Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Travel suggestions

Registered
    Oct 2003

Travel suggestions

Hello Cyburbians. Finally school is over! Well, for now. I'm treating myself with a visit in Ireland, northern England, and London.

I want to tap into the mega-knowledge of all you Cyburbians. Does anyone have any "must-see" suggestions for these cities: Dublin, Manchester, Liverpool, York, Newcastle-upon-Tyne (or Newcastle-Gateshead), Carlisle, the Lake District, Leeds, and London?

These "must-see" suggestions do not have to be typical touristy places, but can be places that would be educational and interesting to see in person. Examples can include neighbourhoods, projects, architectural interests, etc.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2003
    Try the Urbis Centre in Manchester. It's a museum and exhibition center dedicated to the history of urban life, including the industrial revolution, in Manchester and to city life and culture all over the world. Plus it's in an interesting building. Just the thing for a planner/tourist!
    http://www.urbis.org.uk/Default.asp?f=1&q=

And let me know what it's like, I've been meaning to go there!
    I don't dream. I plan.

Registered
    Mar 2004

Scotland

I loved Inverness and Ft. Williams if you make it that far north......
    My parents loved the Lake District, can't go wrong with that area....
    Good Luck

St. Paul's Cathedral London. Yeah, it is tourist heaven. But consider this: it was started 1667 and finsihed during the architect's lifetime. I believe it is the first major cathedral to make that claim. Plus, Sir Christopher Wren's epitaph :Si monumentus requiris, circumspice means literally "If you would seek my monument, look about you" is too cool.

Charing Cross is the Best Place to find old books.
    Je suis Charlie

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs
    Try the Urbis Centre in Manchester. It's a museum and exhibition center dedicated to the history of urban life, including the industrial revolution, in Manchester and to city life and culture all over the world. Plus it's in an interesting building. Just the thing for a planner/tourist!

Plannerbabs, thanks a lot for this suggestion. It looks like a great place to visit for a planner-wannabe tourist like me! I'm now even more thrilled to see Manchester as I was half expecting that it was just another ol' industrial town that I want to get out as fast as possible. Now, I'm going to want to stay in Manchester and visit Urbis. I'd definitely share my experience with you when I come back. There's even a show called "Dtroit" on Detroit. Ooh, I'm so excited...

The One: Yes, Inverness and Fort William are beautiful communities. I went through these two town on the way to other places in Scotland. Isn't Edinburgh, Isle of Skye, Glencoe, and the area around Kingussie gorgeous? I'm sure the Lake District will be another scenic area that will swoon over me. Ha ha ha...

Gedunker, that's a cool fact about how St. Paul's was designed and built within Wren's lifetime. There's tonnes of other churches and cathedrals designed by Wren in the City, isn't there?

And thanks for the tip of looking in bookstores on Charing Cross!! Any books that I should keep an eye out??

But, I'm still unsure what is mean by this: "Si monumentus requiris, circumspice means literally "If you would seek my monument, look about you" is too cool." Is this saying to a person that if s/he seeks one of Wren's monument, then s/he should evaluate him/herself about his/her reactions, thoughts, or beliefs related to his/her desires to see one of Wren's monument. Am I being too philosophical here?

Cyburbians, any more tips?

Registered
    Jul 2002
    Go to Glasgow, It is amazing, so much good redevelopment, and just a fun town, while your at it, hit Edinburgh, which is actually the bigger tourist spot of the two, it is more fairytale like and very quaint, a short train ride and well worth it.

If your time is limited, you might consider skipping Liverpool and Newcastle, redevelopment has not quite caught on there yet, and they can be a bit dreary, if I had to choose between the two I would go Newcastle, which has done some cool things on the river.

Urbis is ok, the building is actually the most fascinating thing about the museum, but is does have some cool exhibits. Manchster onn the whole is pretty darn and well worth it.

If you have time check out Portsmouth south of London (about an hour by train) The Royal Navy has a huge museum there where the exihibts are actual ships (Nelson's Victory, etc..) They also have a pretty cool water front w/ good shops and average pubs.

Enjoy.

PS

Don't drink "Brains" no matter what
    She has been a bad girl, she is like a chemical, though you try and stop it she is like a narcotic.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I'd recommend checking out a Lonely Planet guide. They have lots of info about individual towns, including a bit of history, fun things to do, and highlights to visit, as well as very honest opinions of the overall appeal!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Quote Originally posted by Plannerbabs

I went to Urbis last year while in Manchester. It is an interesting building. I was a little disappointed with the exhibits - I guess being a planner I was expecting something a little more out of the "Museum of the Modern City". It is very interactive, but aimed more or less at children. You learn all about how a couple of selected individuals live in I think 5 major cities (Manchester, Bombay, Los Angeles, Rio, and Tokyo if recall correctly). It's definitely more about personal experience than anything else.

As for other suggestions in the UK - depends on what your interests are. Scenery or cities? London is a world unto itself - definitely plan to spend the better part of a week there if you really want to explore it.

Edit - hey, my shot of Urbis is still in the gallery!

Last edited by Tranplanner; 07 May 2004 at 1:42 PM.

Registered
    Oct 2003
    Everyone, thanks for your suggestions and thoughts. I'm just about to leave.

Au reviour, adios, sayonara!

Registered
    Oct 2003

Urbis was great!!!

Plannerbabs, thank you so much for the recommendation of Urbis. I really enjoyed my time there. In fact, I went there two times.

For the first time I went there, I visited the two or three floors of permanent displays. Very interesting and interactive. Used lots of visual and technological devices to engage the museum visitor into the information that the museum presents. The second floor focuses on the question of how human behaviours are controlled in public and, to a lesser extent, private spaces as well as a voyageuristic look at different individual's day of life. The third floor looks at how cities have evolved over the last two hundred years, a time frame chosen for the sake of argument that modern cities began with the birth of Industrial era (which may somehow glorifies the early history of Manchester, the site of Urbis, as being born as an industrial town). In addition, there were opportunities to listen or watch a number of individuals talk about how they have develop distinctive lives in the cities. This theme of how people develop their own interests out of all the opportunities offered in cities was repeated on the fourth floor.

For the second time I return to the Urbis strictly for its "Dtroit" exhibition which opened on the day I came back. It was a great exhibition. The primary argument was that there are some parallels between Manchester and Detroit, which derive from the fact that both cities had a great industrial growth and decline, which then produced a source of energy that led to creative and innovative artistic and musical expressions. Interesting idea, eh? Anyways, I spent two hours there, but could have spent even more. Here's a link: http://www.urbis.org.uk/levelone.asp?page=134

The only bad thing about this Dtroit exhibition was the really poor sound quality. It was so poor that I couldn't even hear what was being said in this special video presentation about the parallels in Detroit's and Manchester's music industry. But, I got a copy of the DVD anyways.

Anyways, I would recommend a visit if you're in the area. I don't know if I would fly across the pond (Atlantic Ocean) just to see it alone. But, I must say that I was impressed with the "new additions" to Manchester. I definitely now not think of Manchester as a poor industrial city that never quit made it in its revival. I think it is or is going to.

In case you're wondering, I did have a great time travelling. But, I'm not too sad about being back home.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 14
    Last post: 27 Feb 2009, 7:00 PM
  2. Looking for a new road to travel
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 08 Aug 2008, 12:32 PM
  3. Australia Travel Suggestions
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 30 Aug 2005, 1:20 PM