Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: pedestrian bulbouts (looking for pics)

Registered
    Feb 2003

pedestrian bulbouts (looking for pics)

Our fair city will (hopefully) be adding some much needed greenery and pedestrian safety to its 'lil downtown core by installing pedestrian bulbouts at a few intersections.

The main roadway in the area has two 12-foot travel lanes with on-street parking allowed on both sides for a total paved street width of 36 feet. Six-foot curbside sidewalks exist along the highway and along the intersecting local streets. The two intersections that I'm most interested in improving have commercial buildings at the corners with zero-setbacks (precluding good site visibility).

If you could post an architectural rendering or a few good pics (or direct me to an applicable website), the next round's on me.

Is there a better name for these things than 'pedestrian bulbouts'?

Lastly, if you have success (or horror) stories in this area, I'd be interested to learn more......

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally posted by plankton
    Is there a better name for these things than 'pedestrian bulbouts'?
    Another name we use is kerb (curb) extensions. I have a few pics, I'll see what I can dig up.

Registered
    Feb 2003

thank you

now that's service!

Registered
    Jul 2002
    You are welcome

Some day I might actually get some qualifications in planning!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    A potential problem is with street cleaning. Chat with your street department about it.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Me again....

Here's a pic I took (in Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand):

Registered
    Feb 2003
    Quote Originally posted by mike gurnee
    A potential problem is with street cleaning. Chat with your street department about it.
    Good point. For better or for worse, I don't think our city sweeps its streets. B-)

Registered
    May 2003
    Bulbouts are well worth it. They narrow the roadway where the pedestrian crosses. They also narrow the visual street width (particularly if you have a non-wimpy tree planted in the bulbout) so cars slow down.

Downsides. Drainage has to flow around the bulbout. If they aren't wide enough, parking becomes a nightmare (parkers start too close to the curb and never get their bearings for parallel parking). If they are wide enough, parking is no problem.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Wulf9
    Drainage has to flow around the bulbout.
    Nonsense. The storm drain remains where it is and the original curb line remains intact. A steel or tough plastic covering bridges the gap between the bulbout and the original curb (6-12 inches)quite seamlessly. Water flows unimpeded. Twice a year the fire dept. sticks a hose in there to flush out any problems or the cover is lifted and it gets swept away.
    Indeed you can usually tell when the concepts of democracy and citizenship are weakening. There is an increase in the role of charity and in the worship of volunteerism. These represent the élite citizen's imitation of noblesse oblige; that is, of pretending to be aristocrats or oligarchs, as opposed to being citizens.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Pedestrian connectivity
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Sep 2010, 5:09 AM
  2. Pedestrian connectivity
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 21
    Last post: 15 Sep 2009, 3:52 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Apr 2008, 3:49 PM