Aug 2001
    Good to see your post, BUN.

Quote Originally posted by Gedunker
    ...[snip]... RJ has to stay on the court, though
    Why did you leave me on the court?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Best Wishes Pal, hope to be talking sports again soon!
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Good to read some positive news - despite the pain. Too bad it's winter over there, a cool draft through the back of a hospital gown can't be fun.

Cyburbian Emeritus Bear Up North's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Cardinal
    Great to hear some good (if painful) news! I remember , well, actually don't remember passing out when I first tried to stand after the "old fashioned" harvest. The ride home was agony, and I think I spent most of three days lying on my stomach. I can't imagine going from that into having the transplant a couple weeks later. So are you going to have a computer and access to the internets from your hospital room?
    I will have my laptop. Internet access is still a question mark.....my laptop is not wireless. I plan on playing a lot of Civ II. I will have to arrange the hospital room so Katie can look at the back of my head when I'm on the computer. Just like home.

They did mention that some folks who get the high-dose chemo for the transplant experience "chemo brain". This is short-term memory loss for a week or two (2).
    I already have that....it's called CRS.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Best wishes to the Bear!

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bear Up North
    I will have my laptop. Internet access is still a question mark.....my laptop is not wireless. I plan on playing a lot of Civ II. I will have to arrange the hospital room so Katie can look at the back of my head when I'm on the computer. Just like home.

They did mention that some folks who get the high-dose chemo for the transplant experience "chemo brain". This is short-term memory loss for a week or two (2).
    I already have that....it's called CRS.

Bear
    Chemo brain is permanent in about a third of folks. Um, but it is subtler and more complicated than just short-term memory loss. My dad complains he is not as sharp as he used to be. Of course, others don't notice because he was so smart to begin with. You can ameliorate the condition by taking high doses of B-complex and staying on top of anemia.

Mr. Zone travels frequently. If you will have access to a phone jack, just see what the local access numbers are for your sevice. If you have something like MSN, you shouldn't have any trouble dialing in. Also, check with the hospital about what kind of phone lines they have. When I stayed in a hotel room (hotel converted to dorms and classes) for GIS school, I had to buy an adaptor so it wouldn't burn out my wiring and I could have internet access. HelloDirect.com carries them. I ordered mine online.

Registered
    Nov 2004
    I plan on playing a lot of Civ II.
    Behold... the silver lining!
    Every time I look at a Yankees hat I see a swastika tilted just a little off kilter.
    Bill "Spaceman" Lee

So good to hear from you Bear!!! As to the chemo-brain, I had been blaming mine on the two slight strokes, now I have another excuse for my extreme CRS.. Keep on going Bear, we need you and you are definately in my prayers. Hollar if I can help in any way, I'm actually a frustrated and failed commedian so I might can get a smile or two.

Registered
    May 2003

Finally - D Day Approaches!

OK, you have all heard me yakking for months about this bone marrow stem cell transplant. Well....here we go.....

Friday morning I will be at the University of Michigan's Cancer Center. First thing they will do is to place another port in my chest. My problem this year is that I have had more surgeries than Rolling Rocks. That has to change.

After the port surgery, we meet with the transplant team to go over the plan of action. Some blood work and then admittance.

By late afternoon I will probably be laying in the hospital bed with an IV pumping high dose chemotherapy into my body. That chemo will kill all of my existing bone marrow and destroy my white blood cells (which fight infection). After a few days of that fun stuff, they will refill my bone marrow with the stem cells they removed from me in the last few months. These stem cells are pumped into the bloodstream, like a transfusion. The little suckers know to work their way to the bone marrow and they know to start reproducing.

Over the period of about twenty (20) days they should reproduce enough stem cells and white blood cells to get me out of that place. Crossing fingers.

As of this writing I have no idea if I will have internet access. If I do, you will hear from me. If not, news bulletins from the KFWB News Team will head your way in a few weeks.

Katie is more stressed about this than the Bear. It's tough on the caregivers.

I wanna get better so I can drink some with all my friends, including friends from Cyburbia. Rolling Rocks.....yum.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Best wishes Bear!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2003
    Good luck and best wishes, Bear! We hope to hear from you soon!

