Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I was thinking about you today. That's really encouraging news and I hope all goes well.

Best wishes from the land of Rolling Rock.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Congrats on the good news, Bear. When will you be going for the transplant?

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North

Bear and Mrs. Bear plan to celebrate Thursday night at a local establishment, Loma Linda's. Bear will probably not have any beer.

Bear In The Air
    I was just up there at the end of July visiting fiance's family and attending a wedding (well, Cedar Point too) and it occurred to me while we were at Loma Lindas that you lived up there and were going through a lot. If I could have gotten to a computer I would have dropped you a line!

I'm glad to hear things are turning a little more positive. I hoist a virtual Rolling Rock in your name!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Great news, Bear! I hope all goes well.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Congrats on the good news, Bear. When will you be going for the transplant?
    ZG.....here's what I know so far.....

Within a week or two I will be taking a few day trips to the University of Michigan's Cancer Center. They will do a physical on me and each trip will be spent "harvesting" some bone marrow stem cells from me. To do this they hook up a machine that is similar to a blood transfusion machine.

As they collect the world-famous Bear stem cells they will freeze them.

When I finally arrive for the long stay at U of M, for the actual transplant, they will reinsert those stems back into me.....after about 3-4 days of high-dose chemo.

My guess is late September for the mini-trips (harvesting) and 2nd week of October for the beginning of the tranny.
    _____

Thank you to all for your nice words. You are an encouraging group.

Stem-Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Mar 2003
    I must have missed this thread, I have not been on line since I am not working.

So I would like to send my best wishes to you and yours!!!!

I have had a few slip from life because of cancer. My grandma, and just two weeks ago a friend that had moved to Idaho and because of not working , I couldn't manage to get the money together and go see him before he died.

My mom had breast cancer two years ago but is fine now.

Good luck in all your future treatments, may they be as "bearable" as possible.
    It is all a matter of perspective!!!

Registered
    May 2003
    The Bear and Mrs. Bear made another trip up to the University of Michigan's Cancer Center, in preparation for my upcoming bone marrow stem cell transplant. There are some "complications" that we went over.

My severe allergic reaction to a drug called Nuelasta, about a year ago, is a major problem. That drug was given to me at the beginning of my chemo treatments, to rebuild white blood cells. I was the ONLY patient at the Toledo Clinic to get that drug and have that severe allergic reaction.

They use that drug.....or close "relatives" of that drug.....as part of the entire BMSCT regimen.

The doctor said, "You have given us a considerable challenge."

They are now going to consult internally and get back to us with possible "plans". One such plan would involve pumping a bunch of anti-histamine-type drugs into me before the treatments, as a pre-treatment to possible prevent the allergic reaction.

Another plan would be to do a style of BMSCT that was common about fifteen (15) years ago, involving techniques that are outdated and not as good or safe as the newer techniques.

Why do I have to be so dang different?

But then.....while we were waiting, we observed the little kids with bald heads, brought to the center for treatments. etc. Some were holding little teddy bears as they walked in or out.

Smash !!! Another reality check hits me in the head.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Sep 2003
    Best wishes for the success of the transplant, and to the doctors finding a way around that allergic reaction.

Best to you Bear

Bear, I have truly "been there, done that". 1996 was not a good year, diagnosed with Hodgkins, wife left the same weekend, two strokes somehow connected with the chemo, wife cut off health ins halfway through the chemo, then my employer at the time said adios. If i ever find the guy who said may you live in interesting times I'l...... Well whatever, we are all with you and hope and pray for the best for you.

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by nighthawk1959
    Bear, I have truly "been there, done that". 1996 was not a good year, diagnosed with Hodgkins, wife left the same weekend, two strokes somehow connected with the chemo, wife cut off health ins halfway through the chemo, then my employer at the time said adios. If i ever find the guy who said may you live in interesting times I'l...... Well whatever, we are all with you and hope and pray for the best for you.
    Nighthawk......my best wishes for your continued good health. 1996 was also the year I was diagnosed with Hodgkins. Went thru four (4) months of radiation. It helped for awhile.

1996 was also when my wife was diagnosed with MS. We have some similarities in our history, 'Hawk.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kms
    I was thinking about you today. That's really encouraging news and I hope all goes well.

Best wishes from the land of Rolling Rock.
    KMS.....belated "thanx" for the kind words and a question for a western Pennsylvania resident:

Steeler football fan?

This Bear is.

Duce Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bear - I'm not much of a football fan, but I would NEVER wish bad luck on the home team. I've been known to enjoy a boxing match every so often, and I do watch the Kentucky Derby every year. I cheer for my son's basketbal team. That's about it for sports.

You keep on cheering for the Stillers!

Hang in there Bear!!

My interesting results were probably a result of my oncoligist intention to put me in the hospital. He gave me a double dose of chemo, MOPP/ABV. Being the uncooperative SOB that I am, I continued to work in a job in retail, meeting the great, unwashed masses every day. I guess I'm not normal. Anytime you want to talk or rant or whatever, just im me. Keep the faith, you are strong and will be fine.

