C-free!!!
    Thats cool B_bum!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by beach_bum View post
    C-free!!!
    That is good news.
    Remember the cyclical follow up testing.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Congrats to both beach_bum and KJ on hearing some good news!
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Great news beach bum! I have my follow up visit with the surgeon on 3/2. Hopefully pathology results will be back then. Still taking it easy, finally able to function better part of the day without painkillers
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Super congrats for beach bum! You have to be dancing in the streets!
    _____

kj......this Bear is in your corner, continue to hang in there!

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Finally heard back today after some apparent nurse drama at my Drs office. C-free!!!
    Great news BB.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Thanks all for the well wishes. It feels great not to have to worry about it anymore. Going up for my next follow up in April to stay on top of things.

Glad you are feeling better KJ...its amazing how much better you feel after the bad cells are gone
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Thanks all for the well wishes. It feels great not to have to worry about it anymore. Going up for my next follow up in April to stay on top of things.

Glad you are feeling better KJ...its amazing how much better you feel after the bad cells are gone
    Glad to hear it. Hope everything is good on the health front now and in the future
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    Great news beach_bum! Glad you are alright!
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Happy dances for beach bum and kj!

Registered
    May 2003

Cancer News

As you probably know, this Bear is a cancer survivor. Diagnosed in 1996, I have "enjoyed" extensive radiation treatments, long affairs with chemotherapy, and even a bone marrow stem cell transplant. All of this technology and treatment saved my life.

So I can continue to bug you folks.

Carry on. (And check out the link.)

Bear

http://www.suntimes.com/4241629-417/...-to-12-million
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Good Blood Lab Numbers -
    A1C - 6.8
    Cholesterol - 120 - however I am on Lipitor, control my eating (NO dairy), & exercise.

Essentially the same numbers since Aug 09.
    Oddball

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post
    As you probably know, this Bear is a cancer survivor. Diagnosed in 1996, I have "enjoyed" extensive radiation treatments, long affairs with chemotherapy, and even a bone marrow stem cell transplant. All of this technology and treatment saved my life.

Bear

I'm a recent inductee to the survivor's club too. Fortunately I didn't have to endure chemo or radiation. My new "birthday" is Valentine's Day. I'm glad you are still free and clear of the Big C.

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Good Blood Lab Numbers -
    A1C - 6.8
    Cholesterol - 120 - however I am on Lipitor, control my eating (NO dairy), & exercise.

Essentially the same numbers since Aug 09.

Way to go! Keep up the good work
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    May 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North View post

Bear

I'm actually quite surprised at that number. I would have thought there would be many more than that.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Earlier this week I posted in RTDNTOTO about a former coworker who was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. Today she sent some of us a bit more information - after some more tests it turns out she has stage IV pancreatic cancer that has migrated to her lungs and her liver.

Apparently, she was feeling fine up until the start of May or so at first she didn't think anything of it (she thought maybe she had gotten a flu or something) and after a few days she decided to go to the doctor but still put it off because she was about to graduate from nursing school and just wanted to get that out of the way.

It amazes me that a disease and prognosis so vicious can just sneak up on somebody so quickly with no outward symptoms. She has two young children (I think one is a freshman and the other may be in the 6th or 7th grade) and the scariest part to me is how this could impact them - maybe that's just the parent in me worrying about my daughter?

In the end, something like this, happening to somebody I know, even if it's somebody I don't see on a daily basis anymore really, and I mean REALLY!, makes my problems seem so trivial. I cannot wait to get home tonight to hug my wife and daughter.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Feb 2002
    I just now got caught up on what kjelsadek and beach_bum have went through, glad things are going well. How very scary.

Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    In the end, something like this, happening to somebody I know, even if it's somebody I don't see on a daily basis anymore really, and I mean REALLY!, makes my problems seem so trivial. I cannot wait to get home tonight to hug my wife and daughter.
    That is ver sad, and I agree that, as well as other stories here really puts things into perspective

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Earlier this week I posted in RTDNTOTO about a former coworker who was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. Today she sent some of us a bit more information - after some more tests it turns out she has stage IV pancreatic cancer that has migrated to her lungs and her liver.

Apparently, she was feeling fine up until the start of May or so at first she didn't think anything of it (she thought maybe she had gotten a flu or something) and after a few days she decided to go to the doctor but still put it off because she was about to graduate from nursing school and just wanted to get that out of the way.

It amazes me that a disease and prognosis so vicious can just sneak up on somebody so quickly with no outward symptoms. She has two young children (I think one is a freshman and the other may be in the 6th or 7th grade) and the scariest part to me is how this could impact them - maybe that's just the parent in me worrying about my daughter?

