Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: [Geek] Dan's Great Linux Trial

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

[Geek] Dan's Great Linux Trial

Okay ... on the spare computer, I'm now on my fourth distro, Libranet 2.8.1, a Debian-based package from Canada. I've played around with Linux befroe, but this is the first time I intend to use it as the dominant OS on a PC.

I tried SuSE 9.1, Mandrake 10.0, and Fedora Core 2 RC 3, and there seemed to be one majorly irritating annoyance with each of them, ranging from iffy hardware recognition in Mandrake to font rendering in SUSE to screen "painting" and a laggard feel in Fedora/Red Hat, that made me decide to wipe out the partitions and try yet another distribution.

Gentoo? The installation looked too difficult; certainly not for an advanced newbie like me. Slackware? What ... do you see a beard on me? Do I look like a guru to you? Debian? Installation is also supposed to be quite challenging, but I've heard wonderful things about apt-get, the Debian package installer, and its ability to avoid dkeep users out of Depndance Hell. Even though LIbranet isn't free like the other distributions, it got wonderful reviews, all seeming to say "it just works." I plunked down US$70, and downloaded away. The installation went off smoothly, all my hardware was recognized, and about 30 minutes later the GNOME desktop is displayed on zeitgeist, a 1700 MHz Intel Celeron box I built from spare parts not too long ago. (schadenfreude, my AMD 2400XP box, still runs Windows XP.)

I'll share my experiences with Libranet here over the coming days. Any other Cyburbanites -- I know jordanb (probably Gentoo or Slack, I'll guess ... the tougher the installation, the more geek cred) but anyone else -- trying or using Linux or any of the BSD variants on the desktop at home or at work?
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2003
    [pc incompetent]So you've got a spare PC at home. That's nice.[/pc incompetent]

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Rem
    [pc incompetent]So you've got a spare PC at home. That's nice.[/pc incompetent]
    Things is, when you build and upgrade your own computers, you eventually end up with enough parts left over to build a second computer at almost no cost. For zeitgeist, all I needed was a new case and motherboard; I had everything else. Total cost: about US$125 from Newegg.com.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Dan
    Things is, when you build and upgrade your own computers, you eventually end up with enough parts left over to build a second computer at almost no cost. For zeitgeist, all I needed was a new case and motherboard; I had everything else. Total cost: about US$125 from Newegg.com.
    I haven't upgraded in quite a while, so my second computer is bye bye.

I did snatch an $80 OEM Lite-On 8x DVD/RW+- on newegg! rulz
    Dude, I'm cheesing so hard right now.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    i once tried my hand at running mandrake on my first gateway (400c) with 400 MHz celeron, but it was just trouble. The install did not go smoothly and once it was up and running, I couldn't get the machine to read my NIC to connect to the net. When I first went to college at RPI, all the machines were Sun with unix as the OS. It was a slow learning curve then and still is today. I just wish I had the time to dabble.
    Information necessitating a change of design will be conveyed to the designer after and only after the design is complete. (Often called the 'Now They Tell Us' Law) - Fyfe's First Law of Revision

We don't believe in planners and deciders making the decisions on behalf of Americans. -- George W. Bush , Scranton, PA -- 09/06/2000

I ran Mandrake and only used it for a file server and a web server. It recently crashed and since only one friend was utilizing the FTP site I decided to dismantle the server. I am now going to attempt to build another Linux box and use it only for Freevo, which is a TiVo emulator that runs on Linux. It also is a video player, mp3 jukebox, video game emulator, etc.

http://freevo.sourceforge.net/

Slightly off topic computer industry rant:

As for the extra computer, I echo Dan's comments. i have so many spare parts around I think I could build 2 extra computers. I have only bought 1 full pc in my life and that was back in 98. Since then I am continually upgrading. It is far cheaper than buying a new computer every few years and you can sawp in parts as you need them instead of all at once. I think that people don't realize how easy it is to do some simple replacements, and the computer industry loves that. If your computer is running slow you can probably upgrade the motherboard, CPU, and memory for under 200 bucks instead of shelling out $1000 plus for a new computer. A guy i know told me about some work that a computer technician did for $400 bucks and I just thought to myself "I could have completely refurbished your computer for less than that."
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Okay ... here's a thread about Linux, and jordanb is nowhere to be found.

C'mon Jordan ... what distro are you using? Ashamed to fess up to using Lindows? C'mon ... fess up!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Urban planning Linux distributions
    Information Technology
    Replies: 15
    Last post: 13 Mar 2008, 9:56 PM
  2. Do you use Linux?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 29 Nov 2006, 4:40 PM
  3. Law and Order: Trial by Jury - good?
    Friday Afternoon Club