Registered
    May 2003
    Dang, I keep getting hit with bad news.

Was at Ann Arbor (University of Michigan Cancer Center) for four (4) different appointments today, Thursday, 10-14-04. At the last one (1) the doc in charge of stem cell transplant says, "Bear, we gotta problem."

This time it appears to be the damaging effects of the chemo that I had for nine (9) months in 2003 and 2004 and the two (2) 3-day 24-hour chemos that I had in June and July of this year. Looks like the chemo knocked some important threshold numbers below safe limits.....in my ticker and in my lungs.

So, the chemo that I was scheduled to start next week is cancelled and the docs will regroup and figure out a different plan of attack. That plan will still involve a bone marrow stem cell transplant but it may have to revert back to somebody else being the stem cell donor.

We were there a long time and that involved a lot of "people watching". We saw at least six (6) different kids with bald heads, coming from or going to treatment. One (1) child was only about two (2) years old, asleep, looking angelic. Another boy, about ten (10) appeared to have Down Syndrome and was obviously being treated. Reality checks, so get a life Bear, it ain't so bad.

Pray for those children, seriously.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    When you posted this, I was on the phone with my sister, who is in chemotherapy for what may be a metastisized cancer or what may be a completely unrelated cancer to what she was treated for a few years ago. The survival rate for metastisized cancer is about 15% and the survival rate for the agressive kind of cancer she has is 5% to 20%. She has a 9 year old child. However, she is getting excellent, cutting-edge care and her odds look very good.

I am a walking miracle and it seems my sister will be too. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. But I seem to be fresh out.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Bear, sorry to hear the news. Hope your doctors come up with a good alternate plan for you.

Registered
    Dec 2003
    Sorry to here the news Bear. Keep on fighting though, and maybe you'll want to look into some other alternative for treatment.

Best of luck (where's the bear smilie?)

Rumpy, routing for the Bear (not Chicago Bears)
    A guy once told me, "Do not have any attachments, do not have anything in your life you are not willing to walk out on in 30 seconds flat if you spot the heat around the corner."

Neil McCauley (Robert DeNiro): Heat 1995

Tough times indeed, hang in there and get well. Lots of kind love and thoughts for the little ones
    My lifes problems are completely in check. Thank you, seriously .

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    You're in my prayers.....

Keep hanging in there, Bear. Some of us need you. In my prayers, buddy.

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Went into the the ER on Monday with chest pains.
    Took me in right way, warning flag to them was middle age white male with diabetes.
    Hooked me up to a ekg, O2, took a chest x-ray, gave me nitro.
    They kept me over night still connected to the ekg.
    Tuesday morning experienced 12-lead ekg stress test, Doc and tech said everything look good. (a prayer of thank you God that it was not my heart)
    Next I experienced a series of x-rays while I swallowed a barium solution in various positions.
    Both tests were done after a 10+ hr fast.
    Result upper GI reflex creating frequent Heartburn even with meds still bothers me.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Bear, I sure hope they find a way to get you better.

JNA, sorry to hear of your scare - hope things turn our alright!

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Michele Zone
    When you posted this, I was on the phone with my sister, who is in chemotherapy for what may be a metastisized cancer or what may be a completely unrelated cancer to what she was treated for a few years ago. The survival rate for metastisized cancer is about 15% and the survival rate for the agressive kind of cancer she has is 5% to 20%. She has a 9 year old child. However, she is getting excellent, cutting-edge care and her odds look very good.

I am a walking miracle and it seems my sister will be too. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you. But I seem to be fresh out.
    MZ.....our prayers are with your sister and her health struggle and you and your love, compassion, and concern for your sister.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by JNA
    Went into the the ER on Monday with chest pains.
    Took me in right way, warning flag to them was middle age white male with diabetes.
    Hooked me up to a ekg, O2, took a chest x-ray, gave me nitro.
    They kept me over night still connected to the ekg.
    Tuesday morning experienced 12-lead ekg stress test, Doc and tech said everything look good. (a prayer of thank you God that it was not my heart)
    Next I experienced a series of x-rays while I swallowed a barium solution in various positions.
    Both tests were done after a 10+ hr fast.
    Result upper GI reflex creating frequent Heartburn even with meds still bothers me.
    JNA.......hang in there, bud. Sounds like just a "close call" and all will be well.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    MZ.....our prayers are with your sister and her health struggle and you and your love, compassion, and concern for your sister.

Bear
    You are clearly a man of uncommon strength and graciousness to offer compassion (and not pity) amidst your trials. I get a sh*tload of pity on a regular basis but rarely genuine compassion. So pleae forgive my uncharacteristic speachlessness earlier today when I first read it. And I was gone for much of the day. Now I am crawling off to a much-needed hot bath, thus the brevity and lack of grace of my reply.

I tip my hat to you and thank you.

+ Reply to thread
Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 13 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bottled Water Reality Check
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Jul 2012, 6:11 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Dec 2009, 10:29 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 08 May 2007, 5:00 PM