I am so sorry to hear this. Pancreatic cancer is one of the most vicious cancers. My planning school lost a very beloved professor to pancreatic cancer about 6 months after diagnosis. My best friend lost her husband last fall after her husband mounted an epic battle against pancreatic cancer for 18 months. He knew the prognosis was poor but every day was a gift to him, my friend, and their two children so they basically spent the last year doing things together as a family and making memories for the kids.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally posted by kjelsadek View post
    I am so sorry to hear this. Pancreatic cancer is one of the most vicious cancers. My planning school lost a very beloved professor to pancreatic cancer about 6 months after diagnosis. My best friend lost her husband last fall after her husband mounted an epic battle against pancreatic cancer for 18 months. He knew the prognosis was poor but every day was a gift to him, my friend, and their two children so they basically spent the last year doing things together as a family and making memories for the kids.
    I lost a good friend/mentor/boss to pancreatic cancer several years ago. He fought a battle with liver cancer and had apparently won but then went from seemingly good health to passing within a month of diagnosis with pancreatic cancer. .
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)
    Earlier this week I posted in RTDNTOTO about a former coworker who was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. Today she sent some of us a bit more information - after some more tests it turns out she has stage IV pancreatic cancer that has migrated to her lungs and her liver. ...
    Please suggest to her caringbridge.org. It's very helpful for major illness and palliative care. There's a guestbook where far-flung friends can "visit" and the family can put up lots of photos and updates. Very helpful, caring, and supportive.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Veloise View post
    Please suggest to her caringbridge.org. It's very helpful for major illness and palliative care. There's a guestbook where far-flung friends can "visit" and the family can put up lots of photos and updates. Very helpful, caring, and supportive.
    Phenomenal site, you introduced me to it when your father was ill and one of my oldest friends has a special needs little girl who underwent a hemispherectomy to remove a sizable portion of her brain to stop near constant debilitating seizures. All of us were able to follow her recovery and it was easy for my friend to just update in one place and ping a notice to Facebook.

Quote Originally posted by SW MI Planner
    I just now got caught up on what kjelsadek and beach_bum have went through, glad things are going well. How very scary.
    It was very scary, you think you have one thing that's fairly mundane and whammo you find out it's something entirely different. I've made a full recovery and thankfully had no complications. The prognosis is very good provided I take care of my remaining kidney and make some lifestyle changes, which I am doing with full effort. I am back to having no insurance though since the job offer I received which would have given me excellent benefits was tabled due to municipal budget issues. So the follow up is going to be a little difficult until I land a job with insurance. Unfortunately the only insurance I can qualify for is the state high risk insurance pool which will cost $325/month and is the same exact plan I had with my previous employer, but I have to be uninsured for 6 months until I am eligible

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm having a procedure to remove a suspected leukoplakia in the back of my mouth next Friday. I'm more concerned about The Man who is having some other health related issues.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by RichmondJake View post
    I'm having a procedure to remove a suspected leukoplakia in the back of my mouth next Friday. I'm more concerned about The Man who is having some other health related issues.
    I Googled leukoplakia - YIKES.
    Doctor or Dentist find it ?
    What are you giving up to prevent a reoccurance ?
    Oddball

Registered
    May 2003

Katie's Sis & Sis' Dog

What a sad turn of events in the last few hours. First, some background.....

Katie's sister (a few years older than this Bear) was in the hospital for about a week. She has serious health issues that may not be cured. During her time in the hospital Katie had to drive back and forth between our Swanton home and Toledo suburb Maumee, to take care of her sister's special needs daughter. Finally on Friday, Katie was able to bring her sis home, hopefully to do all the right things to get back in somewhat good health. Katie's stress level was very high when all of this went on. The weekend was a godsend for Katie.....finally some time for herself. (Then, our central air conditioning went out, and the temps over the weekend were in the 90s.)

Tonight, just as I arrive home, Katie arrives, in a panic. The special needs daughter had taken Kayla, the tiny dog, for a walk. A 2-hour walk, with no rest and no water. The dog passed out and the daughter continued to drag the dog back home. The daughter then went into a semi-shock, probably because of what she did (and not fully understanding the consequences of her actions). A retired nurse who lives in the same apartment complex took the daughter into her home, to calm her down. Meanwhile, visiting nurses arrived (to talk with Katie's sister, a scheduled visit.) That was at the same time that the little dog was dragged to the front steps. They took the dog to a local vet. Katie informs me of all of these events and leaves our Swanton home, with her son and a son's friend, to go to the vet, to see if Kayla can be saved.

Kayla is in extremely bad shape but seems to perk up just a bit when hearing Katie's voice. At this time, Katie and her son (and son's friend) agree to take Kayla to an emergency animal hospital. On the way they have to pass the apartment complex where Katie's sister lives. They see an ambulance turning into the complex. Fearing the worst, they turn into the complex. The ambulance had been called because the daughter's panic attacks were getting seriously out of control. This is taking place at an adjacent building. Katie's son rings the bell at Katie's daughter's apartment, to alert her of her daughter's condition. There is no answer.

He uses Katie's key to get in the apartment and finds Katie's sister on the floor, with blood coming from her face. He rushes over to the ambulance attendents (who are administering to the daughter) and asks for their emergency help. Luckily, it is not serious: She fell when she went to answer the door and had a bloody nose.

At this time I am waiting for Katie to call me back. I may have to drive into Maumee to get her.....she is a basket case because of all that has taken place. And I am hoping for the best for the daughter and for the dog, Kayla.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    ^^ Jeebus that is no easy situation for anyone involved. I hope it all works out as well as it can. Perhaps doggy can go home with someone more able to care for her for the time being if she pulls through. I know Katie's sister has been going through it, has any thought been given to what will happen to her special needs daughter once she is unable to care for her any longer?

Tough decisions. I will definitely be keeping the family in my thoughts.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    OMG, Bear, I don't even know what I could say to console Katie after the day she's having.

Might it be time to move her sister nearer to you?

+ Reply to thread
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 15 24 25 26 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bottled Water Reality Check
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Jul 2012, 6:11 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Dec 2009, 10:29 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 08 May 2007, 5:00 PM
  4. Replies: 4