Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Been thinking about you all day, bud. I'll lift one for ya at Loma's regardless. Keep on fighting!

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    BUN, I'll be thinking of you and Katie, and hoping you have good news tomorrow.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm left without words, BUN and can't add to what others have said.

Regardless what the docs say tomorrow, I personally am rooting for the best.

I'll say this, though, Bear Up North, you are fighter. Don't discount the power of the mind to heal and to strengthen. Katie, your son and his family, your business, your fantastic posts to Cyburbia, are all things to fight for. Hell, De Noc isn't finished, dag nabbit!
    Je suis Charlie

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    Regardless what the docs say tomorrow, I personally am rooting for the best.

I'll say this, though, Bear Up North, you are fighter. Don't discount the power of the mind to heal and to strengthen. Katie, your son and his family, your business, your fantastic posts to Cyburbia, are all things to fight for. Hell, De Noc isn't finished, dag nabbit!
    I like and what more can I say beyond my fellow expat jerseyboy in the hoosierland's spirit and thoughts to you BEAR.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Thinking and praying for you and Katie, Bear Up North.

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Sending good vibes your way.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003

Now Know More

Katie and I went to my oncologist today (Thursday) to get the "big news".....or at the least, "some news". Some things we now know.....yes, Hodgkin's Lymphoma has returned to this Bear's now-64 years young body. Yes, the University of Michigan Hospital Cancer Center will be my next stop. Yes, it is likely that I will be going through a second bone marrow stem cell transplant. It is considered a STAT situation so we expect to be heading north from NW Ohio within a week or so. My oncologist is sending the latest scan results and the needle biopsy result to U of M. They will call me (quite soon) and set-up an appointment (based on the STAT tag). During that first visit they will go over my health history and (hopefully) provide more info on whether or not the BMSCT is the route. Usually, they do not finalize that route on the first visit. At U of M Hospital CC they have a group of senior physicians who meet a couple times a week to go over individual cases and determine the treatment route. I may be in bed with tubes within a month.

Katie and I were happy with the news. We both knew that it could have been, "Too late, Michael. You have _____ months." Instead the news is "treatment". Yes!

My oncologist did say that this was his first time a cancer patient of his had Hodgkin's Lymphoma return twice, with periods of remission between. In case faithful readers forgot.....

Summer, 1996 - Lump removed, Hodgkin's Lymphoma diagnosed, 4 months of daily radiation.
    Remission until about 2004. HL returns.
    Chemo, no good results.
    High-dose chemo, no good results
    January, 2005 - Bone Marrow Stem Cell Transplant
    Remission until 2012.
    Here we go again.

The BMSCT that I had in 2005 was with my own stem cells.....called "auto-transplant". (Fancier medical term I can't spell.) My oncology doc says this may be the other kind, with a donor. There are some big risks with the donor-type of BMSCT, including a chance of host-donor syndrome, which often can be quite serious. But it also has a big benefit in that the donor's stem cells will be Hodgkin's-Free.

Bottom-line here, folks.....today's news was as good as could be expected.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Stay Postive and Up Beat as you can facing and dealing with this.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Glad to hear, BUN. I know it will be tough for you and Katie. But we'll all be pulling for you.

Registered
    Jul 2006
    Great news, Bear. I've been on the donor list for years but never called. Who knows, stranger things have happened. Hopes, prayers, wishes, positive thoughts and all the rest will continue for you and Katie.
    “Death comes when memories of the past exceed the vision for the future.”

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm glad to hear that your appointment went relatively well today. We're all pulling for you!

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Someplace between yesterday and tomorrow.
    That is good news Bear! You beat it once you can beat it again. Also just think, you will be right down the street from the big house!
    Invest in the things today, that provide the returns tomorrow.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    BUN - I am glad to read that the news was on the good side of things. Even though I don't know you other than your posts on here, and I am by no means one of the long-term Cyburbians, I had been wondering about the diagnosis all day long. I rarely check the boards (or get on a computer at all) once I get home from work for the day but I made sure to check to see if there was an update. I'll be pulling for you. Hopefully you'll be able to watch the game Saturday night in comfort!
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bear, I was thinking of you this evening and relieved to see your post. I'm glad that you didn't get the worst case news.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bear,

I am very glad to hear they will treat you, and it was not as bad as it might have been.

Everyone else,

In 1990 I was a bone marrow donor for my brother, who has been cancer free since his treatment. I have been on the national bone marrow donor registry since. Please consider joining and maybe helping one of the world's all-time great planners or anyone else who may be a match. http://marrow.org/Home.aspx
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Great news Bear!!! Kick its ass again!!!
    "If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" General Eric Shinseki

Registered
    Feb 2002
    So glad to hear this news!!!!

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Afraid to open this, but glad to hear what you heard.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    Always bet on the Bear. Always. Glad to hear some hopeful news this morning, man!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Reading this with relief. Hang in there BUN!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Oct 2009
    Yes, you are indeed a fighter BUN. I'm glad it wasn't the worse case news, and I'll be wishing you the best as you begin treatment.
    And that concludes staff’s presentation...

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    So glad to hear you're still in with a fighting chance Bear. Hope the road ahead is smooth and like that other bear here said "always bet on the bear"!

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Really, really appreciate the kind words from everybody, here on Cyburbia and from Cyburbians who also wander Facebook. This Bear is doing more smiling, now.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Really glad to hear the good news Bear

+ Reply to thread
Page 31 of 37 FirstFirst ... 21 30 31 32 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bottled Water Reality Check
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Jul 2012, 7:11 PM