Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast

Thread: Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Today marks the 3-year anniversary of my pulmonary embolism. I remember sitting on the gurney in the ER and thinking to myself, "huh, there is a good chance I may die." No flashes of my life, no nothing, just sitting there thinking it might be my time.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    ...Mrs. Cardinal has been in rehab for a year after surgery on her leg due to a car accident... Her mother is going into the hospital for major surgery in April. My father is having heart problems and will need surgery as well. Our baby girl (dog) who has been with us for 13 years was diagnosed with cancer and is expected to pass by summer...
    Mrs Cardinal continues in rehab, but is making progress. Her mother had surgery and all has gone well. We had a scare just before that with my father. He was having chest pains, and a new cardiologist thought that more might be wrong. He had an angiogram the day after Mrs. Cardinal's mom had her surgery. They found a nearly blocked artery and immediately inserted a stent. He is expected to return to normal before long.

Things have not gone as well with our baby girl. We had her leg removed last month and hoped for that slight chance that the cancer had not spread. She has been having problems, though. After initially making great progress she suddenly had problems with her balance. We think that might have just been a sinus infection. Then she has had blood in her urine, which might have been an infection or bladder stone. But today we took her in for x-rays. She has developed several new tumors in her lungs. It is likely that she has one in her bladder. Her time is coming to an end. We are serving her eggs for breakfast, in bed, and she is eating whatever we have for dinner. Last night it was tri-tip. tonight it was a chicken breast. All we can do now is make her comfortable and happy, but I expect we will lose her as soon as next week.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal View post
    Mrs Cardinal continues in rehab, but is making progress. Her mother had surgery and all has gone well. We had a scare just before that with my father. He was having chest pains, and a new cardiologist thought that more might be wrong. He had an angiogram the day after Mrs. Cardinal's mom had her surgery. They found a nearly blocked artery and immediately inserted a stent. He is expected to return to normal before long.

Things have not gone as well with our baby girl. We had her leg removed last month and hoped for that slight chance that the cancer had not spread. She has been having problems, though. After initially making great progress she suddenly had problems with her balance. We think that might have just been a sinus infection. Then she has had blood in her urine, which might have been an infection or bladder stone. But today we took her in for x-rays. She has developed several new tumors in her lungs. It is likely that she has one in her bladder. Her time is coming to an end. We are serving her eggs for breakfast, in bed, and she is eating whatever we have for dinner. Last night it was tri-tip. tonight it was a chicken breast. All we can do now is make her comfortable and happy, but I expect we will lose her as soon as next week.
    Sorry to hear about your dog. Sounds like it's be a bit stressful at the Cardinal nest.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Robin Roberts

I don't usually watch Good Morning, America, because my work schedule is such that I am already at the office by 7:00 AM. Katie watches it every morning and enjoys those who present the show. Robin Roberts, one of those on the show, went through breast cancer treatment about five years ago. On Monday's program she told viewers that she has been diagnosed with MDS, a bone marrow disease that (very rarely) can be traced to chemotherapy. Thus, the past couple days they have been discussing bone marrow transplants.....and Robin is scheduled for a transplant later this year.

This Bear had one. So far, after about six years, it saved my ass (and the rest of me, too). I was fortunate, I had a bone marrow transplant that used my own bone marrow. No external donor was needed. Robin's transplant requires an external donor. Her sister is a perfect match. Here's hoping she does well and joins the crowd of those who have had successful BMTs.

In the days prior-to my bone marrow transplant they did "high dose" chemotherapy. During the 20-some days I spend in the hospital after the BMT my room smelled like tomatoes. Nurses told me that was normal. Odd.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2005

Alcohol

I've always considered myself a "drinker".

I partied hard in college and shortly after college. I hit up the bars frequently and attended many house parties. Binge drinking was the norm.

After we had our first daughter 9 years ago, the Frank The Tank side of me went away. No more binge drinking. Over the years this was slowly replaced by having a few cocktails each night at home, with a few extra on the weekends. I rarely ever drank enough to consider it binge drinking by my book. But usually enough that when my head hit the pillow at night, I was sleeping in no time. I rarely go out to bars, so my drinking was mainly at home, unless I had some out at dinner.

My wife isn't a drinker (maybe a glass a wine once a month), so I usually had my nightly cocktails alone.

Over the years, my "few" cocktails at night turned into more and more. Now, I never drank to the point of blacking out, missing work, harming relationships, and I absolutely never drove drunk. And I would even made sure I got 7-8 hours of sleep at night. But I would wake up on some mornings still feeling the lingering effect. Although I would not directly hide my nightly cocktails from my wife, I typically would buy some alcholic beverages on my own time and not during our grocery runs. My wife would ocassionaly bring up my habits.

Well last week she confronted my about it more seriously than ever before. Not necessarly about the drinking itself, but about me being scretive about it. I told her she was right and that I felt guilty because she wasn't a drinker and that I knew it wasn't healthy.

Needless to say, I had moment of clarity. I realized that she was right, and that my behavior and amount I was drinking was either borderline alcoholic, or very unhealthy, or both.

Now, I'm not here to say that I'm becoming a teetotaler. But rather, I realized my behavior was unhealthy and that I wasn't even really enjoying my nightly cocktails. It had simply become a habit.

