or friends is helpful....essential.....in dealing with serious disease.

Best wishes, given the circumstances.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Through Facebook over a three day period, I just witnessed a friend's rowdy and happy 50th birthday party, the sudden illness of his 17 year old son, the modest concern and inconvenience of him needing gall bladder surgery, a diagnosis of cancer, and death.

RIP Keegan.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by ofos View post
    My thoughts are with you and Mrs. Ofos.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jun 2007
    My 73-year-old father-in-law has been admitted an Oklahoma hospital for congestive heart failure related to having liquid buildup in his lungs (from a 2-week bout with pneumonia and strep throat). My wife is extremely distraught, and we are leaving Austin shortly to be there this weekend. I actually think my wife is in worse shape than my father-in-law, because the hospital let my father-in-law drive back home to pick up my mother-in-law and then come back to the hospital (if it was too serious, I doubt the medical staff would have allowed this). My wife, on the other hand, does not have any sense on how to cope with mortality within her family, and it's a topic that her family avoids like the plague despite her parents' health problems and ages.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by TexanOkie View post
    ... My wife, on the other hand, does not have any sense on how to cope with mortality within her family, and it's a topic that her family avoids like the plague despite her parents' health problems and ages.
    My thoughts are with you. I'm sure you're a great support for her, coming from a family that handles the subject like that. She surely needs it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Not good news for me -

NY Times Headline: Controversial Diabetes Drug Harms Heart, U.S. Concludes
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/he...20avandia.html

The reports, obtained by The New York Times, say that if every diabetic now taking Avandia were instead given a similar pill named Actos, about 500 heart attacks and 300 cases of heart failure would be averted every month because Avandia can hurt the heart
    I have been taking it for several years now, including when it was also combined as avandiament.
    Continuation of the issue I posted in http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...&postcount=365
    Last edited by JNA; 20 Feb 2010 at 9:15 AM.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Not good news for me -

NY Times Headline: Controversial Diabetes Drug Harms Heart, U.S. Concludes
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/20/he...20avandia.html

I have been taking it for several years now, including when it was also combined as avandiament.
    Continuation of the issue I posted in http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showp...&postcount=365
    Make sure you get checked out by your cardiologist. I had inquired about a possible change in diabetes meds and my doctor said he was leery of the potential side effects of the newer drugs and thankfully left me on metformin xr and just tweaked the dosage. I
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Tresmo View post
    My thoughts are with you. I'm sure you're a great support for her, coming from a family that handles the subject like that. She surely needs it.
    I didn't mean for that to sound as callous as it reads...

While I am the more left-brain person in the relationship, I do do my best to support her emotionally in times like this.

Registered
    May 2003

Update

Been awhile since an update. I have some issues that have yet to be determined and solved. "Enjoyed" some tests on Monday of this week and I go for another on Monday next week. I continue to lose weight, but the pound shed has slowed way down. It had been 3-5 pounds every couple weeks, now it is a pound or two every month or so.

I still keep seeing double (a few times a week) and get dizzy (a few times a week). I have occasional bone pain, about pain level 3, so not a killer. But having bone pain worries me. Hope they can solve all of this. When I slid out of the U of M Hospital after my bone marrow transplant I was hoping to be able to bug Cyburbians for years. (It has been 5 years. )

One of my employees (65 year male) lost almost 100 pounds, without trying. He is now going through tests at U of M Hospital. It is probably lymphoma, same as me. Nice guy. I am worried for him.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Well, it's never good hearing that one of your favorite rock singers had a brain hemmorhage...Bret Michaels. I hear he's in critical condition. I hope he recovers and gets well again. Through following his career with Poison and seeing him on Celebrity Apprentice, he seems like a real friendly, down-to-earth guy. He's already had to deal with a lot...Diabetes, his daughter getting Diabetes, appendicitis. I hope he comes out of this OK.

One of my friends has been suffering from an eating disorder. It is something my friends and I have noticed all year-long. I'm not as close to her as some other friends, but it's been sad being on the sidelines and not knowing how to help. You tell her she needs to eat more, she shouldn't be losing weight like this, etc., but you just can't get through. She wound up in the hospital when her heart-rate dropped to the 30s. I guess she's been eating now and has recovered rather rapidly, and I hope her family sees that she really needs help now if they didn't know already. My friends and I went and saw her at the hospital and she seems to be doing well. But it's crazy to think that if she didn't get help, she could have died pretty soon. She's a hard-worker and has a bright future, so I really hope she gets herself back so she can realize her potential.

My GF had to go in for a series of tests relating to her heart. She was experiencing chest pains and a rapdily beating heart every morning. It's likely stress-related. But it was pretty worrisome nonetheless. Being healthy and in your 20s, you shouldn't have to worry about stuff like that.

I just noticed I have a small lump on my left forearm and a swollen lymph node in my neck. I probably should look into that. It's probably nothing, but you never know. It's scary to think that no matter what your age, you could be gone before you know it.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Good Blood Lab Numbers -
    A1C - 6.8
    Cholesterol - 123 - however I am on Lipitor, control my eating (NO dairy), & exercise.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Asthma attack brought on by a mix of having a cold, allergies, and warm humid weather on Saturday. Few hours spent wasting away in the ER on Sunday morning. Full insurance coming soon so I can get all sorted out.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by illinoisplanner View post
    I just noticed I have a small lump on my left forearm and a swollen lymph node in my neck. I probably should look into that. It's probably nothing, but you never know. It's scary to think that no matter what your age, you could be gone before you know it.
    Get that swollen node checked. Back in 1996 was when I noticed the same thing. The doc said, "Let's take it out and see, but it is probably nothing." It was something......and that something led to months of radiation, many turns with high-dose chemo, and the bone marrow transplant. GET IT CHECKED !!!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

+ Reply to thread
Page 20 of 35 FirstFirst ... 10 19 20 21 30 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bottled Water Reality Check
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Jul 2012, 6:11 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Dec 2009, 10:29 AM
  3. Replies: 22