Registered
    Jun 2003
    Good luck - hope to hear good news from you soon.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Did I hear something about a Laefest in the Upper Penninsula? Best wishes, Bear.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Jul 1998
    Good luck Bear.
    “As soon as public service ceases to be the chief business of the citizens, and they would rather serve with their money than with their persons, the State is not far from its fall”
    Jean-Jacques Rousseau

I am going out tomorrow and buying a case of "33" and putting them in the fridge so that at least some of the beer will be on me at the BearLaefest.

Best wishes Bear!
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Bear,

Sending a prayer for you and Katie and waiting anxiously to hear from you all on the other side.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Hope everything goes a-okay and you make a quick and full recovery!

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Get well and be well, Bear. We're all pulling for ya!
    All these years the people said he’s actin’ like a kid.
    He did not know he could not fly, so he did.
    - - Guy Clark, "The Cape"

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Good luck Bear! I wish you all the best!

Registered
    Dec 2003
    All the best to you, Bear. You and your family are in my thoughts. Be well.
    "There's nothing wrong with America that can't be fixed by what's right with America." - Bill Clinton.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Best of luck, hope the whole process goes smoothly. Sending good thoughts north.
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    May 2003

The Bear Has Returned To Cyburbia

Well, I'm back. (Line stealing from Samwise the Hobbit.)

I was released from the University of Michigan's Cancer Center on Friday, 1-28-05. We had to drive back up on Saturday, for follow-up tests....all good. A Sunday appointment was also pencilled-in, in case I needed another blood transfusion, due to platelet counts that were slow to rebound. They did come back so no Sunday trip required.

Will be back all day Monday for more tests and removal of the port from my chest.

Here's how things went.....

I was admitted in early January, on a Friday. They implanted the 3-line port and sent me to my room. 8th floor of the University Hospital, in the Bone Marrow Transplant Unit. My view for nearly a month was of downtown Ann Arbor, including three (3) major high-rise construction projects. The University Hospital and all the other goodies in the complex employ about 13,000 people. BFH.

On that Friday they started my personal chemo regimen. Different types of chemo were given to me over a five-day period. For those who don't know, chemotherapy is always different for people. Depends on your diagnosis, the spread of your cancer, your age, your body size, etc. So, a pair of 56-year old men with Hodgkin's Lymphoma may be getting entirely different blends. My blend was high-test, non-leaded.

Because of the problems in my gathering of stem cells (mentioned in previous posts) the actual transplant took two (2) days. They had to pump into me nine (9) bags of cells and marrow......five (5) on the first tranny day and four (4) on the second.

I became very ill at about that time.....expected reactions, of course. Katie says that for a couple of days I was saying things that didn't make sense......perhaps a touch of "chemo brain". I don't remember a couple of the days. I know that I had a suitcase filled with books and videos that were barely touched during the entire time.......just didn't feel like it......kind of like a three-week bout of the flu.

My numbers were slow to respond. Finally, about the middle of last week I started to feel better....much better each day. My white cells started to rebuild at a decent rate but a component of the whites was slow and my platelets were very slow in rebuilding.

They have me a platelet transfusion and thought a second would be necessary, but things look better as of today, Sunday, 1-30-05. Katie is continually cleaning everything in our house, because my immune system is very low. Nothing like the smell of Lysol in the morning. My diet for the next 100 days is very restrictive. Everything has to be fully-cooked (no rare steaks), no lettuce, no salad bars stuff, my own individual containers of stuff in the fridge, such as butter, preserves, etc. No older-than 2-days leftovers.

I'am very weak and get tired just taking a shower or walking across the room. I keep kidding Katie that I will be back to work in a week but I know it will be considerably longer.....and when I return I will have to wear a mask when out on the floor, mixing with the troops.

This morning was my first visit with a computer....and Cyburbia, since early in January. It looks like you were down or something? Thanx for all the nice messages. I will try to return to my position as a good resident of your fair community.

Bear
    Occupy Cyburbia!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Great to see you back, Bear. You didn't miss a thing. hoisting one to the north.
    Annoyingly insensitive

Great news Bear! Wishing you all the best...
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Aug 2001
    They had to pump into me nine (9) bags of cells and marrow......five (5) on the first tranny day and four (4) on the second

Bear
    TRANNY? What kind of procedure was this??!!

That said, BEAR! Its so good to hear from you!

+ Reply to thread
Page 6 of 37 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 16 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Bottled Water Reality Check
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 05 Jul 2012, 6:11 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 27 Dec 2009, 10:29 AM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last post: 08 May 2007, 5:00 PM
  4. Replies: 4