I'm also not here to make some grand declaration about my intentions, but simply to say that I plan on cutting back how much I drink, knowing that I'll be so much healthier for it.
    "I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

Registered
    May 2004

Alcohol

Not really a life trheatening illness. but a reality check maybe btrage?

I too tend to drink too much - at least according to the doctors. But my tolerance and size is such that I can have four beers and probably still be around the legal limit. No negative effects or negative personality effects that I am aware of, and I definitely enjoy my beer. Plus- I'm Irish! But I am always honset when the doc asks me how much I drink and he always lectures me. I tend to be of the opinion that if its under control and not causing any health or life problems, why not indulge a little if you enjoy? who do those doctors think they are anyways? Personally, I try to keep my drinks to less than 4 a night, with an occassional day off and an occasional bender with friends. Having known some true alcoholics, even if you are at 6 drinks a night but its not causing too many problems for you I would say you are still nowhere close to having a serious alcohol problem IMO. True alcoholism is scary stuff.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Good for you and your wife for recognizing something before it became a problem and getting on a path to stopping it before it 'took over' your life. I agree that when you become secretive about something and you are trying to hide something, whether the reasons are good or bad, problems tend to follow. It's always good to come clean.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    May 2003

Here We Go Again

For the past few months this Bear has been ailing and showing some of the symptoms of Hodgkin's Lymphoma (thought eradicated with my bone marrow transplant about 6 years ago). In addition to extreme fatigue I have been experiencing periodic night sweats (and some daytime sweats) and I have a cough that just will not go away. And, the scary part, I have a growing lump just below the surface of the skin, right groin area. Katie and I talked with the surgeon who is going to remove it this Monday. During this pre-op examination I broke out in a drenching sweat AND he indicated that the lump is a concern. Based on his observations he ordered an immediate Cat Scan and some blood tests. I have no CT Scan results, yet.

In the summer of 1996 I had a golf ball sized lump under the left arm. It was surgically removed and even before I re-entered Earth as the drugs wore off the doc talked with Katie and told her that the biopsy was clearly Hodgkin's. Of course, massive multiple raditions, chemo, high-dose chemo, and the bone marrow transplant have kept Mr. C at bay. I am quite sure that the surgeon on Monday will know right away, as he rips more lymph node tissue from a hopeful Bruin.

So, here we go again. Raise a Rolling Rock in the air, yell out "Nastrovia", and wish me luck.

If it is not the return of Mr. C my guess is that they will do other tests to find out what exactly ails me. Other than propensity for silly.
    _____

I wonder how much coffee the biopsy surgeon will drink Monday prior to my walk with a really sharp knife? Right groin, dangerously close to "the hang gang". Eeek! On the bright side, if I would finish my life as a woman I would get to hang around women-only places. Maybe I'll wiggle a bit during the slicing and dicing.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Geez, BUN; keeping my fingers crossed for you and Katie.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Hang tough Bear.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Bear, we'll all be pulling for you.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'll say a prayer for you, BUN.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Wishing for the best BUN.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Aug 2004
    BUN - I'll keep my fingers crossed all day for you! Positive thoughts are flowing your way already!
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Hoping you didn't wiggle and everything went okay today, Bear.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Registered
    Mar 2002
    BUN, today, in solidariry with you, I am a BOW. Good luck, and I'm pulling for you. I imagine there are some BBE, BDS, and many BITM wishing you the best.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    My thoughts are with you Bear. Nasdrovia!

Registered
    May 2005
    To the Bear! <raising green bottle> *clink!*

To a happy outcome. Good luck with everything. Very sorry to hear about it all!
    The purpose of life is a life of purpose

Registered
    Mar 2007
    x100 to all the sentiments already expressed BUN. I will hoist one for you tonight.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    May 2004
    I'll definitely drink one to you tonight BUN. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
    Children in the back seat can cause accidents - and vice versa.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Best of luck Bear!!! My youngest brother ( he will be 20 in November) had his first PET scan today after his his 4th chemo treatment. He also has Hodgkin's Lymphoma.
    Also, my best to Katie, I am sure this is taking a toll on her as well!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    May 2008
    Best of luck to you, BUN, and Katie. I admire your optimism and zest for life.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I know we'll all be thinking about you, Bear, hoping it goes well.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    May 2003

Thank You

Thank you for all the warm responses. Makes me feel good.
    _____

The surgery went well. Minor pain this morning, 21 hours later. I am still carrying "the hang gang" so my plans to inhabit women-only places faded. The surgeon did indicate it appears that Hodgkin's Lymphoma has returned. The Cat Scan showed an A-OK chest and neck area but some growths in the abdomen. I will be seeing the oncology doctor on Monday to see what the next step is. Taking a couple days off to give the surgical spot a chance to begin healing (with not a lot of body movement). I will probably go back to the workplace on Thursday but stay in my office. Next week I am on vacation but we are not traveling, other than to the oncology doc.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Glad to hear that the procedure went well but concerned about the results. You know we'll all be hoping for the best possible outcome for you.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

+ Reply to thread
Page 29 of 35 FirstFirst ... 19 28 29 30 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bottled Water Reality Check
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Jul 2012, 6:11 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Dec 2009, 10:29 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 08 May 2007, 5:00 PM