Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Life-Threatening Illness & Reality Check

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

Glad to hear that the news was good, considering what it could have been, Prayers are with you and yours

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Good Blood Lab Numbers -
    A1C - 6.9

Cholesterol - 110 - however I am on Lipitor, control my eating (NO dairy & limited red meat), & exercise.
    HDL is low below 40
    LDL is good below 100

No change in meds - vey happy with that.
    Oddball
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?
    Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
    Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
    From Kelly's Heroes (1970)

Are you sure you're not hurt ?
    No. Just some parts wake up faster than others.
    Broke parts take a little longer, though.
    From Electric Horseman (1979)

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    Good Blood Lab Numbers -
    A1C - 6.9

Cholesterol - 110 - however I am on Lipitor, control my eating (NO dairy & limited red meat), & exercise.
    HDL is low below 40
    LDL is good below 100

No change in meds - vey happy with that.
    Doing great! Keep it up
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Jul 1998
    So, as part of our wellness program at work we were offered the Cardiac Calcium Scoring test. Being 55 too fat and a father that died of a heart attack at 52, I took advantage. That was Tuesday at 2PM. Wednesday morning at 9AM I get a message from my doctor to call right away. I was not too surprised at that so I call. The nurse tells me that my score was high. I say I was not surprised that it was high. She shes no it was HIGH. It seems typical range for this test is 0-400 and 400 is bad. My score 1645 . My doctor made an appointment with the cardiologist for me, that is this morning. I am not overly concerned because I am able to exercise fairly intensely for 30 minutes at a time a few times a week. So I am sure I will at least be having a stress test very soon and perhaps more.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by giff57 View post
    So, as part of our wellness program at work we were offered the Cardiac Calcium Scoring test. Being 55 too fat and a father that died of a heart attack at 52, I took advantage. That was Tuesday at 2PM. Wednesday morning at 9AM I get a message from my doctor to call right away. I was not too surprised at that so I call. The nurse tells me that my score was high. I say I was not surprised that it was high. She shes no it was HIGH. It seems typical range for this test is 0-400 and 400 is bad. My score 1645 . My doctor made an appointment with the cardiologist for me, that is this morning. I am not overly concerned because I am able to exercise fairly intensely for 30 minutes at a time a few times a week. So I am sure I will at least be having a stress test very soon and perhaps more.
    Good luck giff. At least you weren't completely suprised by the results.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Jul 2007
    We have those types of screening for our employees too and some have had situations like yours arise since we started them. Not only has the program kept our health insurance rates down, but lives have been potentially saved. Good luck to you as you move forward towards good health!
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Even if not surprising, it is good to know, and better to be careful. Hopefully they will be able to get you something to get the number in a more reason zone.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Thanks for the thoughts. Passed a stress test and went home with a bottle of Lipitor. See the cardiologist in 3 months.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Headed up to NJ to likely say good-bye to my 94 year old grandpa. We were just planning his 95th Birthday for next month, to all travel to NJ and have a big shindig at the VFW, but he won't make it. The Dr. has given him 48 hours from today after a small heart attack has gotten worse since last week. I want to see him one last time but I have no idea what to say or how to act
    @GigCityPlanner

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    My brother sent me an e-mail telling me that my mom (age 87) is in the hospital. She fell and broke her hip and needed surgery. Surgery had to be delayed because her blood clotting test was too high and her blood pressure was too low. Because of the low blood pressure they can't give her pain killers. So surgery has been postponed until tomorrow afternoon.

And me, I am 2,500 miles away. Bad son. My big brother headed over to the hospital this afternoon
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Cyburbian Plus Whose Yur Planner's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Tide View post
    Headed up to NJ to likely say good-bye to my 94 year old grandpa. We were just planning his 95th Birthday for next month, to all travel to NJ and have a big shindig at the VFW, but he won't make it. The Dr. has given him 48 hours from today after a small heart attack has gotten worse since last week. I want to see him one last time but I have no idea what to say or how to act
    I went through similar situations with dying grandparents. Basically, just be there and go with what your heart is telling you to do. There is no way to prepare your actions. You also won't know what you are feeling until you are there. Hang in there. It sucks at first, but gets better.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I went through similar situations with dying grandparents. Basically, just be there and go with what your heart is telling you to do. There is no way to prepare your actions. You also won't know what you are feeling until you are there. Hang in there. It sucks at first, but gets better.
    Ditto. Have a safe drive Tide.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    You'll know what to say and how to act. Have a safe trip.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Safe travels, Tide.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    You'll know what to say and how to act. Have a safe trip.
    What she said.
    Oddball

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Just get there and enjoy whatever time you have left. Be in the moment.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Update: Got in to see my grandpa yesterday for 2 hours and my wife went for 1 hour today. He's doing well, fully alert, in pain, but stable.

So here's how this went down. The hospital doctor who is my grandpa's number 2 (primary doctor for the past 25 years was out earlier this week) told my dad to rally the family he only has 24-78 hours. Primary doc came back this morning and lambasted the other doctor and nurses for basically neglecting my grandpa and giving up on him. The primary doctor thinks with a minor procedure and rehab he could be home in a month. Wow, that's not what I had prepared myself for.

We'll probably be headed home in a day or two depending on any changes in his condition. Glad we came and glad we could see him for potentially the last time. Next time we see him will likely be for his 95th birthday or at his funeral.
    @GigCityPlanner

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Good for Doc 1!

Registered
    Jul 2007
    Update: Got in to see my grandpa yesterday for 2 hours and my wife went for 1 hour today. He's doing well, fully alert, in pain, but stable.

So here's how this went down. The hospital doctor who is my grandpa's number 2 (primary doctor for the past 25 years was out earlier this week) told my dad to rally the family he only has 24-78 hours. Primary doc came back this morning and lambasted the other doctor and nurses for basically neglecting my grandpa and giving up on him. The primary doctor thinks with a minor procedure and rehab he could be home in a month. Wow, that's not what I had prepared myself for.

We'll probably be headed home in a day or two depending on any changes in his condition. Glad we came and glad we could see him for potentially the last time. Next time we see him will likely be for his 95th birthday or at his funeral.
    Wow, something good! A guardian angel is with your family right now for sure.
    "Never invest in any idea you can't illustrate with a crayon." ~Peter Lynch

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Great news, Tide!

I spent Tuesday at the hospital with my family. My father had a hip replaced a few weeks ago. He passed out doing physical therapy and they discovered that one of his heart valves was failing badly, so it was time for heart surgery. It went alright and he is recovering nicely. The whole family was scared, though.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Oct 2005
    Grandpa passed away last night. He got to hospice care for about 5 hours. I know his last goal was to not die in the hospital. He suffered 3 heart attacks in the past 3 weeks, but the man kept hanging in there and was completely lucid and conversational up until the last days. The world is a little dimmer today, we lost a good one. He was a man whose actions spoke louder than his words and that is rare these days.
    @GigCityPlanner

Sorry for your loss, Tide. You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers.
    On pitching to Stan Musial:
    "Once he timed your fastball, your infielders were in jeopardy."
    Warren Spahn

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'm sorry, tide. I'm glad you got to visit with him recently.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    I'm sorry, tide. I'm glad you got to visit with him recently.
    Me too.
    What more can one say.
    Oddball

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    I'm so sorry for your family's loss. From what you've told us he was a great man and will be missed.

+ Reply to thread
Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22 31 32 33 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bottled Water Reality Check
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Jul 2012, 7:11 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Dec 2009, 11:29 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 08 May 2007, 6:00 PM
  4. Replies: 4